Sabres starting to come off no trade lists

Brawndo

16 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I get what you're trying to say... I thought you were going to say the perception of the team after our owners wouldn't let him get the type of surgery he wanted. I do believe perception matters for sure but I think those perceptions have also changed since both sides moved on this is a different type of team clearly on the up and up.

I'm sure all of them (Eichel, Reinhart, Montour) would probably presuade other players who are FA's to go a different route. We have no clue what the actual perception is about the Sabres until FA hits though since talk is cheap, if players truly believe that then I expect some decent signings, that would tell alot imo.

That's all I'm saying, and I hope it will change, but I do think this doesn't help. I doubt Eichel takes such a low road he slams us publicly, but privately? We've seen his personality before and it's not a good one. 

How much of what we, as Sabres fans, know or think about Adams and the franchise now will get out to other people and other players remains to be seen. There's probably going to be quite a time lag and a bit of a "show me" or "prove it" before players totally start to think of us differently. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

You don't see how a GM moving players when they would like to go elsewhere and sending them to places they might like helps? Of course you don't. 

The perception about the Sabres as a team is changing. Why? Because the team is actually a team now. There is a reason all those fun videos are coming out of the locker room and guys are going on vacation together etc... That is the stuff that players talk about, is the room fun. Also Don Granato is highly liked and respected by everyone who plays under him. Contrary to the narrative that comes up here repeatedly, DG isn't some novice bumbling his way around. He's got 20 years of coaching experience and players like him. 

Finally, no one gives a crap about other stuff when you start to win and the Sabres made a big statement last year. Before you toss out "they didn't make the playoffs!" this team was supposed to be a lottery team again. Almost every single national publication picked them to finish in the 5-9 range. I don't know of anyone who picked them to finish above Detroit or Ottawa. There is an entire thread on this website dedicated to Tage Thompson's sh% because everywhere you looked his new contract was highly questioned and basically everyone said "he will regress because his sh% won't be that high again". I mean I guess they were right there, it was higher. The point is, what Jack Eichel does or says doesn't matter because the teams locker room is fun, the coach is highly respected and liked, and they are starting to win. When the Sabres win a playoff round this upcoming season, no one is going to be thinking "oh man, they traded Jack Eichel 3 years ago and he won a cup so they are a bad franchise I won't go there." 

Should read "IF they win a playoff round" and "IF they make the playoffs" first. 

The "locker room is fun". How many locker rooms have you played in. Right, none. 

Granato is "liked". Okay. Cassidy is "hated". Go figure. So that means what? Right, nothing. 

Making the playoffs this year WOULD have changed perceptions. I have posted about why that was a missed moment many times. Now we are at a point where we definitely need to make them next year. IF we do, the perception will change. But not yet. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, tom webster said:

I was going to stay out of this but this response is just ridiculous. You believe any little snippet has a negative effect but nothing has a positive effect. 

No, the positive things about this team are well known around here. If you want to feel better by just posting positive have at it. Pragmatism and objectivity isn't for all fans, that's fair. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

The ownership hasn't changed but the organization has.  Moving Eichel when he didn't want to be part of a rebuild is a positive from a Sabres PR perspective.  The organization under Adams has been steadfast and methodical in its build.  One thing I didn't agree with regarding the tank was jettisoning talent to get that one really talented guy.  Okay, now you have him, but you need to rebuild the talent pool.  XGMTM showed you can't just cash in a bunch of draft chips and build a team quickly, especially if you don't appreciate the role that character and leadership play in the players acquired.  (The expansion teams *did* build quickly but that was because they were getting average to above-average talent all throughout the lineup and didn't have to deal with Sabotkas and the like.)  I think most people around the league would look at the state of the Sabres and say that, at this point in time, they are a competent franchise that knows what they're doing.

I wouldn't disagree with this and have said for years we need character guys not just guys with fancy analytics but that's a different discussion. 

I would simply change the last bit to "they seem to be" or "they might finally be" a competent franchise but I think the uncertainty or unsure aspects of that assessment will remain until we make a solid push to contend. 

We've been called the team on the rise with the full prospect cupboard before. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

No, the positive things about this team are well known around here. If you want to feel better by just posting positive have at it. Pragmatism and objectivity isn't for all fans, that's fair. 

This, may be even more ridiculous than the original point I was referencing. You might think being condescending and smug is some sort of right but most of us deserve more respect than that. Your act is getting old.

• Like (+1) 5

11 hours ago, tom webster said:

I’m going to make a prediction here. There will be an acquisition in the next two years where the acquired player tells the media that Eichel spoke highly of the city.

Eichel even mentioned the professionalism KA displayed throughout the whole process in His interview with Friedman on the day he was traded 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Should read "IF they win a playoff round" and "IF they make the playoffs" first. 

The "locker room is fun". How many locker rooms have you played in. Right, none. 

Granato is "liked". Okay. Cassidy is "hated". Go figure. So that means what? Right, nothing. 

Making the playoffs this year WOULD have changed perceptions. I have posted about why that was a missed moment many times. Now we are at a point where we definitely need to make them next year. IF we do, the perception will change. But not yet. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47tajzsux8m0heyrth62

4 hours ago, tom webster said:

This, may be even more ridiculous than the original point I was referencing. You might think being condescending and smug is some sort of right but most of us deserve more respect than that. Your act is getting old.

Funny how I see you as the condescending one. 

Despite disagreeing with you often, I have never stooped to insulting your posts as invalid or ridiculous. I can start though if you like. 

3 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Don't I know it.

image.thumb.png.a435c3e6e7ee4bf4f9395181945b663c.png

Something I've suggested people like Liger do several times if they don't like my opinions. 

Ignore whoever you want. That's a valid option. Do not, on the other hand resort to insulting people you disagree with (or are tired of) and do not consider your opinion more valid than anyone else's. 

Publicly grandstanding that you are ignoring someone is also a cheap and childish internet ploy that is, very outdated, and even more tiresome in 2023. But carry on. The same small group will high five you and make you feel special. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Something I've suggested people like Liger do several times if they don't like my opinions. 

Ignore whoever you want. That's a valid option. Do not, on the other hand resort to insulting people you disagree with (or are tired of) and do not consider your opinion more valid than anyone else's. 

Publicly grandstanding that you are ignoring someone is also a cheap and childish internet ploy that is, very outdated, and even more tiresome in 2023. But carry on. The same small group will high five you and make you feel special. 

You mean like you do? See below. 

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

FTR I played teams sports from the time I was 4 until I graduated from undergrad. I've been in a lot of locker rooms over the years and let me say my college room was the best. We didn't all get along off the field but man when a game started and you stepped onto that field, it was all of us in it together. (no it was not hockey)

Bolded #2... "but the attitude about the team is changing. There are a few reasons... Another is head coach Don Granato, who has coached players like Tage Thompson, Rasmus Dahlin and Alex Tuch to career-best seasons." guess it must mean something if it is being written and talked about. This also isn't the first time it has come up. https://theathletic.com/4600049/2023/06/11/nhl-sabres-offseason-owen-power/

But again, you consistently demonstrate you hate the Sabres. I don't think there is a move short of trading for Connor McDavid that would make you say something good about Kevyn Adams. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

For the "we hate Kevyn Adams and everything he does because it isn't exactly what we want done" crowd, this must really grind your gears. 

Adams has also played a big part in improving the Sabres’ reputation around the league. Agents have enjoyed dealing with him because he’s straightforward and humble. https://theathletic.com/4600049/2023/06/11/nhl-sabres-offseason-owen-power/

Who do you think has more pull on more players, Jack Eichel or a bunch of player agents? My money is on the agents because they have a lot more reach and their business isn't playing hockey, it is getting money and helping their clients succeed to do it. 

What about this? 

It helps, too, to have captain Kyle Okposo back in the fold. He’s well respected around the NHL for his work with the NHLPA, and his word carries a lot of weight. His presence in the locker room is another aspect of what makes the Sabres a more attractive landing spot for veteran NHLers.

I bet the group of ppl who crapped allllllll over the Okposo extension because "we don't like it because winning or something rabble rabble, not what I wanted so bad rabble rabble" are really excited to know that Kyle Okposo is respected league wide. This isn't coming from a fan either, this all comes from someone who reports on the team and goes to the events and talks to other reporters, players, execs, etc... 

This all comes down to one thing, there is a vocal minority of ppl on this site who hate the Sabres. It is true, you hate them. They can't do anything correct because you are so angry and bitter about the past 12 years that anything short of winning the cup is a total failure that feeds into your feedback loop of the team being a failure. Hell, I bet when Buffalo wins the cup you will bitch too because they didn't win it in the way you demand. This is why I am taking breaks from this place, your constant negativity about everything the team does always is atrocious to read and be mired in. 

Last season was a blast. It is the most fun and intense season since 2011. Yea, we came up short but I am still allowed to enjoy it even though a bunch of no name internet randos keep screaming at me that "losing is accepted" and "Adams is awful" and "Granato can't coach because he is new and his defense sucks." 

Next year when we win a playoff round it will be the same crap. "Oh if Adams wasn't so dumb we could have won the cup" or "Oh if Granato wasn't such an amateur coach we could have won the cup."  If the only way you will find joy in the Sabres is if they get the exact players you want always (because there aren't apparently 31 other teams out there that might also want good players) and if they win the cup every year, I feel sorry for you. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

For the "we hate Kevyn Adams and everything he does because it isn't exactly what we want done" crowd, this must really grind your gears. 

Who do you think has more pull on more players, Jack Eichel or a bunch of player agents? My money is on the agents because they have a lot more reach and their business isn't playing hockey, it is getting money and helping their clients succeed to do it. 

What about this? 

I bet the group of ppl who crapped allllllll over the Okposo extension because "we don't like it because winning or something rabble rabble, not what I wanted so bad rabble rabble" are really excited to know that Kyle Okposo is respected league wide. This isn't coming from a fan either, this all comes from someone who reports on the team and goes to the events and talks to other reporters, players, execs, etc... 

This all comes down to one thing, there is a vocal minority of ppl on this site who hate the Sabres. It is true, you hate them. They can't do anything correct because you are so angry and bitter about the past 12 years that anything short of winning the cup is a total failure that feeds into your feedback loop of the team being a failure. Hell, I bet when Buffalo wins the cup you will bitch too because they didn't win it in the way you demand. This is why I am taking breaks from this place, your constant negativity about everything the team does always is atrocious to read and be mired in. 

Last season was a blast. It is the most fun and intense season since 2011. Yea, we came up short but I am still allowed to enjoy it even though a bunch of no name internet randos keep screaming at me that "losing is accepted" and "Adams is awful" and "Granato can't coach because he is new and his defense sucks." 

Next year when we win a playoff round it will be the same crap. "Oh if Adams wasn't so dumb we could have won the cup" or "Oh if Granato wasn't such an amateur coach we could have won the cup."  If the only way you will find joy in the Sabres is if they get the exact players you want always (because there aren't apparently 31 other teams out there that might also want good players) and if they win the cup every year, I feel sorry for you. 

This is so well stated in my opinion. A lot of your thoughts fall in line with what I think regarding some fans. I personally only see about five or six that are constantly negative, or if they say something semi positive they instantly follow it up with some thing passive aggressive or negative or glass half empty sentiment. Just remember this is a little message board, and far from the Majority of Sabres fans. 👍🏼
Go Sabres!

On 6/11/2023 at 4:36 PM, Brawndo said:

If anything Eichel winning the cup might actually help increase Adams and the Sabres reputation around the league with players. Adams stepped into an ugly situation but did right by both the player and the Sabres Organization.  He traded Eichel to a SC Contender and got very good assets in return. 

Look at Reinhart calling Adams back the day after the trade to thank him for moving him to a good situation.

These moves coupled with the improved play and the vibes around the organization should put the Sabres on a lot more players radar

The perception will be out there regardless that Adams and the Sabres were wrong about Eichel’s injury treatment, but other than that, I agree 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

The perception will be out there regardless that Adams and the Sabres were wrong about Eichel’s injury treatment, but other than that, I agree 

If he hadn't already requested a trade, they'd likely have gone with his preferred surgery as the face of the franchise. They'd have seen it as risky, but he'd almost led them to the playoffs (play-in) and had gotten better year-after-year up to that point. But once he said he was out, they weren't going to risk his trade value.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

To say that it was the Sabres and not Eichel that drove his dysfunction is laughable. The Sabres have proved this to be wrong - there has been no dysfunction since he left. Eichel had an attitude problem and he decided early on to dig in his heels. He had been on teams with Donnie as a coach and could’ve played under him as a HC. He chose not to, not the Sabres. His trade demands predated any hint of injury. He gave up on the team and decided he wasn’t going to part of any solution. He’s playing better because he’s a decent talent and he really has no other choice (is he gonna be passed around like a hot potato?). Plus, he’s been stripped of any leadership responsibilities and is free of any adversity. He just has to play. No face or heart of the franchise. He doesn’t even have to be the best player on the roster (and he isn’t). 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

If he hadn't already requested a trade, they'd likely have gone with his preferred surgery as the face of the franchise. They'd have seen it as risky, but he'd almost led them to the playoffs (play-in) and had gotten better year-after-year up to that point. But once he said he was out, they weren't going to risk his trade value.

Is this for me or the perception at large I mentioned? 

- - - 

Regardless, on an unrelated note, Eichel has as much a claim on being the Knights’ best player as anyone. The fact that there’s a few guys in contention is exactly the point: any contending team has and needs exactly that. And he’s as much a part of their room as anyone, if anyone cares to listen to what Cassidy and the Knights players actually are saying. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 6/12/2023 at 6:02 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I doubt Eichel takes such a low road he slams us publicly, but privately? We've seen his personality before and it's not a good one. 

If he has an off-putting personality why would anyone put stock in what he has to say publicly or privately?

13 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

But again, you consistently demonstrate you hate the Sabres. I don't think there is a move short of trading for Connor McDavid that would make you say something good about Kevyn Adams. 

I hate the Sabres? Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. That's why I'm here. Sure sure. Whatever you say. I thought you were ignoring all my posts, yet here you are quoting and replying to them to throw more insults my way yet again. Oh yes, YOU'RE a fan. You define fandom. I hate the Sabres. I so wish I had a great team to follow like you do. Grow up.

I don't want Connor McDavid. 

I did want a goalie, a 3C, (possibly a gritty PK guy) and a 4D last year.

I still want those things this year although 3C moves to the bottom of that list unless he's a face off expert. 

Now what do you, as a true blue (and gold) fan want? Connor McDavid?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I hear what Perrault is saying and would agree prior to last year... but despite what that quitter says JE (Im not bitter much) I have to agree the Sabres have turned the corner... sure they need better D, hope Levi is the real thing and need more depth... but they are finally fun to watch... and a dangerous team to play against .  So gotta say this former ***** show of a team finally gonna be competitive... Murray's drunken incompetence and the rest that followed has been turned around by KA and DG even if I am not privy to all the inside stuff... Everyone points to TT, but what those to have done with computer gamer Mitts may be their biggest reclamation... just sad that they couldnt figure it out with Ollie... that being said there is so much talent coming it wont matter.  Ah the off season... discussion like this couldve been predicted 

55 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Like I said, Granato matters

Is Granato pounding the table for Pesce just like Greenway?

A guy on another board that has been right before says the Sabres are really looking for dmen with strong zone denials. That is one reason names like Tanev and Gryzlck have been floated.

Does anyone know what Pesce’s metrics say in this category?

24 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Is Granato pounding the table for Pesce just like Greenway?

A guy on another board that has been right before says the Sabres are really looking for dmen with strong zone denials. That is one reason names like Tanev and Gryzlck have been floated.

Does anyone know what Pesce’s metrics say in this category?

Pretty good

IMG_0057.jpeg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.