Sabres looking at Zegras?

Two or less

After my initial post on this thread, I tried to think why KA might have had a conversation about Zegras.  This is what I came up with.

Zegras is 22 with back to back 20g 60p+ seasons with a terrible Ana team. He is an RFA.

Mitts is 24 and coming off his first 55p+ season and has one season left at 2.5. 

Both are similar size and play C and Wing.  

Lets say Mitts has great year and scores 65 pts or better this season, how much will it cost to retain him? 7 mill? More?

Long-term, if the Sabres could have Zegras locked up for this coming season at 7 for 7, would they be better off getting him than keeping the older and somewhat less productive Mitts at a similar cost after this season?  Who has more upside going forward, Mitts or Zegras?

Given that backdrop, I can understand if KA asked about Ana about Zegras during his Bush trade discussions.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

18 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Zegras had almost identical counting stats to Cozens last season, while playing almost 300 minutes more than Dylan last season. 

In terms of fancy stats Cozens is actually a better play driver. 

This is probably the hold up in negotiations,  Zegras wants to be paid as a 1C while Verbeek looks at McTavish and Carlsson figuring they are the Top 2Cs moving forward and will be paid as such in a few years. A Cozens Type Deal is probably what the Ducks are looking for. 

Most likely this is the agent looking for leverage in negotiations 

If Zegras is looking for a Cozens deal and Anaheim isn’t willing to do it I’d hope Adams is working on this.  Trade VO, UPL, Joker and/or a euro prospect (I really want Benson and Savoie to play the season together in juniors so that is why I’m not moving them) and a 1st to get Gibson, Zegras, and a 3rd and sign Zegras for 7x7.  He can play wing or center with Mitts on the 3rd line, or wing with Cozens on the 2nd line.  

He’s an offensive, fast, creative player so I think he would do well moving to wing.  Plus we have a couch that does well with younger players so I think he can help him a lot in that move.

39 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

If Zegras is looking for a Cozens deal and Anaheim isn’t willing to do it I’d hope Adams is working on this.  Trade VO, UPL, Joker and/or a euro prospect, and a 1st to get Gibson, Zegras, and a 3rd…

He’s an offensive, fast, creative player so I think he would do well moving to wing.  Plus we have a couch that does well with younger players so I think he can help him a lot in that move.

Why would Anaheim want all our garbage for their best player?

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

If Zegras is looking for a Cozens deal and Anaheim isn’t willing to do it I’d hope Adams is working on this.  Trade VO, UPL, Joker and/or a euro prospect (I really want Benson and Savoie to play the season together in juniors so that is why I’m not moving them) and a 1st to get Gibson, Zegras, and a 3rd and sign Zegras for 7x7.  He can play wing or center with Mitts on the 3rd line, or wing with Cozens on the 2nd line.  

If Ana is looking to move Zegras, they are pushing their timeline back and will be looking for Savoie, Kulich, Benson type players, not guys that are on a “now” timeline.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Trade 3 players we don't want and an unnamed prospect? Anaheim will jump all over that one. Come on.

1 hour ago, klos1963 said:

Trade 3 players we don't want and an unnamed prospect? Anaheim will jump all over that one. Come on.

If Anaheim isn’t able to sign their core RFAs they are going to have to rebuild or at least retool. So they might be willing to take on some short term “garbage” to move $s.  Plus I don’t think VO, Joker, or UPL are garbage, I just don’t like Jokers or VOs game for this team and UPL still has value. Throw in a 1st and a young high end prospect this could make sense to a team like that.

Remember, this is the same team that just overpayed Gudas, traded for Boosh, and has Kassian on PTO.  I don’t think it’s that far fetched.  

Zegras is a key piece of the Ducks core moving forward.   

They're rebuilding with youth, but for them it's also a priority to have a few key veterans around to mentor the kids.

As per my source (who works for the Ducks), 0% chance they trade Zegras or Drysdale.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Zegras is a key piece of the Ducks core moving forward.   

They're rebuilding with youth, but for them it's also a priority to have a few key veterans around to mentor the kids.

As per my source (who works for the Ducks), 0% chance they trade Zegras or Drysdale.

Who’s your source? 

captain obvious hotels.com GIF

I don’t think any rational fan thought for a second that the ducks would move either of those guys.  It’s like asking if the Sabres want to trade Dahlin or Power.  (For a bunch of garbage as other posters noted) 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.