Captain doing captain things

Sidc3000

Okie was very noticeably last night and played like he was possessed. He was rewarded with his first goal of the season. He wasn’t just showing it on the ice, I guess Okie gave a locker room speech that inspired the young players. I know many people hate having him on the team but they need some sort of senior leadership and Kyle is doing what he’s here to do. Be a leader. 

Let’s see if this continues tonight. 

Okposo's intermission speech rallied Sabres vs. Penguins: 'Just go'

• Like (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Sidc3000 said:

Okie was very noticeably last night and played like he was possessed. He was rewarded with his first goal of the season. He wasn’t just showing it on the ice, I guess Okie gave a locker room speech that inspired the young players. I know many people hate having him on the team but they need some sort of senior leadership and Kyle is doing what he’s here to do. Be a leader. 

Let’s see if this continues tonight. 

Okposo's intermission speech rallied Sabres vs. Penguins: 'Just go'

It’s about time, he was pretty much invisible for the other 19 games this season. Invisible might be the wrong term, ineffective would be better.

I was meh about his return because of his declining skills. I know he is well respected and is a great person but I was hoping for a change in leadership. I see him as a quality person, showing these guys how to be pros and great people. What I don’t see is a guy that has tons of playoff experience, won a lot and can contribute enough to lead by example.

EJ brings this element so that has helped.

It sounds like I want KO gone but I just wish he was load managed to maximize his performance.

Maybe last night helps him stay at that level for a bit. His slow legs may show up vs NJD on a back to back.

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

As Stamkos so infamously stated, its an 85% league, but Okie’s message in the 2nd intermission was, clearly this team still needs to be playing at 100% to win.

There are times, whether periods, fractions of periods or entire games when they need 95-100%. They need to realize when and how to do that.

The Rangers blocking all of those shots vs the Sabres in game #1 was a situation like that.

• Like (+1) 1

Hate is a strong word to describe having Okposo on the roster.  

Question is with a team struggling to score and him at about a 15-16 point pace for the season whether those leadership qualities make up for the lack of production.  

The other element is whether Krebs' development is hindered by having him playing alongside him.  Not a major issue, but a consideration to the subject. 

4 hours ago, French Collection said:

It’s about time, he was pretty much invisible for the other 19 games this season. Invisible might be the wrong term, ineffective would be better.

I was meh about his return because of his declining skills. I know he is well respected and is a great person but I was hoping for a change in leadership. I see him as a quality person, showing these guys how to be pros and great people. What I don’t see is a guy that has tons of playoff experience, won a lot and can contribute enough to lead by example.

EJ brings this element so that has helped.

It sounds like I want KO gone but I just wish he was load managed to maximize his performance.

Maybe last night helps him stay at that level for a bit. His slow legs may show up vs NJD on a back to back.

Slow legs indeed…He’s on his last, actually. Great in the room but if his play continues to decline these kids will have to learn to fish for themselves. Presumably this is KO’s last year in leading them to water: he’s certainly not bringing home many fish outright  

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

On 11/25/2023 at 8:29 PM, klos1963 said:

and what has that vet leadership got us?  Not meant to bash him, but come on.

So the presumption is that because it hasn't improved the team that it's not helpful?  But, what if without the team was even worse?

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 11/25/2023 at 5:29 PM, klos1963 said:

this

He's a super nice guy with lots of experience but doesn't hold the room accountable.

They need a leader who isn't afraid to call guys out.

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/25/2023 at 8:29 PM, klos1963 said:

Agree, but once again this was another poor decision by the team.  Bringing him back is debatable, but giving him the C was a poor decision in light of the expectation that KO is gone after this year.  If I am on a team, I want a leader that I think is going to be around, not a lame duck 4th liner.  Tuch should have a letter on his sweater, whether it be an A or a C even (personally I think he would have flourished as our "C").

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.