What Should the Goals be Next Season?

Taro T

10 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I don’t mean this as a criticism of Adams. I think he is good though at changing the narrative to spin things positively. None of us are eager to give up Savoie or Kulich. The post-deadline narrative became that Arizona wanted more from us than they got from Ottawa.  The implication was that Arizona asked for a high end prospect like Savoie or Kulich and these players were non-starters for the Sabres. What was not clear or addressed, from what I saw, is if Arizona was willing to take our 2023 1st instead of Savoie or Kulich. If so, then that is a bit of a different story. If Arizona’s ask was a 2023 1st or Savoie or Kulich and two 2nds, then they wanted basically the same thing from us and we were not willing to pay the price.  

I took it as they wanted 2023 first and Savoie 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

There are plenty of personal milestones to reach.  30 goals is still possible for VO, Skinner and Cozens.  15 for Quinn.  10+ for Krebs and JJP. 50 is still possible for Tage, who also only needs 13 points from 100 for the season.  Dahlin needs 1 goal for 15 and 12 points for 75. Power needs 2 points for 30. Mitts 8 for 50.

The last Sabres with 50+ goals and/or 100 pts were Patty and Alex in 1992/93.  Last Sabre with 90+ points was Briere in 2006/7.  Only 4 Sabres have ever scored 50. Alex, Patty, Rico and Danny.  Only 5 Sabres have ever reached 100 pts in a season; Gilbert (2), Alex, Patty, Robert and Turgeon. Only 9 players have had a 90+ point season; Gilbert (5)  Patty (3), Hawerchuk (2), Briere, Turgeon, Andreychuk, Martin, Mogilny and Robert with 1 each.

Last D with 70+ points was Housley in  1989/90.  Last D to 15 goals was Zhitnik in 1997/98 and last D to 60 points was Housley as well. Only 3 D in Sabres history have had 60+ in a season.  Dahlin (1), Van Boxmeer (2), Housley (8).  

From a team standing point, winning 7 games down the stretch will give them 40 wins; the most since 43 in 2010-2011.  Scoring 8 more goals will give them their highest output since 2006-07’s 308.  Scoring 34 more goals will match the output from 1993-94 with 282, besting 2005-06’s 281.  

They have allowed 256 goals against.  Right now we are a minus 8 for the season. If they can keep it here, they’ll finish with their best differential since 2011-12 when they were -12 for the season.

I’ve been waiting for Dahlin to get his 50th assist for a month 

8 hours ago, Thorny said:

A tangible goal is Dahlin not going 8 games without points. We generally win when he contributes points and doesn’t when he does not. Not running him into the ground minutes wise should greatly aid, and that means defensive additions and assuredly not rookies. 

Or handcuffing him to Bryson if his partner is out 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

This year: Finish the season good, break out of this slump

Next year: Make the playoffs barring crippling injuries to Dahlin/Thompson for half the year

Use everything at your disposal besides Savoie, Kulich, Levi and (likely this year's 1st prospect) to generally upgrade the team as a whole.

When you say use .  Do you mean use them as trade bait? Or actually use them on the roster?

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Just to play Devil's Advocate, why are we taking marketable pieces off the table in an attempt to get better now? How far out are we pushing the window? Wheni is Kulich a contributor on a playoff team?

I suppose I have to agree Levi is untouchable, but beyond that...

You can find what you need in a trade without giving up your top 2 or 3 prospects.  
when was the last time a team gave up their top prospect in a trade ? Especially one as highly ranked as Kulich or Savoie 

there’s a chance that Kulich is a contributor to a playoff team as soon as next season 

6 hours ago, French Collection said:

I would move Kulich if the return is Saros.

Trade assets: All draft picks, UPL, Comrie, Bryson, Olofsson (get him 30) and all prospects except Savoie and Kulich.

Bye bye: Comrie, Bryson, Clague, Hinostroza, Okposo. Greenway has a 20 game tryout next year.

I like KO but he is done. His leadership has helped but he has only played 24 playoff games in 16 years. Give the C to one of the young guns and bring in a vet with a winning pedigree + sandpaper. I’ve mentioned McDonagh before as an example.

You can get Saros if he’s available at all without giving up Kulich

3 hours ago, Sabres73 said:

I think this season's goal has always been to have this young group play "meaningful" games in March. So mission accomplished, now they have been exposed to what it takes. This is a good thing, despite us all being disappointed we're not a playoff team.

Next year's goal will be making the playoffs, while further developing our young core and adding a couple more pieces.

I honestly don't get the anger towards the franchise, we're on pace and following the plan. Many of you would have us fire/trade everyone and putting us back to square one again.

Thank you! 

35 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

God, I wish it were possible to get ROR back this offseason..... he'd literally solve our vet, lack of playoff experience, defensive forward and faceoff guy in one fell swoop. 

I think he’s done .  Much like bringing in Stall a few years ago.   
Though the idea is solid 

44 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

God, I wish it were possible to get ROR back this offseason..... he'd literally solve our vet, lack of playoff experience, defensive forward and faceoff guy in one fell swoop. 

Funny.  The same thing hit me too.

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Subtract out the 2 Boston and 1 Dallas game and the numbers are far less ugly. -19 goals are from those 3 games.

12-16-4 vs the top 16 with a -20 isn’t exactly awful for a young team. It means they were mostly within 1.5 goals in every game

That's like saying you can measure inflation taking out gas and food from the analysis.  

"...Mostly within 1.5 goals in every game."  Wow.  Let's get the participation trophies distributed while we're at it.  

I only have one goal for them, do not pay a guy who is not playing in the NHL anymore, just to reach the cap floor. Pay for actual, skating, players that make the team better. Only once they do this, will I find it worth my while to come up with other goals.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Omg. I’m agreeing with every one of your posts.  Not sure that’s a good thing or not lol

Of course it’s good.  You’re developing nicely.  Now cut the cigarettes down to a half pack a day,and do 100 pushups and 100 sit ups every day this summer.  Come to amp ready.  

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

There can be no other option than the playoffs.  No excuses.  As evidenced by the number of visiting fans in the building on a nightly basis, this fanbase will not be able to deal with year 13.  Problem is... who will they pass in the division?  The only hope will be grabbing the 7th or 8th spot which should be doable with some major upgrades.  If anyone will want to come here, that is.

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

No to the demonic goat.  Yes to everything else here.  Even if you don't like that kind of player, I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with a couple of guys Mike Grier being added to the team or the Sabres icing a line akin to Mair-Gaustad-Kaleta.

I know a lot of people hate the goat, but I just remember we had a lot of team toughness in that era and they seem to play harder and better in them so I can't shake that identity thing from those jerseys. 

But yes, the 4th line like that is what we need. Gaustad was a good PK guy too. We could guys like that for sure. 

3 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Glad you aren’t managing the team. You blow your whole load just trying to make the playoffs once

The reality is that though no matter who they brought in they weren’t beating Boston 

That’s even if made the playoffs   

But maybe your organization doesn't end up being a joke with an arena filled with Bruins fans.  Maybe the less committed fans will come back when they see the effort by management and the move in the right direction (those not on this board where everyone should be committed but the ones who want to be fans but just can't until it gets better). Maybe you start to sell some seasons tickets again. 

Maybe when free agents see the steps forward like making the playoffs, maybe then they start to rethink the idea of not wanting to come to Buffalo. Maybe players drop us off their 10 team no trade lists. 

perceptions do matter at this point. Most people aren't die hards like the ones who stick around here year after year.

As for "blow your whole load" that's nonsense. When you have drafted well and have multiple prospects you can spend some draft capital on making improvements. So you lose Savoie but you gain Chychrun. How is that blowing your whole load? You get a D man already broken in and ready to maximize his potential. You no longer have a D depth problem. He's still yours for next season after this. The whole season. So you play next year with a top 4 of Samuelsson Dahlin Power and Chychrun or you lack D depth keep a pick and maybe Savoie is ready, maybe he contributes a little, maybe he plays in Rochester maybe he's no better than Mitts maybe he's Nylander. A lot of maybes and a lot more waiting. 

and if I was managing this team we would already have made the playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Night Train said:

Anyone that still endorses a missed trade this past month as the reason for failure is in serious denial. 

They do NOT play D at all and allow opponents to own the middle lane of the ice.  Float and watch.  

So what they need going forward is better or new coaching. Hit the weight room. Get an edge to their play. Find a goalie to go with Levi because these 3 are not it. More leadership types. 

Ya, you do need all that, but adding the player(s) through those missed trades would have helped. Step(s) in the right direction at least. 

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

But maybe your organization doesn't end up being a joke with an arena filled with Bruins fans.  Maybe the less committed fans will come back when they see the effort by management and the move in the right direction (those not on this board where everyone should be committed but the ones who want to be fans but just can't until it gets better). Maybe you start to sell some seasons tickets again. 

Maybe when free agents see the steps forward like making the playoffs, maybe then they start to rethink the idea of not wanting to come to Buffalo. Maybe players drop us off their 10 team no trade lists. 

perceptions do matter at this point. Most people aren't die hards like the ones who stick around here year after year.

As for "blow your whole load" that's nonsense. When you have drafted well and have multiple prospects you can spend some draft capital on making improvements. So you lose Savoie but you gain Chychrun. How is that blowing your whole load? You get a D man already broken in and ready to maximize his potential. You no longer have a D depth problem. He's still yours for next season after this. The whole season. So you play next year with a top 4 of Samuelsson Dahlin Power and Chychrun or you lack D depth keep a pick and maybe Savoie is ready, maybe he contributes a little, maybe he plays in Rochester maybe he's no better than Mitts maybe he's Nylander. A lot of maybes and a lot more waiting. 

and if I was managing this team we would already have made the playoffs

Wow now that’s a statement.  Besides giving up Savoie for Chychrun.  What other moves would you have made to guarantee this playoff spot ?

and no getting your doors blown off by Boston doesn’t change the perception. 
there is no way you are the guy who says “I’m just happy to be here “ after they lose 

all making the playoffs would do is delay your negativity for an extra day or 2   

Develop defensively. As we’ve seen if you can’t defend all that fancy offence means squat. The good teams have the foundation of good defensive play in place and feast on teams like ours offensively because of it. Sure we can get away with run and gun with weak teams but games against good opponents we are down right unwatchable.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, bunomatic said:

Develop defensively. As we’ve seen if you can’t defend all that fancy offence means squat. The good teams have the foundation of good defensive play in place and feast on teams like ours offensively because of it. Sure we can get away with run and gun with weak teams but games against good opponents we are down right unwatchable.

Weaker opponents have beat us well.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.