Sabres Free Agency Thread

FrenchConnection44

3 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

If need be add Middelstadt to the mix.

Mitts is already a great middle six utility player who is coming off a good year.  We’ve spent a long time developing him and I think we’re finally seeing some dividends.  With Quinn out until Atleast the new year he is not at all a throw in to be ‘added to the mix.’  He has good value and excellent chemistry with some of our big boys (especially Dahlin) and I hope he stays and extended for a reasonable price. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, HumanSlinky39 said:

Hellebuyck is a pipe dream. 

1) He's a UFA after this year

2) He's going to command way to much AAV and Term when all we need is a guy to take some work from Levi as he developes. 

3) it flies totally in the face of everything KA has been doing.

It would obviously be a sign and trade. He’s consistently one of the best goalies every year. Levi has a short track record. Why risk everything on a rookie when they could have a sure thing. They desperately need to make the playoffs.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

Yet.  The Buffalo Sabres were a long way from contention when he took over.  They just missed the playoffs by a point.  KA is not going to mortgage the future but I would hope he’s considering some win now options much more than he ever would have in the past.  Didn’t make sense then.  It does now. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, HumanSlinky39 said:

1) He's a UFA after this year

2) He's going to command way to much AAV and Term when all we need is a guy to take some work from Levi as he developes. 

Correct MAF makes much more sense. MAF for UPL and Joker

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Mitts is already a great middle six utility player who is coming off a good year.  We’ve spent a long time developing him and I think we’re finally seeing some dividends.  With Quinn out until Atleast the new year he is not at all a throw in to be ‘added to the mix.’  He has good value and excellent chemistry with some of our big boys (especially Dahlin) and I hope he stays and extended for a reasonable price. 

If they said they needed Mitts as part of a deal, I say Sold. He’s never had a good healthy full season, can’t hold onto center, can’t drive a line, and will be up for a contract. His loss would more than be made up for by a top goalie and Iafallo. 

• dislike 2

16 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

My dream trade would be:

Hellebuyck, Iafallo

for

Jokiharju, Olofsson, UPL, Ostrand or Rosen

If need be add Middelstadt to the mix.

I think Mitts is more valuable than any of the other pieces that you listed.

2 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

If they said they needed Mitts as part of a deal, I say Sold. He’s never had a good healthy full season, can’t hold onto center, can’t drive a line, and will be up for a contract. His loss would more than be made up for by a top goalie and Iafallo. 

For all of the reasons you mentioned, this is why he wouldn’t demand an $8M/year contract. But he was an integral part of our team late last year and would sign him for $5-6M/year. Who knows, next year may be the year he decides to pull it all together. 

9 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

It would obviously be a sign and trade. He’s consistently one of the best goalies every year. Levi has a short track record. Why risk everything on a rookie when they could have a sure thing. They desperately need to make the playoffs.

It makes no sense. 

Hellebuyck is going to command way too much AAV when you still have a lot of young talent, that you're building around, that is going to need to be taken care of. They clearly have all the confidence in the world in Devon Levi, and he showed why at the end of the year. It just doesn't make sense given the way they're approaching this rebuild.

If we were staring down a future with UPL in net, I'd agree with going after Hellebuyck. Maybe. Levi is different.

Edited by HumanSlinky39

1 minute ago, Carmel Corn said:

What other UFA goalies are still out there as possibilities?  

Jarry and Varlamov are the only legit potential starters left. There are some decent young RFAs but Adams wouldn’t go after them.

2 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Jarry and Varlamov are the only legit potential starters left. There are some decent young RFAs but Adams wouldn’t go after them.

It would be very unlike KA to make an offer sheet to Bos for Swayman.  Scratch Jarry.  Back to Pitt on a longterm deal.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Schenn would be a Boosh replacement on the 3rd pairing. He is not a top 4 D.

Accepting the fact that he isn't a top two pairing player doesn't mean that adding another third pairing type player to the unit won't be beneficial. What the Samuelsson injury demonstrated last year is that the unit lacked depth. When an injury happened to one of the higher pairings it had a negative cascading effect to the other pairings. No question that most of us want a second pairing talent added to the unit. But if that plan can't be executed then adding a couple of 4/5 players would certainly be beneficial. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.