GDT: Flames @ Sabres, Oct. 19, 2023 - 7pm EDT, MSG πŸ“Ί WGR πŸ“»

LGR4GM

25 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Kevyn thought he could talk his way into having a real team. Your job is to build a real team buddy.Β 

I swear to god if the β€œwhy make a change? we aren’t going to win the cup this year, anyways” talk starts I’ll poke my eyes out lol

I don’t have any faith it won’t, but luckily I actually still have faith we turn this around in season. But who knows, I’m generally very hopeful at this time of year after worrying all offseasonΒ 

we’ll see how the first 20 or so go. US thanksgiving is usually a good barometerΒ 

they need to do something about the 3 headed β€œmonster” in net, Levi will probably need a break if he doesn’t alreadyΒ 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Thorny said:

I swear to god if the β€œwhy make a change? we aren’t going to win the cup this year, anyways” talk starts I’ll poke my eyes out lol

I don’t have any faith it won’t, but luckily I actually still think we turn this around in season. But who knows, I’m generally very hopeful at this time of year after worrying all offseasonΒ 

we’ll see how the first 20 or so go. US thanksgiving is usually a good barometerΒ 

US Thanksgiving is the gold standard. Very few teams make the playoffs if they're out of contention at that time.Β 

• Agree 1

Johnson's post-game with Hamsammich was very telling, I think. It's like he really wanted to say they don't know how to play team defense at all. I think it's somewhat condemning of Meatballs.

Edited by ...
Meatballs is on the clock.
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, eman said:

I've watched both those clubs play this season. It isn't even close how much better they look than the Sabres. I fear the outcome when it's Buffalo's turn to play them.Β 

And last year the Sabres started IIRC 7-3-1 then followed that up with a 2-9 stretch after the D started dropping like flies.Β  The team looked very good for long stretches after that though they still had 3 more losing streaks.

The Sabres WILL play better than they have but they have to stop making the easily correctible mistakes like taking stupidly long shifts.

Surprisingly, the PK has looked good so far.Β  Hoping that stays the case when ComPL or UPrie get the start on Saturday.Β  (The goalie is the best PKer.)

The PP, though only clicking once was actually generating chances.Β  Keep generating chances there and that will get better.Β  But figure out 5v5.

Frustrating start to the season.Β  But at least there's a lot of hockey left to be played.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

It really was derelict and shocking to have the offseason that Kevyn had, and they needed to start hot to not make me extremely skeptical of him getting any more time to play with my hockey team's roster. I will be done with him if we still look like this by game 15

Didn’t you already pay for seasons?

D5749EDA-97A1-41C3-B07C-FBB6CCBF330A.jpeg.51cc5b20d075aecb1456eea4f303e424.jpeg

Β 

Just now, Taro T said:

And last year the Sabres started IIRC 7-3-1 then followed that up with a 2-9 stretch after the D started dropping like flies.Β  The team looked very good for long stretches after that though they still had 3 more losing streaks.

The Sabres WILL play better than they have but they have to stop making the easily correctible mistakes like taking stupidly long shifts.

Surprisingly, the PK has looked good so far.Β  Hoping that stays the case when ComPL or UPrie get the start on Saturday.Β  (The goalie is the best PKer.)

The PP, though only clicking once was actually generating chances.Β  Keep generating chances there and that will get better.Β  But figure out 5v5.

Frustrating start to the season.Β  But at least there's a lot of hockey left to be played.

They have until US Thanksgiving. If they aren't in a playoff spot by then, they will not be at season's end. Not that much hockey to be played. You really should avoid the slow start to the season. All the games count.

Rough night overall, everyone seems to have issues off and on. I think partially its on the fact they are trying to play better defensively and thus its causing issues in figuring out that balance they need between offense and defense.

Just now, ... said:

Johnson's post-game with Hamsammich was very telling, I think. It's like he really wanted to say they don't know how to play team defense. I think it's somewhat condemning of Meatballs.

You're reading far to much into it here; he's certainly saying they need to commit to playing team defense not that they don't know how.

Β 

One theory of mine is that some players are more D committed than others and that is part of the disjointedness we are seeing. And that is what Johnson is putting out there.

Also I think Tuch is rusty after missing almost every preseason game and some of camp with general soreness.

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Which is another indication (not that we need it) that it was a colossal mistake to not bring in a goalie to tandem with Levi that they would trust to start in a winnable must win game.

You should see the twitter convo I just completed wherein I was called a β€œbitch” and a β€œclown” for merely suggesting Adams *could* have meaningfully addressed the position in 4 seasons. Seriously, go read it lol

• Shocked 1

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I don’t have any faith it won’t, but luckily I actually still have faith we turn this around in season. But who knows, I’m generally very hopeful at this time of year after worrying all offseasonΒ 

they need to do something about the 3 headed β€œmonster” in net, Levi will probably need a break if he doesn’t alreadyΒ 

For what it’s worth, the Blues were something like 17-24 and in last place in the first week of January 2019 and they turned it around and went on to win the cup. Anything is possible I guess.

Just now, ... said:

Meatballs is on the clock. This is on him and his unwillingness to address defense.

Exactly, it's the same old same old we have seen in previous seasons.

Just now, K-9 said:

For what it’s worth, the Blues were something like 17-24 and in last place in the first week of January 2019 and they turned it around and went on to win the cup. Anything is possible I guess.

No way this team is even close to that one.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The tough part about Levi being off the full 1st period is now they'll run one of the backups on Saturday.Β  Would much rather have seen one of them against Moe-ray-all.

Agree. Play a backup tonight. Beat Montreal, a division opponent, with Levi. Levi is from Quebec.Β 

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Yes and I have used a lot more swear words watching the team this year than any year before this combined. It changes something in your psycheΒ 

I keep thinking back to that preseason game vs the Pens when Crosby (who had less to prove than anyone on any roster in the entire sport) instigated a fight. He wasn't content to lollygag and not give his best effort, unlike all our guys doing victory laps for accomplishing nothing and being lazy and out of shape. That's why he's Crosby and we are the biggest losers in hockey history.

• Like (+1) 1

Why does this Buffalo Sabres team start slow and by the third period look like they are a 35 year old plus NHL team out of gas? The Sabres are a young 25 year old team they shouldn’t be out of gas by the third period. That is strength and conditioning basically poor coaching. Don Granato can’t have a too many men on the ice that is on him being unorganized and unprepared. No way Don Granato should return next season if the Sabres miss the playoffs again this season. Hire Michael Peca as Sabres head coach. The score could have been higher if it wasn’t for Devon Levi stopping clear cut breakaways on Sabres turnovers. Onto the New York Islanders game Saturday in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go BuffaloΒ 

Just now, Thorny said:

You should see the twitter convo I just completed wherein I was called a β€œbitch” and a β€œclown” for merely suggesting Adams *could* have meaningfully addressed the position in 4 seasons. Seriously, go read it lol

Frankly the only year he could of was 3/4 years ago. The last two weren't exactly conducive for it based on the market available. All the good UFAs re-signedΒ  with their former team such as Andersen, Raanta, and Varlymov and no goalie trades actually occurred this offseason despite massive rumors. When the only NHL goalie dealt is Casey DeSmith (with some old baggage) you know there's little to pick from.

I’m not sure what committing to team defense means when the offense is failing them, especially when compared to last season. Team D is great but ya still have to score. These guys are getting outworked and outplayed for long stretches at home and it’s maddening.Β 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.