Casey Mittelstadt's next contract

RVJ

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

“Earned” is subjective, but that is the going rate. 

Deciding whether to spend it on Casey, or on a Jacob Markstrom, or on 3 Will Borgens is how the GM earns his pay cheque.

The rest of your post is hyperbole as well.

Adams has created a long-term cost-certainty: none of his core players with the exception of Tuch will be up for raises in the next 6 years as the cap grows by sizable chunks; none appear to be on immovable contracts.

He will have the ability to pick and choose whether to use that space on outsiders or reward homegrown talent, or trade away pieces to accomplish both.

The tough choices won’t be coming until Tuch comes due around the same time you hope  Benson or Quinn takes leap

Signing Mitts to market value now handicaps him in no way shape or form.

The only issue is whether or not his current level of play is a mirage, the way the level of play that “earned” Cozens his deal has been so far.

Enough with the "hyperbole" . You do it too. 

You still have sidestepped answering what you would pay Mitts. I'm not going over 5. If he wants more I am trading a center. If KA thinks Mitts will be better than Cozens and thus signs Mitts to Cozens money and trades Cozens I will accept that as a choice. A gamble, but a reasonable decision. 

So no hyperbole, one sentence. What do YOU pay Mitts?

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Enough with the "hyperbole" . You do it too. 

You still have sidestepped answering what you would pay Mitts. I'm not going over 5. If he wants more I am trading a center. If KA thinks Mitts will be better than Cozens and thus signs Mitts to Cozens money and trades Cozens I will accept that as a choice. A gamble, but a reasonable decision. 

So no hyperbole, one sentence. What do YOU pay Mitts?

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Personally I’d be more than happy to pay Casey, Tage and Dylan $21M a year over the next 6 years.

That’s because that will be responsible budget for your top 3 centres and I believe the trio is and will be better than this year has shown.

As unpopular as I’m sure that opinion will be 😁

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

But I think we’d agree that the variable is whether or not we can trade Casey for, say, Charlie Coyle, or some other “now” player you might think we need more.

If the market is offering up some version of Devon Levi and Jiri Kulich, I’m going to stick with Casey, thank you very much.

This is sidestepping?

Edited by dudacek

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

This is sidestepping?

Excuse me for not reading and remembering every post on here. 

You could have just said I'd pay Casey 6-7 million and be done with it. Would have saved you the time for cut and paste just to prove I get distracted easily and have a bad memory. I'd never deny that. All you had to do was ask. 

41 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Teams are interested in Mitts per Weekes 

That just sounds like speculative intermission BS. Oh the Sabres are sellers and Mitts doesn't have a long term deal so clearly he's headed out of town. Come on, it's empty of facts. 

Maroon will be a deadline deal to a contender though. Guaranteed. Chychrun would be amusing. Would new management just put the blame on old? Would they want more than they paid? It's pretty amusing if it happens.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Deadline things might be interesting in a few places. Will Pittsburgh give it up and sell? Will Philly actually buy? Can top teams find new ways to use LTIR and cheat on the cap (Boston, Toronto, Vegas etc.). Sabres should be sellers though. What they sell is another matter. 

The Sabres should buy and sell. Crappy trade for first round picks is why they're where they're at. 

Even if the playoffs are out of reach, you can still bolster the roster for next year 

• Agree 2

15 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

The Sabres should buy and sell. Crappy trade for first round picks is why they're where they're at. 

Even if the playoffs are out of reach, you can still bolster the roster for next year 

If I was KA I would be looking for guys with a few years left on their deals (but not long term, just 1-2 years) that top teams might be willing to shed to make cap space for their own big term deadline deals. 

For example some team wanting to add one of those Calgary guys might need to move some money to make it possible. Seems to me it would be the perfect time to get a solid 2 way 3rd line guy if some team wants to add a top line guy but lacks cap room. Or a 2nd pairing D man if they want to add a top pairing guy from somewhere. So Calgary gets picks/prospects (in this example), we get some middle value guy cheap (maybe overpaid) and the top contender gets the stud rental. 

We have the ability to be creative if we want to (and Pegula allows it).

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

That just sounds like speculative intermission BS. Oh the Sabres are sellers and Mitts doesn't have a long term deal so clearly he's headed out of town. Come on, it's empty of facts. 

Maroon will be a deadline deal to a contender though. Guaranteed. Chychrun would be amusing. Would new management just put the blame on old? Would they want more than they paid? It's pretty amusing if it happens.

Adams and Weekes played together and do retain a good relationship. 

Weekes broke the Jonas Johansson Trade 3-4 hours before it was announced. 

Shortly before the Eichel Trade, Weekes reported a Calgary was a strong contender and outlined a possible return package from the Flames.  That was denied by Calgary and Weekes took a lot of grief for this.  Then two months ago on a Podcast Eichel was being interviewed about the trade and he stated Pat Brisson kept Him in the loop as the deal got closer and that it was down to Vegas and Calgary in the last 24-48 hours giving credence to Weekes report. 

The Sabres have locked up their core and Adams mentioned about a month ago in an interview they haven’t opened up negotiations with Mitts on an extension. 
So do I think it’s probable that GMs are calling to determine what Adams plan is with Casey and that Weekes asked GMKA about it absolutely. 
Dismissing it as speculative BS is premature. 

Personally I would keep Mitts and consider a Cozens move instead. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Yeah, let's give another long term contract for big bucks to a guy who will stink next year just like Power, Thompson and Cozens. Put MaGlassias Samuelsson in that category too 

History should mean something 

Casey Mittlestadt sucks 

This team is a bunch of flimsy cowards with no grit 

• Eyeroll 1
  • dislike 2

21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Adams and Weekes played together and do retain a good relationship. 

Weekes broke the Jonas Johansson Trade 3-4 hours before it was announced. 

Shortly before the Eichel Trade, Weekes reported a Calgary was a strong contender and outlined a possible return package from the Flames.  That was denied by Calgary and Weekes took a lot of grief for this.  Then two months ago on a Podcast Eichel was being interviewed about the trade and he stated Pat Brisson kept Him in the loop as the deal got closer and that it was down to Vegas and Calgary in the last 24-48 hours giving credence to Weekes report. 

The Sabres have locked up their core and Adams mentioned about a month ago in an interview they haven’t opened up negotiations with Mitts on an extension. 
So do I think it’s probable that GMs are calling to determine what Adams plan is with Casey and that Weekes asked GMKA about it absolutely. 
Dismissing it as speculative BS is premature. 

Personally I would keep Mitts and consider a Cozens move instead. 

No, to clarify, I have absolutely no doubt that he gets calls on Mitts and some other GMs might wonder if he's in the long term plan. We can figure that out without having to know Adams. It seems obvious. 

The BS part is speculating that it "might happen" when there's nothing to actually suggest that he's in play. Weekes didn't say anything about what he has heard, he just used common sense to say Sabres haven't signed him to a long term deal so he might be potentially dealt. The exact wording matters imo. 

I personally don't want to trade Mitts or Cozens but I would like us to have a coach that would realize that he should try Cozens on the wing as more and more I think that Cozzens does not see the whole ice well and gets locked in one direction. He's decent along the wall though so imo he should get beefed up and work on being a more straight ahead winger (that hopefully would also drive the net). 

I do not think that Cozens Quinn Peterka as our second line is a good idea going forward. 

and I also think that Cozens was paid too much too soon but I suspect they didn't want to do a second Reinhart so Adams rolled the dice thinking he could get lucky again. Trading Cozens seems unlikely to me because of that contract. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I'm going to review this yet again.  Here is the Sabres cap situation heading into next season

Forwards under contract (8) - Skinner, TNT, Cozens, Tuch, Greenway, Benson, Quinn, JJP - Cost $33,662,023

Defenders under contract 5) - Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Clifton, and R Johnson - Cost $27,894,047

Goalies under contract (1) - Levi - Cost $925,000

Totals (14) - Cost $62,481,020

That leaves approximately $25,000,000 for max of 9 players [probably 8].

RFAs - Mitts, Krebs, Joki, Bryson, and UPL

UFAs - Robinson, KO, VO, Girgensons, and EJ.  

Can we afford Mitts?  Yes, we can!  The only RFAs that should return are UPL (I can't believe I'm typing that) and Mitts.  Under the UFAs, I can see Robinson being brought back, but he won't be getting the 1.6 he is getting right now.  The biggest expense, besides Mitts, facing the Sabres in the off-season will be getting a top 4 D.  It looks to me like Ryan Johnson is working hard to secure one of the two spots.   Odds also favor one of Savoie, Kulich and/or Rosen earning one of the forward slots.  

All told with re-signing Mitts (6 for 6.5), Robinson (1 yr @ 1.1), UPL, (2 years @1.75), and Kulich (918K), that brings us to $73,731,088 for 18 players.  The remaining roster holes are a 3/4 center, a top 4 D, a 12th/13th forward, and a 7th D.

Skinner TNT Tuch

JJP Mitts Quinn

Benson Cozens Kulich

Robinson ????? Greenway (?????)

Dahlin R Johnson

Power ??????

Mule Clifton (?????)

Levi and UPL

Knowing KA, he'll re-sign Joki and Krebs and bring back an entire status-quo roster that is failing this season.  Somebody who gives a darn about winning dumps those two and tries to actually improve the roster. The one thing he doesn't do is trade away his best forward from this season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm going to review this yet again.  Here is the Sabres cap situation heading into next season

Forwards under contract (8) - Skinner, TNT, Cozens, Tuch, Greenway, Benson, Quinn, JJP - Cost $33,662,023

Defenders under contract 5) - Dahlin, Power, Samuelsson, Clifton, and R Johnson - Cost $27,894,047

Goalies under contract (1) - Levi - Cost $925,000

Totals (14) - Cost $62,481,020

That leaves approximately $25,000,000 for max of 9 players [probably 8].

RFAs - Mitts, Krebs, Joki, Bryson, and UPL

UFAs - Robinson, KO, VO, Girgensons, and EJ.  

Can we afford Mitts?  Yes, we can!  The only RFAs that should return are UPL (I can't believe I'm typing that) and Mitts.  Under the UFAs, I can see Robinson being brought back, but he won't be getting the 1.6 he is getting right now.  The biggest expense, besides Mitts, facing the Sabres in the off-season will be getting a top 4 D.  It looks to me like Ryan Johnson is working hard to secure one of the two spots.   Odds also favor one of Savoie, Kulich and/or Rosen earning one of the forward slots.  

All told with re-signing Mitts (6 for 6.5), Robinson (1 yr @ 1.1), UPL, (2 years @1.75), and Kulich (918K), that brings us to $73,731,088 for 18 players.  The remaining roster holes are a 3/4 center, a top 4 D, a 12th/13th forward, and a 7th D.

Skinner TNT Tuch

JJP Mitts Quinn

Benson Cozens Kulich

Robinson ????? Greenway (?????)

Dahlin R Johnson

Power ??????

Mule Clifton (?????)

Levi and UPL

Knowing KA, he'll re-sign Joki and Krebs and bring back an entire status-quo roster that is failing this season.  Somebody who gives a darn about winning dumps those two and tries to actually improve the roster. The one thing he doesn't do is trade away his best forward from this season.

Thanks for the review! The cap hit is rising but when doing the maths I think we also have to take Johnson, Quinn and Peterkas coming contract negotiations to the form also. App. 3milj. each. So even if next year is the year, when talking about cap hit we need to look att the 25-26 - season.

6 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

Thanks for the review! The cap hit is rising but when doing the maths I think we also have to take Johnson, Quinn and Peterkas coming contract negotiations to the form also. App. 3milj. each. So even if next year is the year, when talking about cap hit we need to look att the 25-26 - season.

That’s when Skinner is traded.  

• Haha (+1) 2

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nhl/sabres/as-rumor-mill-turns-casey-mittelstadt-expresses-desire-to-remain-with-sabres/article_c874c16a-b933-11ee-b3a3-77dc5e1b38e5.html

I’m not sure how KA navigates the cap issues he created, but see how this team moves forward without Mitts.  As TBN points put, he is our best forward along the boards, our most versatile forward, one of if not the best 2 way forward, our leading playmaker and this season our leading scorer.  I think the News is wrong about not being able to afford another long term deal.   

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://buffalonews.com/sports/professional/nhl/sabres/as-rumor-mill-turns-casey-mittelstadt-expresses-desire-to-remain-with-sabres/article_c874c16a-b933-11ee-b3a3-77dc5e1b38e5.html

I’m not sure how KA navigates the cap issues he created, but see how this team moves forward without Mitts.  As TBN points put, he is our best forward along the boards, our most versatile forward, one of if not the best 2 way forward, our leading playmaker and this season our leading scorer.  I think the News is wrong about not being able to afford another long term deal.   

My biggest concern is, how many more of this core are we going to lock up when they haven’t shown that they are at minimum a playoff level core?

Not that I am saying Mitts isnt a playoff caliber player, but man, none of these guys have demonstrated it.

• Agree 2

27 minutes ago, Weave said:

My biggest concern is, how many more of this core are we going to lock up when they haven’t shown that they are at minimum a playoff level core?

Not that I am saying Mitts isnt a playoff caliber player, but man, none of these guys have demonstrated it.

This year they are not even proving they are regular season caliber

34 minutes ago, Weave said:

I agree with you in general.  It's a legit issue.  How do you keep paying guys when they have accomplished nothing from a team standpoint?  I guess it comes down to whether the GM thinks a player is part of the solution or part of the problem.  Given how many of our forwards are allergic to 2-way play, I'd argue the problem lies elsewhere.   IMHO Skinner, Cozens, and Power are players we could trade to create cap space if necessary.  I don't like not bridging Power.  Of all the guys we signed an extension to, his contract seems like the biggest miscalculation so far. 

Regardless of whether we pay Mitts 6 or 7 per season, there are no cap issues next season.  They may start in 2025, but I don't think we can worry about that at this point.  

37 minutes ago, Weave said:

That concern is very legit.  Expecting that Adams believes when the "core" are actually in their primes that it will be a truly formidible one.  But the risk that they aren't / won't be is there and if they aren't it'll cost a lot of the accumulated future capital to fix that.

Mildly surprised that Mittelstadt hasn't been extended yet.  Suppose it's hard to sell the public (and Adams bosses) on locking up another "key piece" when the team has taken such a step back from last year.

But the Cozens deal got worked on in February; expecting Adams will sit down with Casey's agent over the AS break to see what they can hammer out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.