Key Bank Center upgrades coming…

LabattBlue

58 minutes ago, LTS said:

Hmmmm

They do?  How come I don't recall seeing it.. I don't mean little graphics in face-off circles..  I mean full on..  like the Predators

https://blog.rossvideo.com/ice-projection-technology

Eleven commented on projection onto the ice features. Yes they project things into the ice when the Sabres and opponents hit the ice while the lights are still down.
Weather you like it or think it’s old, dated, lame, or not good enough is another discussion entirely 👍🏼

The more I think about it, the more I think the on-rink projector debuted with the current scoreboard in 2007.  They definitely used it to show highlights as part of the pre-game presentation.  It wasn't just lasers in face-off circles; it was a rink-sized video screen, and it was awesome.  Maybe it broke or something?

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

The more I think about it, the more I think the on-rink projector debuted with the current scoreboard in 2007.  They definitely used it to show highlights as part of the pre-game presentation.  It wasn't just lasers in face-off circles; it was a rink-sized video screen, and it was awesome.  Maybe it broke or something?

Back when I was a STH, I know they used to project the American and Canadian flags during the respective anthems.  

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Marvin said:

For the remodeling, could they widen the seats because I am, er, uh, we as a country are getting, um, burlier?  I barely fit into corner seats on the 100 level when the arena opened.

I forgot where I read it or where it was mentioned… It might’ve been the article… But if they redo the seating… Pegula may ask for the county to step in with tax money. and they are aware of the seating issue… But it was in regards to some seats being in disrepair. And that may not be addressed for a couple years. But as far as redoing all of the seats in the entire arena. It’s a pretty hefty price tag. And in their view not a top priority as of 2023.

On 8/26/2023 at 10:21 AM, pastajoe said:

At 6’3” sitting in the seats is a painful experience. I have to turn my legs to the side to fit.

I am 6’1” and I also struggle in the lower bowl.  This is why if they would have made more of a slope in the lower bowl, your knees would be above the back of the seat in front of you.  

Of course the other option is when they redo the seating, eliminate a few rows in the lower bowl providing for more leg room. 

31 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I forgot where I read it or where it was mentioned… It might’ve been the article… But if they redo the seating… Pegula may ask for the county to step in with tax money. and they are aware of the seating issue… But it was in regards to some seats being in disrepair. And that may not be addressed for a couple years. But as far as redoing all of the seats in the entire arena. It’s a pretty hefty price tag. And in their view not a top priority as of 2023.

It wasn't in the article, as I recall, but this was:  They may do away with some seating to allow for more fluid viewing options like in some newer arenas/stadiums/etc., where people can mingle and still watch the game.  Think of Heron's Landing at Pilot Field or the clubs at whatever the Bills stadium is called now.  The arena has one such area on the 200 level as it is, but it is very small and very restricted--maybe a dozen people.  Meanwhile, as early as 1998, stadiums like Fedex Field had cigar bars where one could stand, sit, wander at one's leisure, still with a great view of the game.  The ballpark in Pittsburgh has an area like this, too.  It's pretty cool.

As for it not being a priority, I remember that being in the article and I'm irritated about it.  The seating is the worst part of the arena, followed closely by the sound and the food.  The video screen really isn't a priority at all.

Edited by Eleven

On 8/26/2023 at 9:26 AM, Zamboni said:

Some good improvements mentioned overall. Not ALL improvements they have planned were mentioned in the article. So I expect others besides those. Albeit small changes, but changes nonetheless. Keeping Delaware North is unfortunate. But it is what it is.

Their contract isn't up like it was at Highmark Stadium. But a message was sent, wasn't it? Unless DN wants to lose two hometown accounts.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/26/2023 at 9:30 AM, Derrico said:

Looking forward to seeing what they roll out.  My biggest complaint (same with bills) is the length of lines and time spent waiting at concession stands.  Sounds like they are aware and working on this major issue.  Will be interesting to see how much these ideas improve that experience this season. 

I wonder if they could give season ticket holders an RFID tag that automatically charges your card of Sabresbucks account so you can literally just walk out with your food?

On 8/26/2023 at 10:21 AM, pastajoe said:

At 6’3” sitting in the seats is a painful experience. I have to turn my legs to the side to fit.

I'm 6' 6". But my seats up in the Uecker row are plenty roomy because the row in front of mine is so low.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/26/2023 at 6:35 PM, LTS said:

I don't think the arena would work with some of the larger scoreboards found in other arenas. The building just is not big enough.  There's no getting around the exterior walls of the structure, that dictates what you can put inside.

Still, the scoreboard is terrible so an upgrade would be nice.  How about an on-ice projection system while you are at it?

I have no doubt they are going to move to ordering displays to eliminate congestion at the stands and to adjust staffing required.

I was at the Sabres/Chicago game last season. You could fit the entire Key Back Center inside United Center. And their scoreboard and sound system? Check it out...

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You could fit the entire Key Back Center inside United Center.

OK let's not get crazy here.  No.  You could not.  It has 700 more seats than the arena for hockey, and it's not as large in circumference (from my experience walking around it and not from any scientific study or anything).

Edited by Eleven

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

KBC: 700,000 sq ft
UC: 960,000 sq ft.

I'm not going to ask for a source because I don't really care, but you're going to somehow fit one into the other?  (Not to mention that you've only got two dimensions going there.)  They aren't significantly different in size; they just are not.  The difference is negligible. And one is in the fifth largest city in NA and the other is in Buffalo.

Edited by Eleven

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I'm not going to ask for a source because I don't really care, but you're going to somehow fit one into the other?  (Not to mention that you've only got two dimensions going there.)  They aren't significantly different in size; they just are not.  The difference is negligible. And one is in the fifth largest city in NA and the other is in Buffalo.

You will just have to stand outside of the United Center and tell me then. I couldn't believe how massive that building is, in every dimension. It's footprint alone is 33% larger.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Just now, PromoTheRobot said:

You will just have to stand outside of the United Center and tell me then. I couldn't believe how massive that building is, in every dimension.

I've stood outside of it, and walked around it, many times.  Did you read my edit about 5 posts above?  

Half of my family lives outside of Chicago.  I'm pretty familiar.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You will just have to stand outside of the United Center and tell me then. I couldn't believe how massive that building is, in every dimension. It's footprint alone is 33% larger.

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

I've stood outside of it, and walked around it, many times.  Did you read my edit about 5 posts above?  

Half of my family lives outside of Chicago.  I'm pretty familiar.

Because we’re talking area here, the dimensions are only approximately 15% larger.

It's a start - my big issue is if you arent in the club section, you can't see the ice in the slightest and i don't think they can really fix that.  

Screen and sound is terrible in there.  Hopefully upgrading sound will improve the TV sound too because its terrible.

I never get pizza at bills/sabres games because its overpriced, cold usually, and terrible.  Bills games - fingers bucket, sabres - a weck if i don't eat beforehand.  I never thought they were THAT bad (they weren't good though), but if they want to improve it i'll pay the extra dollar. 

4 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

It's a start - my big issue is if you arent in the club section, you can't see the ice in the slightest and i don't think they can really fix that.  

Screen and sound is terrible in there.  Hopefully upgrading sound will improve the TV sound too because its terrible.

I never get pizza at bills/sabres games because its overpriced, cold usually, and terrible.  Bills games - fingers bucket, sabres - a weck if i don't eat beforehand.  I never thought they were THAT bad (they weren't good though), but if they want to improve it i'll pay the extra dollar. 

Not sure I understand the "see the ice" complaint.

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

From concourses - many newer stadiums make it a point that... if you are walking the concourse you can see the field, ice, etc.  At least some level of window there. 

That indeed is a feature of newer and recently-remodeled stadiums and arenas, but there's no reason that the Arena can't pull it off.  M&T Stadium in Baltimore, for example, is only two years younger than the Arena, and handled a similar remodel well.  (See my post upthread also; they intend to have more "milling around" areas.)

28 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That indeed is a feature of newer and recently-remodeled stadiums and arenas, but there's no reason that the Arena can't pull it off.  M&T Stadium in Baltimore, for example, is only two years younger than the Arena, and handled a similar remodel well.  (See my post upthread also; they intend to have more "milling around" areas.)

You're talking about eliminating a lot of prime seating.

49 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

From concourses - many newer stadiums make it a point that... if you are walking the concourse you can see the field, ice, etc.  At least some level of window there. 

I got ya. Do you want to be able to see the game while heading to and from the washroom? I don't see any other reason one would want to or need to be walking around during play.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.