OT: Is it time for a new pizza thread?

JoeSchmoe

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I’ve never had pizza from Buffalo and my information is based on internet research as well.

Then I presume you wouldn't weigh in on which Buffalo pizza place is best and why ... ?

1 hour ago, Weave said:

He’s from Utica.  

Oh well then ***** him sideways.

18 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

I don't know @That Aud Smell. It may be the same place with new owners that are pretty full of themselves.  😃

Edit: Google is just showing the one in NF as LaHacienda.

Haha - gotcha.

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, ... said:

Pizza across the Buffalo metro area, including the Falls, varies widely. The elements that are common to pizza in WNY is the texture of the dough

As I believe was posited upthread, the nature, texture, feel, taste of the dough is going to depend in no small part on unique local conditions -- our public water systems and our ambient conditions (humidity, dew point).

You can't make sponge candy in Florida, for example. In fact, I don't think you can make sponge candy in most places in the world.

Likewise, I fell in love with Czech pilsners when I traveled in Europe in the mid 90s. Then I tried to recreate that experience with bottled Czech beer in America. No dice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

Then I presume you wouldn't weigh in on which Buffalo pizza place is best and why ... ?

???…… correct, I wouldn’t.  I did comment to ask about some of the characteristics that define Buffalo style pizza.

2 minutes ago, Curt said:

???…… correct, I wouldn’t.  I did comment to ask about some of the characteristics that define Buffalo style pizza.

I'm just clowning on that internet person whose video was posted. And I'm not keeping track of who's said what. Sorry if I caused any O-fence.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

He’s from Utica.  He also did a Detroit style pizza that I can confirm was very close to actual Detroit style pizza.  He does seem to get things right more than not, and is not bashful about saying he substituted something not traditional when he knows.

That episode seemed to me like a pretty good approximation of Bocce’s from what I recall.

He couldn't hop in the car and drive 3 hours? Seriously? It's 1 road.

Point of fact , I often drive 3 hours just for pizza.

• Haha (+1) 3

I thought he took a couple digs at Buffalo which might rub people the wrong way. 

I'm wondering though... Is that closer to a Detroit style pizza than a Buffalo style pizza? For starters, most of the Buffalo pizza I've had is round... Not a sheet. In NF, I usually get a sheet (or a half sheet when ordering one pie, or a full sheet which is two pies 😏). Is there really the stress to get the toppings right to the edge? Usually I see it kind of fade out towards the edge. I also question the oil usage. Thoughts?

58 minutes ago, ubkev said:

He couldn't hop in the car and drive 3 hours? Seriously? It's 1 road.

Point of fact , I often drive 3 hours just for pizza.

Not sure if I mentioned this before, but a bunch of my Canadian friends from further north planned a bachelor party for one of the gang at a Sabres / Leafs game. We hit Pearl St beforehand and ordered the usual pizza, wings, and beer. 

One of the friends liked the pizza so much he brought his girlfriend back the very next weekend from 5hr away. I want to say it was the stuffed banana pepper pizza.

I had another friend from Toronto (who like many Torontonians leans towards the uppity side) claim that the Pearl Street Buffalo Finger pizza (or Buffalo wing... don't recall) was the best pizza he ever ate. 

Edited by JoeSchmoe

44 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

I thought he took a couple digs at Buffalo which might rub people the wrong way. 

I'm wondering though... Is that closer to a Detroit style pizza than a Buffalo style pizza? For starters, most of the Buffalo pizza I've had is round... Not a sheet. In NF, I usually get a sheet (or a half sheet when ordering one pie, or a full sheet which is two pies 😏). Is there really the stress to get the toppings right to the edge? Usually I see it kind of fade out towards the edge. I also question the oil usage. Thoughts?

Bocce’s

18 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Eh, no better than what I can make at home.

image.thumb.png.c9107307f6de0b6ecbdd1b9a53335b94.png

If the subject is Buffalo style pizza, you are missing a fair amount of caramelization on the toppings and crust.

Id eat it gladly, still.

Edited by Weave

39 minutes ago, Weave said:

If the subject is Buffalo style pizza, you are missing a fair amount of caramelization on the toppings and crust.

Id eat it gladly, still.

It looks delicious.

In my experience, it's difficult to achieve certain aspects of the Buffalo style without a true pizza oven.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

It looks delicious.

In my experience, it's difficult to achieve certain aspects of the Buffalo style without a true pizza oven.

What temperature do you bake your pizza at? This is key.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, North Buffalo said:

I alway cook them at 450 bit depends using a gas oven... electric is different 

500 in an electric oven and you need to start the oven before you roll the dough (assuming you proceed to the sauce and toppings after rolling the dough). The lowest you place the rack is in the middle but it's best to do the slot between the middle and the top one if you have 5 or more slots.

48 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Been a minute. I was gonna say 400, gas oven.

400 is pretty low for pizza. Hard to get good carmelization of the crust and toppings without excessive cooking times, which does change the texture overall.  At that temp you need added sugar in the dough to get it coloring up properly and avoid long cook times.

I find 500f works very well and is obtainable in most home ovens.  I also think you need to let the oven come up to temp and then soak for a good 30 minutes to get all the metal inside stable at 500 so your temp recovers quickly after you open the door to insert your pizza.

And use a pizza stone.

PA made a proper looking pie.  He knows…

I doubt it is Buffalo style dough, but Aldi, Tops, Wegmans dough makes a pretty damned good pie generally.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.