A little NHL trivia...

Eleven

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Funny you should mention M*A*S*H; been "watching" that to fall asleep to the past few months.  The 1st 6 seasons were absolutely brilliant.  7 & 8 were still good way more often than not but have just started on season 10 and not sure will make it through to the end of the Alan Aldafication of what had been a brilliant TV series.

It died with Henry Blake.  MAYBE one season later.

1 minute ago, Eleven said:

The truly brilliant was the Trapper/Henry M*A*S*H, no doubt.  But the 2 additional years with Good Ol' Ferret Face were still great and they did a good job breaking in Winchester his 1st year.  (Saying season 6 was still "brilliant" was a bit of an exaggeration; but it was still very good IMHO.)  But after that, it really went downhill IMHO.  Gene Reynolds walking away as Executive Producer after Season 5 was a big loss.  Even though he did stay on as a "creative consultant" it wasn't the same.

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Funny you should mention M*A*S*H; been "watching" that to fall asleep to the past few months.  The 1st 6 seasons were absolutely brilliant.  7 & 8 were still good way more often than not but have just started on season 10 and not sure will make it through to the end of the Alan Aldafication of what had been a brilliant TV series.

Yeah, it probably lasted a little longer then it should have but I don’t remember there being a lot of alternatives back then.

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Yeah, it probably lasted a little longer then it should have but I don’t remember there being a lot of alternatives back then.

3 networks plus PBS and most cities had a Channel 29 clone (low power high band channel running primarily reruns day and night).  We were lucky in that we could pick up 5 & 9 out of TO and 11 out of Hamilton and on a really clear day 8, 10, & 13 out of Ra-Cha-Cha.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t know the answer to this question (yet), but how many former Sabre players have served as GM’s in the NHL? And who are they?

Gerry Meehan

Mike Grier

Daniel Briere

Chris Drury

there are probably more but that’s obviously the easy list

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

Gerry Meehan

Mike Grier

Daniel Briere

Chris Drury

there are probably more but that’s obviously the easy list

Oh crap, forgot Botterill

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Was he officially GM? I think probably early on, right? 

I think for at least 4 different teams.  I know Florida, TB, Ottawa, and Atlanta.

I feel like we are missing a guy or two.  Should be count Patty's stint as Sabres President?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think for at least 4 different teams.  I know Florida, TB, Ottawa, and Atlanta.

I feel like we are missing a guy or two.  Should be count Patty's stint as Sabres President?

Every organization treats these positions differently. I know Schoeny was an assistant gm and I think for awhile the team had no gm do you have to be careful how open the parameters are.

7 hours ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Ok, here is my trivia question. Back to the 80's again. 

This player broke the odds and played a "good number" of games for the Sabres. Over three seasons he played just over a seasons worth of games. Up and down with Rochester. He then left for Italy, became an Italian citizen and represented Italy in the world juniors and Olympics in the 90's. 

In 2013 he became the first person in Western New York to have a heart transplant operation performed locally.

Who is this guy? 

He played in Buffalo and Rochester, left, and then played in the world juniors?

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It’s funny, Dudley was one of my favorite players and I completely forgot he was a GM

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Without looking it up, place these current and former Sabres in order from most to least games played for the Sabres

Briere, LaFontaine, Jason Dawe, Drury, Mitts, Rick Dudley, TnT and Mike Grier?  

I'll probably get none of these right, but here goes:

1 Grier

2 Dudley 

3 Dawe

4 Mitts 

5 Brier 

6 TNT 

7 Drury 

8 LaFontaine 

17 hours ago, Eleven said:

As did McLean Stevenson's career. He said the biggest mistake he ever made in show business was leaving the show. He thought America loved him and he would become a big star. Eventually he realized America loved Henry Blake.

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Without looking it up, place these current and former Sabres in order from most to least games played for the Sabres

Briere, LaFontaine, Jason Dawe, Drury, Mitts, Rick Dudley, TnT and Mike Grier?  

I have no chance of getting this but it's a fun question.

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I would guess Grier played more than LaFontain, or maybe La La La Fontaine was just such a shooting star he just seemed to shoot on by 

LaLa was out of the lineup a lot too so you may be right.  I think Grier was here for 2 seasons and then came back for one.  The last 10+ years are all a blur .. since 2006 actually, so that is pushing 20 years.

I wonder if @GASabresIUFAN really has the answer or maybe he is just yanking our chains.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.