Phil Kessel unsigned by Canucks

I know he's past his prime and not much left in the tank but he's always been a soldier for many of the playoff teams, he was a big part of the Penguins back to back cups and put up 36 points in Vegas on the bottom 6. I'm not sure what his attitude is or if he'd even sign here but he wouldn't be a bad pickup imo. His first choice is to go to a playoff team I'm sure but I wouldn't mind him in a Sabres uniform for the rest of the year maybe giving some pointers along the way. 

https://www.nhl.com/news/phil-kessel-wasnt-a-fit-for-vancouver-canucks-remains-unsigned

• Vomit 2

He is not eligible for the playoff now, but can sign and play out the regular season with any team.

Not sure why it would be a good idea, but also not sure why it would be a bad idea.

I think the Sabres should and likely will call up players from Rochester at some point to give them a taste so long as it does not hinder a playoff push in Rochester.

8 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

He is not eligible for the playoff now, but can sign and play out the regular season with any team.

Not sure why it would be a good idea, but also not sure why it would be a bad idea.

I think the Sabres should and likely will call up players from Rochester at some point to give them a taste so long as it does not hinder a playoff push in Rochester.

I mean he has 3 stanley cups under his belt, I think this is the type of player the kids can listen too. Even if it's for a short period of time, of course it could be a mott point since he can sign with any team and who knows if he'd even want to be here.

5 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I mean he has 3 stanley cups under his belt, I think this is the type of player the kids can listen too. Even if it's for a short period of time, of course it could be a mott point since he can sign with any team and who knows if he'd even want to be here.

I think he would bring a veteran presence and he could have a good influence.  KA could have signed him last summer and didn't.  No team did.  I think Phil will likely retire at this point.

29 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

That's interesting, I did not know this. 

14 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

He can help them find the tastiest of wieners and donuts.  SMH. 

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

At the very least he could mentor the young guys with tips on fitness and nutrition.

I know that’s the big joke but the truth of the story was that he had cancer when he was younger and the drugs he had to take after caused his face to look puffy. Any player you talk to on the teams he was on said he smoked everyone in the vo2 oxygen tests every year. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I know he's past his prime and not much left in the tank but he's always been a soldier for many of the playoff teams, he was a big part of the Penguins back to back cups and put up 36 points in Vegas on the bottom 6. I'm not sure what his attitude is or if he'd even sign here but he wouldn't be a bad pickup imo. His first choice is to go to a playoff team I'm sure but I wouldn't mind him in a Sabres uniform for the rest of the year maybe giving some pointers along the way.

No thanks; do you have any idea what he'd do with ready access to Ted's, Seneca Texas Hosts, and Zweigles?

(I know it's a low-blow, I don't care)

1 hour ago, MattPie said:

No thanks; do you have any idea what he'd do with ready access to Ted's, Seneca Texas Hosts, and Zweigles?

I'm sure they have nothing like that in Phoenix, Boston, Toronto or Las Vegas.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, erickompositör72 said:

Interesting idea. Does Kessel has a personal relationship with/connection to KA, DG, or another person high on the totem pole of Sabres' staff? Seems a move like this would only be made in that circumstance.

He got a little close to John Scott.

• Haha (+1) 2

12 hours ago, MattPie said:

Phil Kessel would still skate circles around you if he was 800 pounds