John Roth COO of the Sabres is no longer with the organization

Brawndo

20 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

This thread is all over the place. 

Not really.

It started with news of more departures from Pegula's operations.

This quickly morphed into a discussion of whether Terry is at fault for the seeming instability in said operations or not.

From there we've been separating the people who understand the business world from the people who think they understand the business world.

We also have one who thinks none of us understand business and should talk strictly about hockey - in a thread about the operations of a hockey team.

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

Ha. 

As indicated upthread and elsewhere, I have inferred how Terry goes about things. He's always brought in people he knows and likes. There has been no due diligence other than Terry liking the cut of their jib. Call it his Paul Gaustad Principle.

If Terry's hired professional executive recruiters, paid them multiple six figures for their services, and gone through an exhaustive workup of any of his c-level candidates (as alluded to above), then I will gladly withdraw my takery here, tip my hat to the man, and wish him better luck next time.

But that's not what's been happening.

I think TP is a bit of a rube.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, ... said:

Not really.

It started with news of more departures from Pegula's operations.

This quickly morphed into a discussion of whether Terry is at fault for the seeming instability in said operations or not.

From there we've been separating the people who understand the business world from the people who think they understand the business world.

We also have one who thinks none of us understand business and should talk strictly about hockey - in a thread about the operations of a hockey team.

Seeing it appears your last remark may be aimed at my post. I didn't imply no one on here knows anything about business. Only that not everyone you hire turns out a successful hire and what took place in this case probably couldn't have been known or predicted. Punch in his quote of my post was right on. The instability of the front office comes under the responsibility of ownership.

Edited by Radar

What a mess.  What in the blazes were these two thinking?

Careers ruined - check.

Family ruined - check (at least for him if it's true that he is married).

I will not blame the Pegula's for this show of lack of character in these two.  Even if Mr. Pegula has a last interview / meeting before anyone is hired that is likely the rubber stamp on a hiring.  There were many layers of HR and a process in this hiring.  If anything it shows a lack of something (not sure exactly what) lacking in that whole process.  Down the ages since Mr. Pegula bought the team he has trusted his advisors.  Unfortunately, that advice has often been bad if not very bad.

All that said, these things happen.  There probably is not a notation in the employee guide about not getting involved with fellow employees.  Maybe there should be, but that is not likely to help prevent such things happening.

48 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Careers ruined - check.

I will not blame the Pegula's for this show of lack of character in these two.  Even if Mr. Pegula has a last interview / meeting before anyone is hired that is likely the rubber stamp on a hiring.  There were many layers of HR and a process in this hiring.  If anything it shows a lack of something (not sure exactly what) lacking in that whole process.  Down the ages since Mr. Pegula bought the team he has trusted his advisors.  Unfortunately, that advice has often been bad if not very bad.

All that said, these things happen.  There probably is not a notation in the employee guide about not getting involved with fellow employees.  Maybe there should be, but that is not likely to help prevent such things happening.

You've not being paying attention if you think Terry comes in at the last moment and initials some papers. He started with buddy Cliff Benson and hasn't stopped.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Careers ruined - check.

Yeah, office relationships and flings happen everyday from the top to the bottom. It certainly didn’t ruin their careers because they will be able to find a new job somewhere. It will most definitely ruin their personal relationships. 

interesting to see that Terry must have very strong values to be willing to fire two of your top execs for this. There are many business owners who don’t care who is banging who unless it interfered with their decision making. 

Can we stop moralizing? It's 2023. Have you taken a look around? You can tell the age of this board skews relatively high.

Did they do anything unethical? Is a marriage really ruined? Did they deserve to be fired?

I hope for the day when people mind their own business about this stuff.

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Can we stop moralizing? It's 2023. Have you taken a look around? You can tell the age of this board skews relatively high.

Did they do anything unethical? Is a marriage really ruined? Did they deserve to be fired?

Their marriages may or may not be ruined. Immoral, yes, unethical, no. 

If Terry felt that it interfered with their jobs or their decision making then he definitely has the right to fire them. None of use know what is in their contracts. 

i don’t care what people do in their personal lives. If people want to cheat, so be it. They just have to deal with the consequences 

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

What?

I expect to be judged on my behavior.  That's the way society works.

Sad but true. They even will judge on perceived behavior that could not be true. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-lockheed-kubasik-idUSBRE8A81JA20121110

Incoming CEO fired for affair with an underling for those that don’t want to click. 

These things are frowned upon in businesses much larger than professional sports teams. This story had a very happy ending for Lockheed Martin investors and employees as his replacement was an absolute powerhouse. 

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Now you confused me?  What does you last sentence mean?  Do you think Pegula should have let it go?  

Edited by Pimlach

32 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Now you confused me?  What does you last sentence mean?  Do you think Pegula should have let it go?  

Yes and if Pegula didn't he'd criticize him for letting it go. His credibility when it comes to ownership is very suspect.

40 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Unless there were issues in the workplace, yes. Was she given preferential treatment? Was she promoted not based on merit? Did she get a raise not based on merit? Etc.

If it's some morality clause (married people must be faithful!), no.

Looks like a Terry bitch fest in here.  The reality is neither Roth nor D'Angelo is indispensable.  Hell Roth had no sports franchise experience.  They were fired because they created an uncomfortable situation for many and a potential legal situation down the road.  That's on them and them alone.  They'll find replacements, the Bills will still be killing it on the field and financially (more than enough to support the Sabres) and all will be fine.

Edited by MBD
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.