GDT: Big Bad Bruins at Sabres, 3-19-2023 1pm ESPN+, MSG

matter2003

20 minutes ago, hockey said:

Hearing plenty of laughter in the room behind Don's Q&A.

Just watched this, it is an excellent clip. If you fail meeting a deadline or something in the office you don't have fun afterwards. When you're playing a professional sport, that's your job, treat it like one.

Just now, lowsabre said:

Just watched this, it is an excellent clip. If you fail meeting a deadline or something in the office you don't have fun afterwards. When you're playing a professional sport, that's your job, treat it like one.

I must admit that I'd usually be in a great mood if I were making that kind of money, but oh well.

Just now, Justin C said:

I want an explanation from Granato on putting 53/37/71 as a line. They may be the three worst defensive players on the team. And not only that, he willingly put them on the ice against the Bruins top line which lead to the 4th goal.

It would have made little to no difference what the lines are today. Ok ok maybe it would have been 5-1 instead 😂

2 minutes ago, hockey said:

I must admit that I'd usually be in a great mood if I were making that kind of money, but oh well.

I suppose, but naturally, you'd get used to it over time. That's why they say that no matter how rich you become, you always want more.

Edited by lowsabre

As an FYI: teaching a lock-down, defence-at-all-costs, boring defencive system prevents games like this and helps defencemen and goalkeepers.  But then your youth develop the way Bylsma's did in Pittsburgh and Buffalo: no one but the ultra-high-end truly develops.

Having said that...

There has got to be a medium between Bylsma and what Donnie Meatballs has done here with this roster.  It is clear that Donnie needs to teach a real defencive system to the players younger than Tuch.  I know that the progression of offence in year 1 and defence in year 2 is commonly very effective in year 2, but teaching more defencive awareness in year 1 has to be what the next coaches around the league learn from us.

Edited by Marvin
Missed goalkeepers

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Where'd you go? My family loves crepes.

I've been going to the Paris Bistro for years, they do little French presses with good Java, the crepes are always delicious there, I have nexus so it's 2 seconds to cross the whirlpool Bridge for a bite to eat. 

30 minutes ago, BUFtoNCfan said:

I grew up in Buffalo, 56 years old. So I was fortunate to see some fun years. My son watched games with me. He’s in his twenties, left NC and moved to Buffalo. He struggles to watch Sabres. He does, but it’s not like when we watch the Bills. I hope this team can get the fan base back. When it gets going, man it’s fun! 

Are you seeing a TEAM that really has turned the corner and on the cusp of getting to the PLAYOFFS?

I am seeing a YOUNG TEAM regressing cause they got hurt and Adams and Granto did nothing to help THEM out. Could have called up Rochester players for a game or two to help out when Tuch was hurt.

Now I am watching that TEAM in a Total Collapse, They can't stop goals, bad defense and NO offense to speak of scoring wise.

PROGRESS?

Cant stop looking for abuse. As far as Greenway goes. I’m not impressed, he’s not physical enough, at least to my expectations. Wasn’t that why he was brought in? It wasn’t his scoring prowess. I hope the hell Meatballs doesn’t think he can turn him into one. He looks lost and moves a bit faster than a glacier. He also looks disinterested and quite frankly doesn’t look all that skilled.
That being said I’m not ready to trade him for a bag of pucks. We have him for two years. I’m hopeful they will find a spot for him in the second half of the lineup. Develop him over the summer, gel with teammates on and off ice. Put the work in and get a sense of urgency. That’s on the coaches. Fingers crossed, Donnie has done a fine job with quite a few players. He fixes Greenway and I’ll be impressed. Fire away! 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Justin C said:

I want an explanation from Granato on putting 53/37/71 as a line. They may be the three worst defensive players on the team. And not only that, he willingly put them on the ice against the Bruins top line which lead to the 4th goal.

He didn’t have an excuse for Jost being a healthy scratch 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I didn't want to say too much cause you all know the Bruins are my second team below the Sabres (I think I must be insane for not reversing that yet) but this was downright embarrassing. Everything was set up for a chance to beat them. They were on the 5th and final game of a road trip, back to back after a tough game in Minnesota, Sabres rested, Bruins resting people, back up goalie, what more can you ask for? 

Do the Sabres not understand that you have to cover the slot and the dangerous shooting areas? I don't get this team's "plan" at all. They don't check in their own end and they don't fight through in the offensive zone. It's pathetic. 

The sportsnet feed I had to watch was NESN and although jack Edwards is an idiot - no argument there - he said one interesting thing that struck me as a primary difference between the teams and their cultures. To paraphrase (roughly from memory) he said "most people think the Sabres will be a dangerous team when they learn to play team defense. Defense is the hardest thing for young offensive talent to learn and has to come first to make it in the NHL." And that's the difference. Bruins stress that with their youth and it's a team defense concept and everybody buys in. We seem to think it'll magically come later. 

Dylan Cozens could be a Bruin. Maybe Alex Tuch. That's about it. 

Anyway, it was really weird to see all those Bruins jerseys against empty blue seats at the end of the game. Kind of sums up the franchise.

Sabres are still a joke. 

(did you notice Clifton wipe out Quinn end of the second? That's why I was saying he's an under the radar cheaper FA to target. If they actually want to become a hockey team that is and not a Disney on ice show.)

You're not a Sabres fan. 

• Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • dislike 1

2 minutes ago, BUFtoNCfan said:

Cant stop looking for abuse. As far as Greenway goes. I’m not impressed, he’s not physical enough, at least to my expectations. Wasn’t that why he was brought in? It wasn’t his scoring prowess. I hope the hell Meatballs doesn’t think he can turn him into one. He looks lost and moves a bit faster than a glacier. He also looks disinterested and quite frankly doesn’t look all that skilled.
That being said I’m not ready to trade him for a bag of pucks. We have him for two years. I’m hopeful they will find a spot for him in the second half of the lineup. Develop him over the summer, gel with teammates on and off ice. Put the work in and get a sense of urgency. That’s on the coaches. Fingers crossed, Donnie has done a fine job with quite a few players. He fixes Greenway and I’ll be impressed. Fire away! 

Wait till next season, Greenway will equal cozens 🤣

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Are you seeing a TEAM that really has turned the corner and on the cusp of getting to the PLAYOFFS?

I am seeing a YOUNG TEAM regressing cause they got hurt and Adams and Granto did nothing to help THEM out. Could have called up Rochester players for a game or two to help out when Tuch was hurt.

Now I am watching that TEAM in a Total Collapse, They can't stop goals, bad defense and NO offense to speak of scoring wise.

PROGRESS?

You have the worst posting etiquette on this site. Full caps every random word makes me wonder if you're actual Trump posting as a Sabres fan. 

17 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

No the Sabres had an expected goals for of 2.93, Boston got the saves, The Sabres not so much 

No one here is interested in rational evaluations of this teams play. 

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, TRIP65 said:

PROGRESS?

Whoa!! Easy.

I agree with you. Like 100%.

Am I seeing a team on the cusp of playoffs. Absolutely not. Next year? They will need some major holes filled.

If they are together when they are 25-29 years old with the right coach I think they might be pretty darn good. But my personal pet peeve is we need to get tougher in d zone.

• Agree 1

38 minutes ago, sabremike said:

Kevyn Adams is a bs artist whose main objective is maintaining job security. If this was a real organization with standards he would actually have to do his job and meet them.

I think he is Genuine but that doesn't make him right for GM, at least NOT without a direction from a VP of Hockey Organization.

Development Plan isn't a Plan for Playoffs, as you said, it is maintaining job Security

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.