Sabres sign 2023 Second Round Pick Anton Wahlberg to ELC

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres sign 2023 Second Round Pick Anton Wahlberg to ELC

I like the fact they tend to get their young Euros under contract quickly.

It just cements the fact they’re part of the family despite the fact they are overseas, and also gives them some measure of control over their situation. I’m sure Rosen’s D1 year is something they aren’t anxious to repeat.

6 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Does that mean he'll be playing in Rochester?

Not necessarily, but it means that he can if it’s what they decide that is best.

Sounds like the Sabres aren’t big on forcing guys to come before they want to (Östlund). I think I remember Wahlberg saying he was planning on SHL next year then whatever.

• Agree 1

Interesting, so for these types of players is it more of an act of good faith of the Sabres saying, "we believe in your development" so he's some additional financial incentive for you to put the work in? Curious to know the terms of these contracts. 

Another question if anyone knows the answer, I know if a player plays 9 games it "burns a year" of eligibility on their rookie contract, this would have nothing to do with this? Assuming this guy doesn't touch NHL ice during the life of this contact would his next one pretty much be a standard rookie contract?

16 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

Interesting, so for these types of players is it more of an act of good faith of the Sabres saying, "we believe in your development" so he's some additional financial incentive for you to put the work in? Curious to know the terms of these contracts. 

Another question if anyone knows the answer, I know if a player plays 9 games it "burns a year" of eligibility on their rookie contract, this would have nothing to do with this? Assuming this guy doesn't touch NHL ice during the life of this contact would his next one pretty much be a standard rookie contract?

You are correct in both assumptions. It's a good faith futures contract basically and with his contract in Europe the 9 game thing doesn't come into play.  He needs a couple of years of maturing anyway

1 hour ago, Mustache of God said:

So the 9 games is specifically nhl games and applies to prospects before they are 20. So in this case his contract would slide or extend for 2 seasons if he plays anywhere but the NHL. 

It's a 5 year deal in reality unless they play nhl games, specifically 9 games

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Mustache of God said:

If an 18 or 19 year old signs an ELC but doesn't play in at least 10 NHL games, his contract will "slide" out another year.  Meaning the team still has the player on an ELC for 3 more years.  (So basically, unless the kid was a VERY high end prospect, should an 18 yo sign a contract the team has him on that deal for 5 years, and the team has a 19 yo on that deal for 4 years.)  (And that 9 games is the total # of games the player can play in the NHL while still having his contract slide.  Once he plays in a 10th game it no longer slides that year.)

Puckpedia and CapFriendly both typically have the details of the ELC contracts including potential bonus payments.  Though IIRC they don't typically have the conditions to be met to earn the bonuses.  (The conditions that can be used to earn bonuses are laid out in the CBA and the max that can be earned is also spelled out but except for $'s for leaguewide awards which don't count against a team's cap the exact amounts earned for meeting those conditions are determined by the team and the player.)

There isn't really a "standard rookie contract."  There is the ELC contract that is from 1 - 3 years in length that most all players sign to enter the NHL.  But after that expires except for some limitations on eligibility for a 1 way or a 2 way contract and arbitration/RFA/UFA rights ALL players sign the same "standard player contract."  The length of term is anywhere from 1 - 8 years and the pay scale runs anywhere from the league min to the league max with limitations on how much the salary can vary from year to year (with the cap hit being a constant which is the total value of the contract divided by the length of the contract).  Except in rare occassions there are no performance bonuses allowed but there can be signing bonuses which simply adjust when exactly the player gets his money in a particular year.

• Thanks (+1) 1

On 7/14/2023 at 5:41 PM, Buffalonill said:

I find it odd that you would sign the 2nd round pick before a top 5 pick.

Why? They don't pick one to sign at a time and only focus on that one player until they sign. They most likely made offers to a few different players and Wahlberg and his camp were first to agree. There's more to negotiate with whoever else. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/14/2023 at 5:11 PM, Buffalonill said:

So why isn't Zach Benson signed that's weird 

On 7/14/2023 at 5:41 PM, Buffalonill said:

I find it odd that you would sign the 2nd round pick before a top 5 pick.

This was never weird and he signed shortly after. Stop making routine boring things sinister simply because you don't know the inner workings of everything. The outrage culture thing is dull. 

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

That's good, the SHL should be a big challenge for him. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

4 points in 17 games last year as a 17-year-old and apparently showed quite well in the playoffs.. 27 in 32 at the junior level.

For comparison, also in their draft years:

• Östlund 0 in 11, 42 in 32
  • Rosen 1 in 22, 12 in 12
  • Dahlin 20 in 41, 2 in 1
  • Asplund 12 in 46, 0 in 0

Asplund was an early bloomer. Really thought he was going to be a strong 3C, but he just couldn’t make the step.

Edited by dudacek

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

This was never weird and he signed shortly after. Stop making routine boring things sinister simply because you don't know the inner workings of everything. The outrage culture thing is dull. 

You quoted me 5 weeks later ..

a68791d0fac6a631306b4ed3cd680488.gif

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.