Sabres shopping Mittelstadt?

inkman

• inkman changed the title to Sabres shopping Mittelstadt?

Rivet and Peters are clowns.  But you never know.  Hey, even experts on SabresSpace said Mitts could be traded.  

So trade a center when we need a center.   Trade a guy just entering his prime to bring up a prospect and live through 2-3 years of growing pains.  Sounds right. 

As for what goalie, don’t make me play their podcast to find out.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

So trade a center when we need a center.   Trade a guy just entering his prime to bring up a prospect and live through 2-3 years of growing pains.  Sounds right. 

Exactly. 

Why should we want to keep our leading scorer when we are not scoring enough goals...

Mittelstadt is too old to go through growing pains with the rest of his teammates.  Heaven forbid that we have a solid, experienced 2-way centre on the roster.

I have been seeing speculation on this front for weeks.  If true, the Adams must guarantee that he gets an equivalent or better centre first.  And it shows how enamoured he is with his prospects.

• Like (+1) 2

“If the Sabres aren’t willing to pay Mittelstadt like they have with their other core pieces, it’s going to be a problem; he’s not going to be happy”

point 3 is fairly interesting. Could be a bit of a problematic offshoot of locking up so many other guys so definitively so early. A guy who gets wind of the fact he’s not being approached in the same way could have issues 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

Adams is banking on the other contracts he gave out. Can't pay everybody 

I like it. Trade him 

The GM chose birthday boy Kylan Dozens over Mittelstadt when the former signed his deal.  

Something's gotta give eventually with this team stagnant now beyond the half-way point of the season.

We need centers, we need playmakers, and we need two-way forwards.  I have an idea, let's trade the only guy on the roster who does all that, is our leading point producer, and the only guy on the roster who makes everyone he plays with better.  That sounds like a great idea.  

I have an even better idea.  Let's fire KA and hire a Team President and GM who know what the hell they are doing.

PS: Mitts' best friends on the team are Cozens and Dahlin.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 8

17 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

I like it. Trade him 

Could be. Could be they made their bed with their chosen core…they are happy to pay Casey as an ancillary piece, but Casey balks on the “want to be here” front due to the realization…and we know Adams will accommodate guys who don’t want to be here 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, TageMVP said:

I like it. Trade him 

First, what are you angry about? 

Second, why do you like it before you even see the trade?  Sure, Mitts is tradeable if you can make a deal to improve the team.  I want to see the trade before I decide I like it.  

Third, What exactly is Adams banking on?  He rushed to pay Muel (after 54 NHL games), then rushed to sign Cozens when he had time (literally causing Cozens to become a head case), then he rushed to sign Power who not surprisingly is struggling in his sophomore season.  

Is Kevyn all of a sudden learning on the job?   

What about his neglect of the goaltending in the off season, our PLAYOFF off season?  UPL is emerging, we are almost eliminated from the playoffs and now all of a sudden he needs a better goalie? 

Adams is confusing me with his logic, but I can't wait to see him make a trade of substance (not counting trading the very good players that wanted to leave).  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Could be. Could be they made their bed with their chosen core…they are happy to pay Casey as an ancillary piece, but Casey balks on the “want to be here” front due to the realization…and we know Adams will accommodate guys who don’t want to be here 

We do. Those are the only substantial trades he has made. 

• Like (+1) 1

Well, actively looking for a goalie is something he should have been doing the minute Ullmark's re-signing became questionable so I guess Yay, he's finally looking??

As for Mitts, I'm not surprised. If Mitts wants Cozens/Thompson money, which he probably does given his point totals, he isn't going to get it here. Trading him to avoid the hold out painful negotiation circus that might ensue is a good idea but the return determines everything obviously.

Besides, we don't know what he's like in the locker room. Maybe he "doesn't want to be here". 

. Send him to Minnesota for a package that includes Foligno (and more). 

Adams going after a goalie does make sense. If Adams consummated every deal he was supposedly after I actually think I’d agree with him quite a bit- but we have such a difference of priority which results in a different strategic willingness necessary to pay the price required to get these deals done.

but he’s right: we DO still need a goalie. That’s what I preached all offseason, the Swayman effect: you need 2 guys in today’s game if you are serious about it winning. We always needs 2. Our backup goaltending is non existent right now: and adding a guy also allows us to avoid penciling in Levi for next season and that blowing up in our faces again 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Adams is confusing me with his logic,

Logic?  Kevyn Adams? LMAO.  

I have another idea.  This time a serious one.  Trade Skinner and Mule.  You might have to eat 3 mill on Skinner's deal, even then that clears 10 mill off the books, gives you money to re-sign Mitts, plus extra cash to do something else.  Skinner will probably accept a trade to a cup contender.  Who may have to take a contract back for this season to get the deal done, but so what.  

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

we DO still need a goalie. That’s what I preached all offseason, the Swayman effect: you need 2 guys in today’s game if you are serious about it winning. We always needs 2. Our backup goaltending is non existent right now: and adding a guy also allows us to avoid penciling in Levi for next season and that blowing up in our faces again 

I do agree with this.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Logic?  Kevyn Adams? LMAO.  

I have another idea.  This time a serious one.  Trade Skinner and Mule.  You might have to eat 3 mill on Skinner's deal, even then that clears 10 mill off the books, gives you money to re-sign Mitts, plus extra cash to do something else.  Skinner will probably expect a trade to a cup contender.  Who may have to take a contract back for this season to get the deal done, but so what.  

Quite frankly would eating half of Skinner’s contract even have any impact on our salary cap the next three seasons? We have plenty of space for the right parts. 

3 minutes ago, #freejame said:

You mean one of the only players to earn a contract extension will be mad if he doesn’t get a juicy contract like everyone else who DIDNT earn it? Colour me shocked! 

I continually remain shocked at the pushback I get on saying the Samuelsson contract was bad. It’s not enough to just look at it in a vacuum and say “well he’s ALMOST worth it and I feel bad for him so it’s ok”

nahhhh. It doesn’t work like that: by the *prism of the moment* the deal looked bad - it was unprecedented. The burden of proof is on the deal to prove its worth. As you point out, it only serves to potentially sully other negotiations 

I will keep saying it: all these moves are only valuable *as a means to an end*. We said playoffs was the mandate this year not just because we all obviously want it after 13 years: the actually structure and growth of the team depends on it

the strategies have to achieve results or EVERYONE DOUBTS THE STRATEGIES 

• Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Adams going after a goalie does make sense. If Adams consummated every deal he was supposedly after I actually think I’d agree with him quite a bit- but we have such a difference of priority which results in a different strategic willingness necessary to pay the price required to get these deals done.

but he’s right: we DO still need a goalie. That’s what I preached all offseason, the Swayman effect: you need 2 guys in today’s game if you are serious about it winning. We always needs 2. Our backup goaltending is non existent right now: and adding a guy also allows us to avoid penciling in Levi for next season and that blowing up in our faces again 

Sure it makes sense.  Timing  - I wanted this BEFORE the season when we were trying to make the playoffs.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

the strategies have to achieve results or EVERYONE DOUBTS THE STRATEGIES 

What strategy?  Need a goaltender for 3 years, but don't do anything.  Need top 4 D help for 3 years and don't do anything.  This guy has no idea how to build a team.  He is so far in over his head that he is sitting next to the Titanic on the ocean floor.

• Agree 1

I'll say this, if KA does trade Mitts, he needs to get a top 4 D with affordable term, and a competent 3rd line center who can win a draw, put up 50 points, and is under contract for a few years as well.  If he trades him for picks and prospects, TP should stop the deal and fire KA immediately.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Do we say better late than never on the goalie idea? Adams should not get a pass for finally recognizing something we all have discussed for a really long time. 

Trading Mitts is a reactive situation. One could argue you are "selling high" and if the right return comes back, the team could improve with it. It's possible. 

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'll say this, if KA does trade Mitts, he needs to get a top 4 D with affordable term, and a competent 3rd line center who can win a draw, put up 50 points, and is under contract for a few years as well.

You're not getting that for Mitts unless we are also sending a prospect or picks with him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.