Rick Jeanneret: 1942–2023

PromoTheRobot

Per twitter, or whatever, there will be a selection of RJ's greatest games on MSG starting tomorrow and ending Sept. 8.  This is second-hand information, because I no longer participate in the twatverse.

Edited by Eleven

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Per twitter, or whatever, there will be a selection of RJ's greatest games on MSG starting tomorrow and ending Sept. 8.  This is second-hand information, because I no longer participate in the twatverse.

For those in Musk-verse, is it daily or weekly?

So if Pat was doing radio with Rick in 74-75, who was alongside Ted? There's a Wiki page of Sabres broadcasters that has Ted and Pat together that year. Apparently not accurate. Remember that Rick acknowledged his late broadcast partner Hannigan on RJ Night.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

So if Pat was doing radio with Rick in 74-75, who was alongside Ted? There's a Wiki page of Sabres broadcasters that has Ted and Pat together that year. Apparently not accurate. Remember that Rick acknowledged his late broadcast partner Hannigan on RJ Night.

On my tape which I can't find, of the "Thank You, Sabres" game, Rick was with Paul Wieland on the radio.  Rick worked with Pat Hannigan on cable.

• Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Marvin said:

On my tape which I can't find, of the "Thank You, Sabres" game, Rick was with Paul Wieland on the radio.  Rick worked with Pat Hannigan on cable.

Before it's all lost to history, someone needs to really do that Wiki page right. Heck with Paul and Rick gone, maybe it's already gone. There must be archives of this stuff at the Sabres tho.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

Before it's all lost to history, someone needs to really do that Wiki page right. Heck with Paul and Rick gone, maybe it's already gone. There must be archives of this stuff at the Sabres tho.

Don't count on it.  It's only very recently that we as a culture have started to save everything.  

3 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Don't count on it.  It's only very recently that we as a culture have started to save everything.  

No tapes of Rick doing TV the first time? That would be sad.

35 minutes ago, Eleven said:

He looks like Peter Venkman.

Kinda surprised the Knoxes let Ted's hair get so long.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

No tapes of Rick doing TV the first time? That would be sad.

I could very well be wrong here, but unless it was a momentous game, like a 10-1 beating of the Bruins or a playoff game or something, I'd bet not.  It's just not what we used to do.  Even now, the Internet Archive strains to recover "old" software from the 1990s.

EDIT:  You know you really could help with this question is @PromoTheRobot so I am summoning.

Edited by Eleven

10 hours ago, Eleven said:

I could very well be wrong here, but unless it was a momentous game, like a 10-1 beating of the Bruins or a playoff game or something, I'd bet not.  It's just not what we used to do.  Even now, the Internet Archive strains to recover "old" software from the 1990s.

EDIT:  You know you really could help with this question is @PromoTheRobot so I am summoning.

You rang? I'm not sure what you're asking for?

11 hours ago, Eleven said:

You're in radio, aren't you?  And you know how radio stations keep archives or don't?

Every radio station is different. At my current station, we have audio logging software record everything in low resolution just in case someone claims something was said on the air. The drive is large enough to store 3-4 years before overwriting.

I don't know what WGR does. A logger is likely. I don't know if they specifically archive sports broadcasts or how far back they'd go. Obviously recording technology changed dramatically in recent years from the days of tape.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Every radio station is different. At my current station, we have audio logging software record everything in low resolution just in case someone claims something was said on the air. The drive is large enough to store 3-4 years before overwriting.

I don't know what WGR does. A logger is likely. I don't know if they specifically archive sports broadcasts or how far back they'd go. Obviously recording technology changed dramatically in recent years from the days of tape.

Yep.  I don't think the Sabres would have tape of Rick's first TV broadcast.  I just would bet against it.

On 8/26/2023 at 11:04 AM, Marvin said:

I still have the 45 record of “We’re gonna win that Cup”. I think the Sabres highlights including the Thank You chants are on the B side.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.