According to Pierre Lebrun, Sabres have interest in Brett Pesce.

inkman

I think Pesce is the perfect player for what the Sabres blue line needs.

KA may not be able to meet their price so he is looking at alternatives, as he should. He may circle back at some point.

Hanifin is a definite upgrade to the Sabres D core. Olofsson, Rosen and a second round pick seems like plenty to me. If all of these guys want out of Calgary they may need a guy like Olofsson to pot a few goals for them.

4 minutes ago, Turbo44 said:

If not Hanafin (who’s really only average in the d-zone) how about Tanev? He has a 10 team no trade but is ELITE defensively, which is exactly what we need. He is 33 but has 2 years left on a very reasonable contract 

Oh hell yes on Tanev. 

He is from York just outside of Toronto and played at RIT I imagine convincing him to come to Buffalo wouldn’t be that hard 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

The Athletic mentioned that the Hurricanes and Pesce are getting closer to an extension in a post this AM. 

Also mentioned the Sabres and Florida are in on Hanifin 

Just coming to post this.

They’re also reporting that “teams are calling on Duclair but Florida doesn’t want to give him up” which is Lebrun speak for a GM wanting to convince a trade partner to pull the trigger.

Calgary needs scoring wingers, so I don’t mind connecting dots.

Is Duclair more attractive than Olofsson? If so, how much? What are the other pieces involved?

As Brawndo said the Sabres have a ton of trade currency Florida doesn’t have.

I think the decision to trade Hanifin now has been made and it’s just about Calgary maximizing the return.

I read the item as saying the Sabres and the Panthers are the final suitors. I think Hanifin is an excellent fit.

Let’s see if Adams can pull this off.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

They’re also reporting that “teams are calling on Duclair but Florida doesn’t want to give him up” which is Lebrun speak for a GM wanting to convince a trade partner to pull the trigger.

Is Duclair more attractive than Olofsson? If so, how much? What are the other pieces involved?

I think the decision to trade Hanifin now has been made and it’s just about Calgary maximizing the return.

I read the item as saying the Sabres and the Panthers are the final suitors. I think Hanifin is an excellent fit.

If Calgary were smart, they'd initiate a rebuild. Everyone wants out there. 

I doubt olofsson gets much done but paired with the correct main piece it could. 

Edited by LGR4GM
Spelling

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Hanifan would be a beer fit if he was right shot. Peace is looking for 8 years 52 million. I think that’s too long a term given his age and injury history. 

Just now, freester said:

Hanifan would be a beer fit if he was right shot. Peace is looking for 8 years 52 million. I think that’s too long a term given his age and injury history. 

I don’t think Carolina has any intention of trading Brett Pesce unless he”s stuck on a contract demand the Sabres won’t be willing to pay.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I don't olofsson gets much done but paired with the correct main piece it could. 

If the Sabres retain on VO, Calgary can do the same and he becomes a cheap asset to move at the TDL

21 hours ago, dudacek said:

You make a terrific point that the Sabres are in a good position to deal compared to most teams. And there is no question based on our roster and last year's performance that this team should be more appealing to players who will be moved. The negative perception of the organization has turned to a positive perception based on how it has recently played and the expected continued upward trajectory of this team in the near future. I'm hopeful and excited about the transactions that will be made to continue with this franchise's advance. Just a few judicious and impactful moves can make such a big difference. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I doubt olofsson gets much done but paired with the correct main piece it could. 

For some reason I don't believe Adams will not send VO or any his players to Calgary  I don't think hes that kind of GM 

Edited by Buffalonill

3 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I haven’t watched much of Hanifan at all.  I heard of him as a pretty good prospect a few years ago but not much since.  

Would he fit the bill as an excellent 2nd pair guy to play with Power?

As I said earlier, Pesce would be a better fit but Hanifin is a really good Dman.

The only issue with him and Power is one of them would have to play RHD.  Dahlin can do it, maybe Power can.

6 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I haven’t watched much of Hanifan at all.  I heard of him as a pretty good prospect a few years ago but not much since.  

Would he fit the bill as an excellent 2nd pair guy to play with Power?

Hopefully hes not an ass hat like his buddy jack eichel we got rid of the toxic players. 

He's a good player but  I hope they do some heavy research before acquiring a player like him

47 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I guess we shall see how Conroy handles it in the wake of the recent mass revolt, but the early reports were that Calgary was more interested in a retool than a rebuild.

If that’s the case, I’m wondering if the deal could be based around Hanifin for Olofsson and Jokiharju?

I realize I’ll get flamed by the “Joker and VO are trash” crowd, but the fact is Vic is a 25-goal scoring PP weapon and Henri is a 24-year-old, mobile,  minute-munching RHD. They have value.

And it’s an old school hockey trade, the likes of which teams made all the time prior to the cap era.

From the Flames perspective they downgrade on a top 4 D, but add a cheaper contract who is under team control for a lot longer than a year at a hard-to-fill position for a player who was going to walk, as well as filling a big hole up front.

It’s pretty easy to see them imagining Huberdeau to VO lighting things up with the man advantage. And as Brawndo says, if Vic doesn’t fit into their long-term plans, he’ll be pretty easy to flip.

The Sabres will have to backfill on the 3rd pair, but they’ve upgraded their top 4 with a talented player who suits their timeline.

Maybe there’s an add somewhere, and I apologize for the “our trash for your good player” nature of this idea, but I can see a world where it might make sense.

• Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Hopefully hes not an ass hat like his buddy jack eichel we got rid of the toxic players. 

He's a good player but  I hope they do some heavy research before acquiring a player like him

Donnie coached him for a year at Program.

And why am I not surprised that you’re jumping to conclusions that a player who has spent 8 years in the NHL without a whiff of trouble is probably a ***** because he was on the same team as Jack Eichel when they were teens.

You know Alex Tuch was on that team too, right?

Edited by dudacek

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Donnie coached him for a year at Program.

And why am I not surprised that you’re jumping to conclusions that a player who has spent 8 years in the NHL without a whiff of trouble is probably a ***** because he was on the same team as Jack Eichel when they were teens.

You know Alex Tuch was on that team too, right?

They're best friends seeing how his other friends are yes im concerned 

Tanev shoots right, has 2 years left on a very reasonable contract and is from Toronto. Analytics say he’s elite defensively only behind Macavoy in the entire NHL. He’d be perfect for Powers. He provides very little offensively but that is pretty irrelevant. 

Oloffson and a 2nd for Tanev is more than a fair offer (maybe too much). CGY needs wingers desperately.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.