A little NHL trivia...

Eleven

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Dick Johnston of the News. He, Kelley and the yet unnamed third writer won a press award. Rick and Ted a broadcast award.

Elmer Ferguson is the writers award and Foster Hewitt is the broadcasters award.  3 of one, 2 of the other.  Buffalo has historically been very blessed with the coverage we've received of our Sabres.

Charlie Barton was the old Courier Express columnist who won the Ferguson Award from the NHL HHOF.  He died in 1972.  No wonder I don't remember him.

With @Taro T's permission, I'll re-post this follow-up question now that we have completed the prior question.

With KO and Skinner on the verge of 1000 games in Blue and Gold, how many others reached that milestone while playing for the Sabres? My research on this question actually revealed 11 players so far who played their 1000th game as a Sabre. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Ok, the answer to the question of being blind in one eye was Ric Seiling 

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/scars-ric-seiling/t-277437090/c-5364071

58 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Charlie Barton was the old Courier Express columnist who won the Ferguson Award from the NHL HHOF.  He died in 1972.  No wonder I don't remember him.

With @Taro T's permission, I'll re-post this follow-up question now that we have completed the prior question.

With KO and Skinner on the verge of 1000 games in Blue and Gold, how many others reached that milestone while playing for the Sabres? My research on this question actually revealed 11 players so far who played their 1000th game as a Sabre. 

Gilbert, I would imagine is one 

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

How about Luce and Craig Ramsey, ya, Mike Ramsey ❤️ too?

Luce didn’t even get to 1000 games.  Craig Ramsay is No. 2.  Mike Ramsey actually got his 1000th Det.

9 to go.

Gilbert and Ramsay are the only two Sabres to play their entire career in Buffalo and reach 1000.  The other 9 guys played the later stages of their careers in Buffalo, but 5 of these players made significant impact here in Buffalo.  One was also a Sabres draftee.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Ferguson Award is not from the HHOF per se. The hockey writers association votes on it. According to wiki, tho, the HHOF did establish the award.

One day it will be Harrington's turn.

7 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Andreychuk on the 1000th in Buffalo thing, maybe Gilmour too?

Sadly no to Andreychuk and Dougy got his in Tor 3 years before he came here.

A few more hints. 2 came during this rebuild.  3 played on the Drury/Briere teams, including one who retired during the rebuild, one who is currently a top Jr coach whose brother also played for the Sabres, and one who is a current NHL GM.  Another is a HOF center.  Another is 6x Cup winner and HoF LW who somehow ended his career in Buffalo.  The last 3 all played their final game in Buffalo after long and solid careers.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

20 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

A few more hints. 2 came during this rebuild.  3 played on the Drury/Briere teams, including one who retired during the rebuild, one who is currently a top Jr coach whose brother also played for the Sabres, and one who is a current NHL GM.  Another is a HOF center.  Another is 6x Cup winner and HoF LW who somehow ended his career in Buffalo.  The last 3 all played their final game in Buffalo after long and solid careers.

Clark Gillies, Mike Grier, James Patrick?

38 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Teppo? Brian Gionta and Stahl? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.