Guess which Buffalonian is worth more than Terry?

LabattBlue

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Except when offered the Expos for $190MM he said "no thanks."

When he was making his push for bringing MLB to Buffalo, small/smallish market teams like Pittsburgh,  Minnesota, Oakland, and Montreal were thrirving.  KC and Cincy were usually up there too.  By the time the Expos were toying with PR, that was no longer the case.  (Though KC did come out of the muck briefly about 8 years ago.)

Can't blame him for seeing that as a no win / no hope situation.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I guess. So was he this rich (sorry) in 02 and 03? OSP (also on the list) had to rescue the franchise?

He was top 250 in America worth about $1.5B when he tried to enter the major leagues. Between death of his father, fairly significant worldwide growth of his family business and an economic climate that has seen the very, very rich get richer, he is where he is.

Edited by tom webster

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

When he was making his push for bringing MLB to Buffalo, small/smallish market teams like Pittsburgh,  Minnesota, Oakland, and Montreal were thrirving.  KC and Cincy were usually up there too.  By the time the Expos were toying with PR, that was no longer the case.  (Though KC did come out of the muck briefly about 8 years ago.)

Can't blame him for seeing that as a no win / no hope situation.

No I agree. MLB in Buffalo would have never worked long term. This market can't handle three major league franchises. And with no salary cap that team would have been a doormat. Then again, he screwed up not buying an asset that would have multiplied in value, even in Buffalo. But then he would have been the a**hole letting the team move when he sold it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

A lot of money in coffee creamer.

Friend of mine works for Rich's. Creamer apparently is a very, very small part of their overall business.

They're a food services company. They have factories all over North America making anything and everything food related. Their customers are grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, etc...

You buy "fresh" bread at the conglomerate grocery store... there's a good chance it came from Rich's frozen bread dough.

You buy pizza from the gas station... Rich's made it.

You eat the pulled pork from the chain restaurant... there's a good chance it came from Rich's factory sized smokehouse and packaged up to the restaurant spec. 

Other than good ma and pa restaurants, nobody makes anything from scratch anymore. It's all stuff from food service customers like Rich's. That's why my friend won't eat out anymore unless it's a better non-chain place.

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Friend of mine works for Rich's. Creamer apparently is a very, very small part of their overall business.

They're a food services company. They have factories all over North America making anything and everything food related. Their customers are grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, etc...

You buy "fresh" bread at the conglomerate grocery store... there's a good chance it came from Rich's frozen bread dough.

You eat the pulled pork from the chain restaurant... there's a good chance it came from Rich's factory sized smokehouse and packaged up to the restaurant spec. 

Other than good ma and pa restaurants, nobody makes anything from scratch anymore. It's all stuff from food service customers like Rich's. That's why my friend won't eat out anymore unless it's a better non-chain place.

I was being silly when I said that, remembering the old "Coffee Rich." But I am aware they are a food conglomerate.

16 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Now you wait just a minute.

Are you telling me that Appleby's isn't smoking its own hog in-house?

You just can't trust anyone or anything anymore.

• Agree 1

18 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

On a side note all three of OSP, BR and TP received only a score of 2 for philanthropy. Kind of surprising given how much Tom seems to have done.

Looking into it, Forbes gives a 1 for donating less than 1% of your wealth, 2 for <5%, 3 for <10%, 4 for <20%, 5 for 20+%. They only count "out-the-door" giving (as opposed to money just sitting in a foundation's funds).

52 minutes ago, tom webster said:

A lot of FORBES list are really just educated guesses as well. Rich’s for example is a wholly owned family business and a lot of the needed information is private. 

That goes doubly for their annual sport team valuations.  Their clue into the NFL is the Packers being publicly owned and for the NHL they basically make overall HRR public (indirectly, the cap is baed off that and you can back calculate it out to a reasonable degree).  For NBA and MLB expect there is even less "real" data to go on.

But data on variations in revenues between teams is pretty limited.

The best way to value the teams is to see what one sells for and go from there.

First I am a hardcore Buffalo Bisons fan and I glad Buffalo didn’t get MLB. Buffalo Sabres fans should be glad Buffalo didn’t get MLB baseball. I do think MLB would’ve worked here in Buffalo the Buffalo Sabres would be gone if it was between Buffalo MLB and Buffalo Sabres hockey. Why? Because the Rich Family are smarter than anyone that has owned the Buffalo Sabres. Public downtown business money would back the 81 baseball games over 41 hockey games. I believe if Buffalo built the original Pilot Field dome stadium and got all the New York State money instead of half what they got. Marine Midland Arena potentially never gets built. The Buffalo Memorial Auditorium gets renovated for Buffalo AHL hockey. With the Buffalo 40,000 seat dome which Pilot Field was originally designed to be would have held the Buffalo MLB, concerts, NCAA tournament and there is no reason to build Marine Midland Arena.

It’s sad because that original stadium would have been perfect for UB football instead of that dump UB Stadium which by far is the worse stadium in Buffalo currently. There would have been no reason to build UB Stadium if the Pilot Field dome was built. It was supposed to be like the current Tampa Bay Rays stadium. Which I was in on vacation and I realized we really missed the boat not building Pilot Field Dome the way it was originally planned. That was when Buffalo MLB was done the moment New York State decided to build a half price minor league stadium. Yes it could be expanded but no dome would have been problematic over time. It would have been a mess with our winter weather we needed a dome for MLB in Buffalo. The Buffalo Sabres are here in 1970 only because the Buffalo Bisons failed in 1969 MLB expansion losing to San Diego and Montreal. After that many in the Buffalo MLB expansion group settled on the Buffalo Sabres NHL expansion franchise as a constellation prize for not getting MLB expansion. They don’t apply for NHL expansion in 1970 if they were successful in MLB expansion in 1969. The NHL has been a fringe sport for decades and nothing really changes it’s here because we don’t have nice things like MLB in Buffalo. So Buffalo Sabres be happy the Buffalo Bisons are in the IL because the Buffalo would still be in the AHL if Buffalo was successful in getting MLB.

Last I have followed the Buffalo Sabres for 49 years and I have zero tolerance anymore for that team and organization if they said they wanted to move tomorrow good luck don’t let the door hit you on the way out because of the decades of excuses and nonsense with the losing. I don’t care how much money the team spends and how happy they are win a Stanley Cup and stop embarrassing this city the Vegas Golden Knights have Stanley Cup rings the Buffalo Sabres are sorry excuse for NHL professional hockey club. This has to be it for Don Granato if he doesn’t make the playoffs this season he has to be fired enough with the excuses in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Billznut said:

I believe the Jacobs family, owners of the Bruins, are also pretty wealthy Buffalonians. Not sure if they are ahead of Pegula. 

There better owners than Terry Pegula that is for sure because there is a standard and a line you don’t cross like failing to make the playoffs for decades. Terry Pegula don’t care the man has no pride as a sports owner for the Buffalo Sabres to suck for decades is a disgrace sell the Buffalo Sabres in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo Sabres Fan said:

There better owners than Terry Pegula that is for sure because there is a standard and a line you don’t cross like failing to make the playoffs for decades. Terry Pegula don’t care the man has no pride as a sports owner for the Buffalo Sabres to suck for decades is a disgrace sell the Buffalo Sabres in my opinion. Go Sabres! Let’s Go Buffalo 

The grammar of this post says it all.

• Haha (+1) 2

Growing up there my best friend’s Aunt was Bob’s personal secretary, we got 11 tickets to the Sabres Aud games all the time. 4 lower gold, 5 upper gold but first row & 2 blue. My friend didn’t care about money & we sold the tickets we didn’t need for food and booze money, always a great time. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.