A little NHL trivia...

Eleven

Just now, Taro T said:

Would someone please come up w/ him soon?  Going friggin' nutz trying to think who the last one is.  

You can always look it up and not participate further.  It's not like you're getting a D- for getting 12/13.

I do have clues but there's no way I'm giving one until at least tomorrow.

• Sad 1

Just now, Eleven said:

You can always look it up and not participate further.  It's not like you're getting a D- for getting 12/13.

I do have clues but there's no way I'm giving one until at least tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Would someone please come up w/ him soon?  Going friggin' nutz trying to think who the last one is.  

I didn't know we restarted this, but I remember when Dick Duff was inducted due to a personal event. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Turgeon and Housley being in the HHoF ahead of Mogilny just baffles me.

Housley doesn't baffle me.  Turgeon, as well as Vernon, do.  

In 1992-93, maybe it should have been obvious to us:  The NHL refused to recognize Mogilny's 50-in-50 as legit because it was 50 games that HE played, not 50 team games (he had been injured for a few).  That distinction never had been drawn before, because it never had been necessary, but it seemed totally arbitrary and a snub at the time.  Maybe the league always had it in for the pioneer defector that BROUGHT NEW TALENT TO THE LEAGUE in droves.

6 minutes ago, tom webster said:

I didn't know we restarted this, but I remember when Dick Duff was inducted due to a personal event. 

I restarted it, thank you very much.  And Dick Duff is the missing one.  Until today, I didn't know that he even played AGAINST the Sabres (I thought he had retired before 1970) much less FOR.  Good job, boys.  One of you come up with another question, please.

Edited by Eleven

Just now, Taro T said:

What players that had more than a cup of coffee in the NHL went "cradle to grave" with the Sabres?

(Have to do some review on my own to make sure none are missed.)

Will even give people the 1st one: Perreault.  😉

Oh boy.  This is going to be tough.  Can you at least tell us how many?  And what defines "a cup of coffee"?

My memory of Dick Duff in Buffalo is at best hazy.

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

What players that had more than a cup of coffee in the NHL went "cradle to grave" with the Sabres?

(Have to do some review on my own to make sure none are missed.)

Will even give people the 1st one: Perreault.  😉

Ramsay and Hajt spring to mind.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Oh boy.  This is going to be tough.  Can you at least tell us how many?  And what defines "a cup of coffee"?

Am actually researching that right now.  (Probably should've picked something easier.)  The 3 that immediately spring to mind have been identified already.  (There have to be more than that though.)

As for a cup of coffee - would say Morris Titanic had a cup of coffee - 19 games.  Will look for players that played at least 80 games in their career.

2 minutes ago, tom webster said:

How many seasons are you accepting as minimum career and does player have to have retired after leaving and not even play in minors?  

I am accepting any player that played at least 80 games.  (Haven't set a cut off for goalies yet.)  They can have played in other non-NA leagues and can have played in the minors (before or leaving the Sabres).  

Basically, am looking for players that never left the Sabres during their NHL days.  Was thinking about carving out an exception for Dudley and guys like him that only played in the WHA if they weren't on the Sabres, but expect that will be too hard to verify.

Right now, there are 3 that have been identified and at least 3 others that meet that criteria.

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I am accepting any player that played at least 80 games.  (Haven't set a cut off for goalies yet.)  They can have played in other non-NA leagues and can have played in the minors (before or leaving the Sabres).  

Basically, am looking for players that never left the Sabres during their NHL days.  Was thinking about carving out an exception for Dudley and guys like him that only played in the WHA if they weren't on the Sabres, but expect that will be too hard to verify.

Right now, there are 3 that have been identified and at least 3 others that meet that criteria.

Yeah, 80 games really opens it up. I was thinking like ten seasons.

I can think of one that had a few seasons but played in minors after leaving but I’ll wait to see how it plays out. Good question though.

4 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Yeah, 80 games really opens it up. I was thinking like ten seasons.

I can think of one that had a few seasons but played in minors after leaving but I’ll wait to see how it plays out. Good question though.

Haven't looked up the goalies yet, but only came up with 8 total skaters that meet that criteria.  And had totally forgot 1 of them was ever a Sabre.  (Rather unremarkable career.)  And as mentioned upthread in one of the edits, 1 of those 8 played a long time overseas but only played with the Sabres in the NHL.

22 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This is going to last a week...which is fine...a good puzzle is a fun puzzle. 

To further the other clue.

2 are guys that would likely be considered to be Sabres when one hears their names.

2 are guys that would likely be considered to be Amerks when one hears their names.

Totally forgot the other guy had any affiliation with the Sabres organization at all.

And, it is entirely possible that there are 1 or 2 other guys that meet the threshold (80 NHL games, with no games played for other another WHA/NHL team) that were overlooked.  (Guess they'd fall into that 3rd category as well.)

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Am actually researching that right now.  (Probably should've picked something easier.)  The 3 that immediately spring to mind have been identified already.  (There have to be more than that though.)

As for a cup of coffee - would say Morris Titanic had a cup of coffee - 19 games.  Will look for players that played at least 80 games in their career.

Titanic (fitting name) should be part of another trivia question.  How many 1st rounders have played at least 15 games in the NHL and not registered a single point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.