Girgensons Is No Longer An NHL Level Player ?

JoeSchmoe

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

He's got another year or two left. You can't replace EJ very easily 

Agree, I was commenting on the average age and EJ is driving it up.  If EJ, Z an KO all leave, and Adams replaces them with his own prospects then our team average age won't change to much, and still be among the lowest in he league.   Not that I advocate for that, I don't.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

All the really huge problems on this team:  Terrible Ownership, experimental GMs, really bad coaches, players not wanting to be here, players complaining about the fans, no ownership for the drought, bad leadership in the locker room, Skinners contract, Powers Contract, Cozens Contract, will Mitts get a contract, the dark and dank Arena, terrible concessions, expensive beer, Matty Ellis, Dan Dunleavy, etc.

And you are obsessing about Anders Bjork?  

Nope. But I definitely don't want one of our regular 12 starting forwards to be of his ilk. We trade for a scrub and KA will make sure he's in the lineup. That's a problem. One of many. Way ahead of the beer price or arena which I don't really mind.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

That is probably because EJ plays defense, has a Cup,  and has a great reputation around the league. 

Between KO and Z, I think Z is better at his role than Kyle right now.   He makes a bit less and has more tread on the tires too.  

All 3 of these guys have contracts that may require the Sabres retaining $$

Which is something Pegula has refused to do recently. 

On 2/22/2024 at 4:03 PM, Pimlach said:

Girgs is on a 1 year deal.  He can be traded to a playoff team, fulfill that dream, and then sign with who ever he wants (including Buffalo).  His only problem is that he makes $2.5M per year and playoffs teams that want him may not be able to fit him in.  In that case the Sabres could retain some of his salary and ask for more in return.  

This kind of trade happens multiples times every season at the trade deadline.  

I like Girgs as a fourth liner. That is a suitable role for him. The return in value for him or Eric Johnson is inconsequential to the point of meaningless. With respect to EJ, he was a good pickup for us, especially on a one-year deal. I would be receptive to having him return on another one-year deal. At this stage in his career, he is a lower pairing defender who is a stabilizer on the ice and a mature voice in the room. If he is not overused, his play is solid. The GM needs to add another one or two players who fall in the category of being rugged and tough. This roster needs a little more toughness to better balance out the roster. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, JohnC said:

What if Girgs let the GM know that he would be willing to the point of desiring to be dealt to a playoff team for the sake of having a playoff experience in his career? Systemic losing is corrosive to a prideful player's psyche. The GM has to show some urgency to getting this team over the playoff hump this offseason. And it should be acknowledged that in itself is a low bar to shoot for. 

I genuinely have no idea what point you are trying to make. It seems to have no connection to the context of the post I replied to.

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

I genuinely have no idea what point you are trying to make. It seems to have no connection to the context of the post I replied to.

I have no clue what you are getting at or what post you are referring to. Simple solution: Don't respond to any of my posts.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Girgensons's game seems to have a verve to it that he hasn't had since his rookie season.  I wonder if all the positive press he has been getting is going to his head in a good way ans has lifted a lot of the negativity off of his shoulders.

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Girgensons's game seems to have a verve to it that he hasn't had since his rookie season.  I wonder if all the positive press he has been getting is going to his head in a good way ans has lifted a lot of the negativity off of his shoulders.

The defensive game may suit his current skillset better.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.