Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I mean, they are 2.5 years apart. If you keep Casey yes you have the better player now, and maybe Byram’s improvement gets him back to what he was. But why isn’t Casey being afforded that same likelihood? If I had to guess who was more likely to improve, I’d go with Casey, given trajectory 

If you get Byram back to what he was then this trade would have cost us way more than Casey.  Byram doesn't even become available without his injury risk.  Undoubtedly there is risk here.  But I'm willing to take a shot based on the pedigree and what he's shown so far.  Not just putting up video game numbers in junior.  Playing top pairing 5 on 5 minutes in the Stanley cup finals.  Less than 24 months ago.  Hopefully he can stay healthy.  For Casey Mittlestadt I'm taking that risk all day.

5 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

what is this about? you keep saying it.

Go to the 4min mark of the video (circa 2020 iirc)...  

It's been a running joke that Casey is a Fortnite addict and it's hindered his development. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Well, shoot. There goes my preseason prediction that Mitts would lead the team in points.

And there goes our best all-around center. On the other hand, his next contract was going to be more than an Efficient, Effective, and Economical front office was going to be willing to pay.

Let's go back to the 2019 scouting report:

Kakko -- the K-Gun. More Ks to join UPL K^6.
        Turcotte -- sounds like a guy who would drive an AT-AT
        Byram -- sounds like a Rebel pilot
        Cozens -- sounds like an Imperial officer
        Zegras -- sounds like a bounty hunter
        Dach -- the excited young snowspeeder gunner!
        Pod -- "Now, this is Podkolzin!"
        Boldy -- "To boldy go where no one has... " wrong franchise.
        Krebs -- sounds like an Ewok 
        Cole Caufield -- sounds like a Tatooine farmer. I'm looking at you, Biggs Darklighter!

We've got a Rebel pilot, an Imperial officer, and an Ewok. We win!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Question: As mentioned, I can definitely see the talent with Byram. From a team building standpoint I find it confusing. But, for someone/those more confident than me in this trade ending up beneficial: Do you see the trade potentially improving the team as soon as next season? Would you argue that is likely? Or is that more best case scenario, with your likely estimation being we see net improvement further down the line? 

What say you? I’m open to the idea Byram could end up the better player but it literally only matters if it can happen for next season 

My guess would be any other defenseman outside of Dahlin, Power and Byram become trade assets besides R. Johnson who'd be our cheapest dman with a bridge more than likely. 

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Not really buying the idea here that this is a "futures" trade.

Byrum can and should be playing on the Sabres 2nd pairing now and for the immediate future. In a perfect world (<--please note) he is the mercurial Guy Lapointe to Power's refined Serge Savard.

I expect bumps, but this is a 146-game NHL vet who has played heavy minutes in the Stanley Cup final, not an 18-year-old 17th overall pick. He'll play now and he will contribute.

Pretty much every one of you wanted the Sabres to turn one of their skilled forwards into a top 4 D. That is exactly what this trade is attempting to do. it's just not the skilled forward you wanted to trade, or the type of top 4 D you envisioned.

I don't disagree with the "yeah, but we don;t really need a left-handed skill guy."

But Adams clearly said ***** the fit, I want the skill.

We'll see what happens.

Right on time given my quoted post below, Something to sink our teeth into ^

So you would say you find it a reasonable likelihood that, in KA’s reckoning, this improves the team next season?

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Question: As mentioned, I can definitely see the talent with Byram. From a team building standpoint I find it confusing. But, for someone/those more confident than me in this trade ending up beneficial: Do you see the trade potentially improving the team as soon as next season? Would you argue that is likely? Or is that more best case scenario, with your likely estimation being we see net improvement further down the line? 

What say you? I’m open to the idea Byram could end up the better player but it literally only matters, for me, if it can happen for next season 

Edited by Thorny

Right on time given my quoted post below, Something to sink our teeth into ^

So you would say you find it a reasonable likelihood that, in KA’s reckoning, this improves the team next season

I have as many doubts as you regarding KA.  But I don't see why this wouldn't be a strong possibility.

Going to miss Casey. I really respect the way he has overcome adversity and have enjoyed watching him play.

I also think he is going to be missed in the room.

This trade gives the Avs a better chance at winning the cup this year and I don't blame them for making it. Can Sabrespace handle yet another good centre traded to the eventual cup winner?

That said, I'm left with the impression Adams stood his ground in his evaluation and made the Avs pay a price they didn't really want to pay.

Hope this is one of those deals where both teams benefit.

Unrelated, I was not at all expecting a major deal involving core pieces. Glad to see it happen and glad to see some life injected into the board.

I have some reading to catch up on.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Well, shoot. There goes my preseason prediction that Mitts would lead the team in points.

And there goes our best all-around center. On the other hand, his next contract was going to be more than an Efficient, Effective, and Economical front office was going to be willing to pay.

Let's go back to the 2019 scouting report:

Kakko -- the K-Gun. More Ks to join UPL K^6.
        Turcotte -- sounds like a guy who would drive an AT-AT
        Byram -- sounds like a Rebel pilot
        Cozens -- sounds like an Imperial officer
        Zegras -- sounds like a bounty hunter
        Dach -- the excited young snowspeeder gunner!
        Pod -- "Now, this is Podkolzin!"
        Boldy -- "To boldy go where no one has... " wrong franchise.
        Krebs -- sounds like an Ewok 
        Cole Caufield -- sounds like a Tatooine farmer. I'm looking at you, Biggs Darklighter!

We've got a Rebel pilot, an Imperial officer, and an Ewok. We win!

He might still lead our forwards in scoring by seasons end 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Okie and Girgs

brad pitt 90s GIF

Adams hasn’t shown trade chops yet… Mitts for Byram is a start, if Byram stays healthy…

Will be impressed if he moves Samuelson while he has high value for a RH top 4 D in late 20’s… or Tuch for a 20+ goal scorer who plays a physical 200 ft game, likes to be at the net, and goes every game.

Show us what you got Adams. You sure sold Pegula… Show us you can sell Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

It's just confusing from a team building perspective and if he doesn't stay healthy or return to form, we fail... again. 

Just as much risk we overpay Mitts and he reverts to who he has been most of his career.  

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

My guess would be any other defenseman outside of Dahlin, Power and Byram become trade assets besides R. Johnson who'd be our cheapest dman with a bridge more than likely. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I’ve accused KA of playing it safe in the past.  Low risk, low reward.

Maybe I need to rethink that.  The goalie situation this season was probably high risk, although I don’t see a high reward potential.  Moving Mitts is pretty high risk as well, and Byram sure had high reward potential.

You are putting even more of your money of Tage/Cozens now.  And Krebs too, for that matter.  The flip side is, does Byram approach Dahlin level effective?  What then?  Is ther room for those two and Power?  Do we suddenly have a very high value chip to cash in?

All I know is, it better start paying off in October 2024.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Going to miss Casey. I really respect the way he has overcome adversity and have enjoyed watching him play.

I also think he is going to be missed in the room.

This trade gives the Avs a better chance at winning the cup this year and I don't blame them for making it. Can Sabrespace handle yet another good centre traded to the eventually cup winner.

That said, I'm left with the impression Adams stood his ground his evaluation and made the Avs pay a price they didn't really want to pay.

Hope this is one of those deals where both teams benefit.

Unrelated, I was not at all expecting a major deal involving core pieces. Glad to see it happen and glad to see some life injected into the board.

I have some reading to catch up on.

This is one of my biggest concerns.  He and Dahlin were bff.

For those who wanted Adams to make a high-profile move, you got your wish.

I'm not a big fan of trade, given that Byram's skillset seems to be similar to what the team already has.  Dahlin and Power are both talented "puck moving" defensemen, and Ryan Johnson and Jokiharju also skate well with the puck.  The team really needs a physical presence on the blue line.  Clifton plays physical, but is small and not highly skilled.

On the offensive side, Mittlestadt has been one of the team's few forwards who was strong along the boards and gave maximum effort all the time, while also displaying a high level of skill.  Do any of the many young forwards in the pipeline play that style?  I know there's skill, but is there the grit and determination along the boards, which this team sorely needs?  I can only think that Mittlestadt's representation were in discussions with Adams about an extension and they were not seeing eye-to-eye.  Rather than having a disgruntled player and bad PR, Adams made a move. 

If Byram can stay healthy, the value is there.  He's a high draft pick with NHL experience, has shown high-end ability, and is still young.  I just don't see it as a fit for the Sabres' needs.

Edited by msw2112

Guy this affects the most off the hop is Peyton Krebs, who should be the 3C for the remainder of the year, and with the likely moves of Girgs and Okposo moves from 10-11 on the depth chart to more like a 7-8 slot.

Looks like that really was a test drive they gave him a week or so back.

Edited by dudacek

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's just confusing from a team building perspective and if he doesn't stay healthy or return to form, we fail... again. 

This is exactly it. Team building. 

We are at that point. It’s not about the long term cap or long term success or this guy’s potential. What does it do for the team, right now. Is the likelihood we make the playoffs next season greater, or lesser, because of this deal? It’s the only factor that matters to me, the solitary bit that is not noise 

13 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I have as many doubts as you regarding KA.  But I don't see why this wouldn't be a strong possibility.

I think, for me, I would need to hear KA say he THINKS the deal makes us better, next season. Not merely a possibility.

He would say he definitely feels like he won the trade, right? That’s the implication of making the trade at all. Like we can start there, right?  Or he wouldn’t have made it.

So he thinks the trade will make us better. Would he say he feels the most likely scenario is that Byram is better than Casey NEXT year? Would he say he thinks it’s a toss up who improves the team more next season? Would he say he thinks it’s slightly more likely Mittelstadt represents the better player next season, but he likes the long term projection?

To me, the first 2 are fine

The third option would be unacceptable

Basically, the only part of his evaluation I care about is who he thinks will be better NEXT year  

If Adams think it will improve the team next season, he needs to make it because he needs to fail or succeed by a true installation of his plan. It’s the only way it can be fairly judged. I want him to make that move

If Adams made the deal because he think it’s short term pain for long term gain, I absolutely hate it and don’t need to see anything more 

Edited by Thorny

This is exactly it. Team building. 

We are at that point. It’s not about the long term cap or long term success or this guy’s potential. What does it do for the team, right now. Is the likelihood we make the playoffs next season greater, or lesser, because of this deal? It’s the only factor that matters to me, the solitary bit that is not noise  

It seems to Me that we can’t take this trade in a vacuum.  There has to be alot more to the plan.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I know there's skill, but is there the grit and determination along the boards, which this team sorely needs? 

Krebs likes to scrape along the wall… Digging for the puck… Kid is fearless.

• Agree 1