OT: Best BBQ in WNY

JoeSchmoe

With the team sucking right now, I'd rather talk food. 

Here in Canada, all BBQ sucks (other than home cooked). Been crossing the river for many years for decent BBQ. I used to hit the now closed Kentucky Greg's in Depew way back in the day which was excellent. Now I'm exclusively Dinosaur.

Been to the Brickyard in Lewiston and wasn't overly impressed. Was more like a Canadian level place. 

Any other places I need to try? 

There is no best BBQ in WNY.

11 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Why? Vinegar based sauce sucks. Charleston has a few good spots. Haven’t been impressed with Nashville. There wasn’t anywhere too special in NC in my experience either. 

Those aren't south enough. The only good BBQ in the country is south of Dallas/Ft. Worth.

58 minutes ago, #freejame said:

I just go to Fat Bobs. I thought Brickyard burned down?

I am a Fat Bob's fan, but I've only been there twice.

56 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Lol.  BBQ in Buffalo.  

Need to come South for good BBQ.

No. This is just patently false. It's like saying you need to go to Buffalo for good wings.  I've had bad BBQ in the South.

43 minutes ago, ... said:

Those aren't south enough. The only good BBQ in the country is south of Dallas/Ft. Worth.

See above. I've had ridiculously bad BBQ in Dallas.

The statements are probably true that on average your chances of finding good BBQ in those areas is greater than in Buffalo. But it does not mean an individual location cannot be just as good as any location anywhere else.

And.. quite frankly.. even if it were true.  The original question was the "best" BBQ in WNY.. so even if the "best" is not as good as the "worst" in the South or in Dallas, it would still be the "best" in WNY.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LTS said:

I am a Fat Bob's fan, but I've only been there twice.

No. This is just patently false. It's like saying you need to go to Buffalo for good wings.  I've had bad BBQ in the South.

See above. I've had ridiculously bad BBQ in Dallas.

The statements are probably true that on average your chances of finding good BBQ in those areas is greater than in Buffalo. But it does not mean an individual location cannot be just as good as any location anywhere else.

And.. quite frankly.. even if it were true.  The original question was the "best" BBQ in WNY.. so even if the "best" is not as good as the "worst" in the South or in Dallas, it would still be the "best" in WNY.

I never said Dallas. Thanks for playing, though!

51 minutes ago, ... said:

Just now, ... said:

I never said Dallas. Thanks for playing, though!

Typical response. But you did in fact say Dallas.  Fine, you mean south of Dallas? Since we'll be literal, how far south?  Like Argentina?

And it still doesn't address my other point that you aren't even answering the question asked.

You're welcome.  For me playing that is.  Given your ignoramus response though you'll be having a conversation for 1 from here on out.

1 minute ago, LTS said:

and I've had bad wings in Buffalo.  So what!  However, the best wings are still in Buffalo and the best BBQ is in the South.  Also Southern BBQ is extremely regional in the South.  Texas vs Memphis vs North Carolina (vs KC) are all completely different.  In GA we seem to have a mixture of influences but the base sauce for many places is tomato vinegar and sugar with seasonings. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, LTS said:

You're welcome.  For me playing that is.  Given your ignoramus response though you'll be having a conversation for 1 from here on out.

At least that conversation will be with someone who knows what good BBQ is.

1 minute ago, #freejame said:

I’ve had solid wings at maybe three places down south the last 13 years. If you walk into a wing joint in Buffalo you have a much higher chance of good wings than if you walk into a bbq joint anywhere I’ve lived down south. 

You should stop going to Sonny’s. I’ve lived to the Atlanta area for 35 years and I’ve only had bad BBQ once.  I’ve had great ribs, pulled pork and chicken here. Not really a brisket guy (Texas style).  Maybe it’s the style in Nashville doesn’t suit your palate.

1 hour ago, ... said:

The Kansas City BBQ Society is the top dog when it comes to BBQ judging. Here are the top teams of 2023. In googling the locations of the top 5 teams here are the locations by state:

1 GETTIN' BASTED, MO

2 JANKY LEG BBQ, IL

3 CHUNKY BBQ, PA

4 UNDER THE RADAR, TN

5 Smoked & Furious, OK

https://mms.kcbs.us/members/toy_scores.php?org_id=KCBA&year=2023

11 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

The Kansas City BBQ Society is the top dog when it comes to BBQ judging. Here are the top teams of 2023. In googling the locations of the top 5 teams here are the locations by state:

1 GETTIN' BASTED, MO

2 JANKY LEG BBQ, IL

3 CHUNKY BBQ, PA

4 UNDER THE RADAR, TN

5 Smoked & Furious, OK

https://mms.kcbs.us/members/toy_scores.php?org_id=KCBA&year=2023

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_authority

after eating BBQ in KC I don't even bother with anyplace in WNY. Q39 was the best BBQ I have ever had and most people said that isn't even in their top 5 in KC.   

Have had Fat Bob's a few times and one other one at one of the festivals and it wasn't anything special.  Personally, I think the smoking I used to do 10-12 years ago was probably better than anything I've had here.

Von Miller seems pretty impressed with it tho and he is from Texas, so maybe that says something.

Edited by matter2003

18 minutes ago, ... said:

Ok then... So you can continue to tell the rest of the world we're wrong... Or you can politely remove yourself from the discussion.

BBQ has many different regional varieties, but it sounds like you're unwilling to admit that anyone could like anything other than the Texas style, which IMHO has been overhyped as of late.

14 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Ok then... So you can continue to tell the rest of the world we're wrong... Or you can politely remove yourself from the discussion.

BBQ has many different regional varieties, but it sounds like you're unwilling to admit that anyone could like anything other than the Texas style, which IMHO has been overhyped as of late.

You started the conversation 

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Georgia quietly produces some excellent bbq. Specifically pulled pork and indeed brisket. Due to its geographic location, you get multiple styles of sauce which is good. Variety is the spice of life. 

The most unique place we go is Heirloom BBQ in Marietta.  The owners are a married couple.  He is a trained chef and she is a former teen K-pop star.  They do straight Southern BBQ but they add Korean flair.  They have things like kimcha slaw and a BBQ Sauce with added Korean flavor that is great.  They also do Korean style chicken wings which are great as is their Southern Fried Chicken (Wednesday's only).

• Like (+1) 1

I haven't been there yet, but I am planning a pilgrimage to Nephew's on Tonawanda Street in the Riverside district of the City of Buffalo.

Per Galarneau (sp? (who writes about food for the Buffalo News)), Nephew's is the successor of Lee's BBQ. As to the latter, it was "the heart of a bar-car-wash-barbecue complex that fed and employed generations on Fillmore Avenue."

His write-up goes on to explain how this barbecue has created devoted followers over the decades, including many Buffalo Bills like Thurman and Bruce.

Also, of interest and intrigue (from Galarneau): "Here’s a genre note: ... [Y]ou should know that these ribs are not barbecue, in the classic sense. Not Southern style, cooked long and slow in wood smoke until meat comes clean off the bone. Nephew’s ribs, and Lee’s before him, are spare ribs grilled over charcoal in covered cookers. The meat is turned and cooked and basted, with only their drippings as flavorful incense, before they’re ready. This pork popsicle is to be gnawed, for sure."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.