Rasmus close to extension at $10M per

tom webster

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

He might be betting on the cap being in the upper $90m-$100m range in 2029 when his 5 year deal would be done. If he thinks he is a top 5 D-man in the league then, and in his prime, he will then be looking at a contract closer to $13 or $14m per year then.  I'm guessing his thinking is why not get 5 years at $10 or $10.5 now..and then cash in 5 years later when as a D-man he will be in his prime AND the cap is likely to be much higher.  From his point of view, long term he probably has more potential earnings going 5 instead of 8.

Another thing to think about....Thompson and Cozens are likely to be this teams stars up front going forward. Their deals are done in 2030. If Dahlin signs an 8 year extension, his deal won't be done until 2032.  He might want the  5 year deal so he is up again BEFORE Cozens and Thompson are up.  He and his agent may not want them to 'take all the money', he may want to be first in line for it.

Well he shouldn't be capable of getting top money and short term.

My minimum is 6 years, I won't listen to anything less.

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

He does have the right to take His Qualifying Offer of one year 7.2 Million next Summer and become an UFA July 1st, 2025. 

Dahlin really has the upper hand and can dictate the terms of His Next Deal. 

What really doesn’t make sense is Peters reporting that the deal is done at 8 years/10.5 Million AAV and then 10 days later reporting they are 3 years apart on term all of a sudden and that Dahlin is upset it’s not done. 

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

He does have the right to take His Qualifying Offer of one year 7.2 Million next Summer and become an UFA July 1st, 2025. 

Dahlin really has the upper hand and can dictate the terms of His Next Deal. 

What really doesn’t make sense is Peters reporting that the deal is done at 8 years/10.5 Million AAV and then 10 days later reporting they are 3 years apart on term all of a sudden and that Dahlin is upset it’s not done. 

Well he shouldn't have that right in my opinion

• dislike 1

12 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I don't disagree with you in the fact that I WANT him locked up long term. That is the best case scenario in my mind.

However, you said he shouldn't be capable of getting top money long term, but if he thinks he should then that is why there is no extension yet.

If you don't want to listen to anything less than 6 years (from the Sabres point of view) that may be another reason why there is no extension yet.

You can't put the pen in his hand and force him to sign what you want him too.  I'm not disagreeing with anything points you make, other than if Dahlin and his agent don't think the same way, THAT is why we are closing in on camp stat with no extension for him (yet).  One side is going to have to give in a little bit, lets see which side that is.

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't disagree with you in the fact that I WANT him locked up long term. That is the best case scenario in my mind.

However, you said he shouldn't be capable of getting top money long term, but if he thinks he should then that is why there is no extension yet.

If you don't want to listen to anything less than 6 years (from the Sabres point of view) that may be another reason why there is no extension yet.

You can't put the pen in his hand and force him to sign what you want him too.  I'm not disagreeing with anything points you make, other than if Dahlin and his agent don't think the same way, THAT is why we are closing in on camp stat with no extension for him (yet).  One side is going to have to give in a little bit, lets see which side that is.

My guess is it will be the team. Maybe five or six years.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

My gut feeling is that the term issue is not a play for more money in the future. Maybe Dahlin questions the commitment to winning like I do. All he has to do is turn around and look at his goaltenders.

You have become a caricature of yourself. Your gut feelings are out of whack because you have over-consumed fatty foods. Quickly find a bathroom so you can disgorge the source of your tummy rumblings. 

38 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Well if he refuses even 6x10.5 then he’s money hungry and lying about being a team player

The player is looking out for his best interest while the organization is looking out for its best interest. They negotiate and will eventually come to some resolution. For some players the process is simple. For some of the elite players it is more complicated. I'm confident it will soon work out. If not, then he will continue to work under the contract he currently has. That's the system. It's a business. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

My gut feeling is that the term issue is not a play for more money in the future. Maybe Dahlin questions the commitment to winning like I do. All he has to do is turn around and look at his goaltenders.

Sad to say it, but this has the very possible ring of truth.  

Hopefully, Levi is the real deal, but Dhalin is dealing with an extension before any of us are likely to know.  

That said, Dhalin is under contract for this season and is RFA on July 1.  He does not have to sign until sometime after this season ends.  Maybe he wants to see what happens.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Sad to say it, but this has the very possible ring of truth.  

Hopefully, Levi is the real deal, but Dhalin is dealing with an extension before any of us are likely to know.  

That said, Dhalin is under contract for this season and is RFA on July 1.  He does not have to sign until sometime after this season ends.  Maybe he wants to see what happens.

It's unlikely that Dahlin hasn't signed because a lack of this organization's commitment to getting better. He's had an inside view of this team get better, especially over the past couple of years. And he and organization recognize that he is one of the primary players, if not the primary player, in this team upsurge. He hasn't signed a new contract because he and the organization haven't agreed to the terms yet. My sense (opinion) is that the issue isn't so much money per year as it is the length of the contract. Because of the expectation of the cap going up in the future it's in his best interest to get a shorter-term deal done while it's in the interest of the organization to lock him up for a longer period of time. I'm confident that a deal will be worked out soon. If not, he will play under the current contract and have more time to work out a deal. Sometimes when a player is one of the premier players in the league getting a deal done is relatively simple. And sometimes when a player is one of the premier players in the league getting a deal done gets complicated. The Dahlin contract situation falls into the complicated category. 

Maybe he's not a pie in the sky fan boi. I would bet a lot of money I don't have that the true veterans and young veterans have used the occasion of a couple of beers to express their doubt and frustration.

For professional and economic reasons not all of them want to be on a perpetual development team.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

You have become a caricature of yourself. Your gut feelings are out of whack because you have over-consumed fatty foods. Quickly find a bathroom so you can disgorge the source of your tummy rumblings. 

Let me guess. My opinions are gut feelings and yours are carefully reasoned logic. We're guessing as to why Rasmus isn't extended (ahem).

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Let me guess. My opinions are gut feelings and yours are carefully reasoned logic. We're guessing as to why Rasmus isn't extended (ahem).

You stated your opinion was a gut feeling. There has not been one report that the player has issues about the team and the organization. It's over the contract numbers and term. What else could it be? It's a business where parties negotiate to get the best deal they can get. Now we have learned something new: Your imagination is linked up with your gut. 

10 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Well he shouldn't have that right in my opinion

How many years should a player have to remain with a team before becoming an UFA? 

Seven years was one of the terms negotiated between the NHL and the NHLPA for the CBA. 

I’m a huge Kevyn Adams Fan, but giving a bridge deal that takes Dahlin up to His Final Year of RFA was wrought with risk. 

I do believe the reports from @tom websterand Chad that the parameters of a new contract were agreed upon around July 1st and perhaps the AAV might have to approach 11 or even 12 Million per season, which is still worth it. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JohnC said:

You stated your opinion was a gut feeling. There has not been one report that the player has issues about the team and the organization. It's over the contract numbers and term. What else could it be? It's a business where parties negotiate to get the best deal they can get. Now we have learned something new: Your imagination is linked up with your gut. 

Term can be about uncertainty about the franchise's direction.

A bigger pod than Doohickie. Didn't see that coming.

My guess is he knows the cap is going up significantly in the next few years and wants either a short term deal around 3-4 years of an 8 year deal at a price that the Sabres aren't too keen on giving because he will eat up too big of a chunk in the first couple or 3 years of the deal.

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Term can be about uncertainty about the franchise's direction.

Everyone is projecting the cap to go up in the future. The player's incentive is to get to the next contract sooner to tap into that larger pool of $$$$. The organization's incentive is to delay getting to the that contract in order to save money. This is a clear example of competing interests. There is no indication that it reflects any uncertainty about the franchise from the player. 

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

How many years should a player have to remain with a team before becoming an UFA? 

Seven years was one of the terms negotiated between the NHL and the NHLPA for the CBA. 

I’m a huge Kevyn Adams Fan, but giving a bridge deal that takes Dahlin up to His Final Year of RFA was wrought with risk. 

I do believe the reports from @tom websterand Chad that the parameters of a new contract were agreed upon around July 1st and perhaps the AAV might have to approach 11 or even 12 Million per season, which is still worth it. 

Never 🙂

I’m just terrified of 5x12.5 and us being screwed royally like Toronto

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Cap wise, their stars all went for money and have handcuffed them for years now

imo it isn't Matthews that screwed them, it was Nylander squeezing them for maximum money and the Tavares signing was a terrible move. In a cap league you can have a few top forwards but then you have to reserve some big money for D and goal as well. They went really top heavy on scoring forwards and left nothing for the rest. They should never have signed Tavares and should have maybe traded Nylander for D years ago. 

We aren't similar as our top forward took less money than he would seem to command now so there is money left for D. Rasmus does have to be signed soon though or (and I don't want this but) he will have to be traded. No way you can let the season expire as is. I would give him the 5 year deal he wants. Kick the issue down the road when it might mean less and he might be more motivated to stay (assuming we are winning).

Eventually we are going to have a big problem paying guys though if all these prospects coming up mature at the same time (and are good of course). A good problem perhaps, but a problem all the same. Some moves will have to be made trading talent for bottom end depth and/or different prospects/picks. It'll be dealing from a position of strength though if/when that happens.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.