Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #4 Connor Clifton

dudacek

Annual expectations thread 2023/24: #4 Connor Clifton   

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these best reflects your expectations for Connor Clifton this year?

• He’s over his head as top 4 guy, we’ll love his courage and tire of his mistakes
    • He’s a solid player and will do fine in a 4/5 role
    • He’s a good player and will provide exactly the physical spark and edge the top 4 needed

After a few seasons of hovering on the fringes of the Bruin lineup, Clifton vaulted into an everyday player role last year. He played 20-minutes a night over most of the first 2 months on the first pair with Hampus Lindholm while Charlie McAvoy got healthy, before dropping down into a 3rd-pairing role in the 17-minute range to play out the string. He finished 3rd on the team overall in total even strength minutes played and had a secondary role on their PK. His possession numbers, however, were among the worst on the team. He led the Bruins in hits (23rd in the NHL), and was also among their leaders in blocked shots and giveaways.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=145656

Clifton’s dad says the family is all about loyalty and his son is Sabre in large part to the loyalty Don Granato has shown him. His game is all-out fearlessness and attacking on both sides of the puck, and his willingness to sacrifice his body and go to war for his teammates should add an element the Sabres have been lacking. Two questions need to be answered: is he a late bloomer or the product of the Bruins system? And is he ready for the additional responsibility he seems destined to get in Buffalo?

What do you expect from Clifton this year?

(*I arbitrarily gave Clifton 4, the number he wore in college. He was 75 in Boston where 4 was not available.)

I think he gets a shot at the top 4 for sure.

He brings grit, skating and a history with DG. He comes from a winning organization and will have a greater role in Buffalo.

The competition will make Jokiharju step up his game. Henri can be the guy to carry the mail on the third pairing and step up to top 4 when required.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm expecting Clifton to pay similar attacking defensive style to Jokiharju, with a similar level of success.

But because he will be checking people with his shoulder as much as his stick, and he will be on a more successful team than we've seen Henri on, and because he will drop the gloves occassionally, he will be more easily forgiven.

He'll also be good enough to succeed with either Power or Dahlin, and also good enough to anchor the 3rd pair if that's where he ends up.

Edited by dudacek

27 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

He was not there to score 'expected' goals (whatever that means).  He is not here for that either.

It's a percentage of expected goals for vs goals against, meaning he gave up more scoring chances than he created. He was one of the worst on the team, and one of the only ones below 50%. 

11 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

It's a percentage of expected goals for vs goals against, meaning he gave up more scoring chances than he created. He was one of the worst on the team, and one of the only ones below 50%. 

It's my fault since I didn't say it was a rhetorical question, but I don't really care or want to know what it is.

Connor was brought in here for a reason.  Whatever stat you are sighting is not it.

Just now, Sabres Fan in NS said:

It's my fault since I didn't say it was a rhetorical question, but I don't really care or want to know what it is.

Connor was brought in here for a reason.  Whatever stat you are sighting is not it.

Based on what I'm reading here, most people think he was brought in to be a number 4D. I would want my number 4D to be responsible for creating more scoring chances than they give up. 

Maybe you think it's a BS stat, but it's not like he has a long track record of being an effective defenseman in years before last year either.

6 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Based on what I'm reading here, most people think he was brought in to be a number 4D. I would want my number 4D to be responsible for creating more scoring chances than they give up. 

Maybe you think it's a BS stat, but it's not like he has a long track record of being an effective defenseman in years before last year either.

I think he is the phisical spark the 2nd pairing needs.  He is going to be Power's Mule.  That is exactly what Power and the top 4 D need.

You should hope that I am right.

(insert winkie thingie here)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I think he is the phisical spark the 2nd pairing needs.  He is going to be Power's Mule.  That is exactly what Power and the top 4 D need.

You should hope that I am right.

(insert winkie thingie here)

Always happy to be wrong if it means the Sabres are better for it. I'm just questioning if he's the answer for us to score more goals than get scored against, which in hockey, trumps "physicality" 10 times out of 10. If physicality leads to more goals, then sign me up... but in BOS, that was not the case for him.

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Always happy to be wrong if it means the Sabres are better for it. I'm just questioning if he's the answer for us to score more goals than get scored against, which in hockey, trumps "physicality" 10 times out of 10. If physicality leads to more goals, then sign me up... but in BOS, that was not the case for him.

Phisicality is not a word.  Bloody Hell !!  Who started that should be forces to take @inkman's English classes so they can be more goodly at it.

The Sabres do not need to score more goals.  They need to allow less.  No one is going to care about this guy goal scoring or lack there of.  His physical play will help prevent goals.  That is the only reason why he is here.  KA says so by signing him and not some other guy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.