Isak Rosén Interview, Nov 20, 2023

LGR4GM

• LGR4GM changed the title to Isak Rosén Interview, Nov 20, 2023

I wasn't a big fan of the pick of Rosen, at the time.  He was very small and you never know how guys will grow.  He had shown out at one international tournament, but his day-to-day numbers weren't that great.  That said, the Sabres picked him right around where the experts had ranked him, so it wasn't one of those reach picks where the Sabres were trying to outsmart everyone, or one of those picks where a guy dropped way down and the Sabres swooped in the for the "steal" (like Grigerenko).  It looks like the kid has grown physically and mentally and he's been well-served with development time in the AHL, so I'll just give credit to the Sabres on this one.  Of course, he hasn't made it to the NHL yet, but he appears to be on track to be a successful draft and develop type of player that has been properly managed.  I suspect he'll get a few games in Buffalo this year and make the team next year.

Edited by msw2112

Great stuff. Love his attitude and personality. 

His statement about working his a** off to get stronger and faster is what you want to see from all our young players.

That’s what Benson needs to do (especially given he’s not as fast as, say, a Rosen or Savoie - though his skill sets are of a different sort). 

Lots of promise from these young players. Really hope they pan out. I’d move to see Rosen and Kulich make the roster next year. And be called up at the end of the year. Also good to have Dahlin locked up - I am sure he’ll be a positive influence on Rosen. 

On 11/20/2023 at 9:28 PM, inkman said:

IMG_4221.png

He is scoring more but Kulich is the only player under 20 in the top 10 in goals in the AHL. 

Rosen is a better passer and overall skilled player. Kulich is bigger with more goal scoring / sniper ability. Two different players who mesh well, imo. I’d like to see them both called up late and also hopefully make the team next year and play together. 

32 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Where did the "Ro ZAY un" pronunciation come from?  He said it "RO zun" in the video.

I recall Gord Miller from TSN pronouncing it Rozayun at the WJ. He does his homework on Euro pronounciatiations, asking players, trainers etc…

I think he just accepted that most NAm people will pronounce it as Rozun.

49 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

If he says it that way, why are broadcasters affecting Swedish accents?

This is just one broadcaster who makes a concerted effort to get their names right. For many Euros the WJ is their first introduction to North American audiences.

Rosen just took the path of least resistance.

My last name is French and I pronounce it like the English speaking Canadians do because I find it easier than spending time tweaking their pronunciation.

I now live in a French speaking community and everybody gets it right.

19 minutes ago, French Collection said:

This is just one broadcaster who makes a concerted effort to get their names right. For many Euros the WJ is their first introduction to North American audiences.

Rosen just took the path of least resistance.

My last name is French and I pronounce it like the English speaking Canadians do because I find it easier than spending time tweaking their pronunciation.

I now live in a French speaking community and everybody gets it right.

You Rick Martin's kid?  😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.