GDT: Rangers at Sabres, Saturday, March 11, 2023, 5:07 p.m., MSG

PASabreFan

10 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I was out all day and only caught the first and third periods on my phone so I probably missed a lot. This is the kind of game I shrug off, am maybe even happy with, if the context was different and they had been winning of late. Today's Sabres team would win 50+ games if it was the baseline. 

And a lesson for Kevyn - when the Sabres play like the Rangers did today, they lose 5-1. Don't wait for Levi unless he pulls a Dryden this spring. Your team can win a lot of games if you find a guy that can steal some points on off nights, rather than rolling guys who sometimes give your points to the other team when you show up. PTR loves to talk about our team defense - the Rangers are going to the playoffs and fighting for home ice, and are probably good enough to win a cup with the typical bounces. Their goalie gave up 1 today, and got his team two points, despite that team in front of him allowing THIRTY scoring chances according to NST. UPL had a very good day, so I don't mean to rag on him, I want him here as our backup next year. It is fair to have extreme expectations at this point for a position that has been handled so poorly for years running. 

Faceoffs - nobody is asking for Cody Eakin, or any other questionable hockey player who can nevertheless win a draw. But we are second-last in faceoffs at 45.6%, and that faceoff rate PLUMMETS if it's at a crucial moment. I can't prove this, but I would put my life savings on it. We were second-worst last year as well. There is no reason to be that large of an outlier in ANY facet of NHL hockey for two years running. Something needs to be happening at, before, after practices, with the players and the coaches, to fix this, and it should have been happening all along. They don't matter until they do, and when they do, we get obliterated 

It is harder to watch meaningless March hockey now that we've gotten a taste of the real thing, unfortunately we might be there now 

There were two faceoffs in OT.  We lost them both. We never had possession of the puck in OT.  We did touch the puck long enough to get a whistle when we were called for a penalty.  Other than that, we did not posses the puck.  

We also give up a ton of shots by cleanly losing faceoffs in our defensive zone.  Cutting that down has to help the overall GAA.  

Yes, faceoffs matter to good teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Sabres lose 2-1 to the NY refs

I know it's "swallow the whistle for playoffs" time but I want to know why we can cleanly win the race to the puck and still have icing called against us, while we commit an icing infraction despite their skater getting to the puck 3 feet before the goal line, six times per night for the last 3 weeks. I forgot exactly what game it was, but one of the last few our opponent iced the puck with impunity and it was never called to the point where it was comical 

It is flagrantly tilted for the "veteran teams" so that the young guns "earn their stripes" and "learn what it's like to play in meaningful games" or something, you can see it plain as day when they stare at our guys getting victimized by textbook high sticks, holds, hooks, even elbows, and then nail us for ticky-tack stuff a fraction of the severity, and it's not just the Sabres, you see it happen in other games with teams like ours - the teams deemed "not quite there yet" with "some lessons to learn" 

This wasn't happening for the first few months of the year (save the tampa games) and it ramped up suddenly, makes it hard to want to turn on the game 

Quinn was completely baffled at one point, the perfect visual for this phenomenon, the face of a 13 year old, fully understanding what is happening and beyond frustrated about it but completely powerless to it

But the boys need to bottle it up and commit to becoming a 50 win team. If you play like today, you can win 50. If you are a 50 win team, you won't be cheated out of the playoffs by calls, luck, or injuries, because only teams with depth and skill and perseverance can win 50 games. 50 is the magic number for this offseason, what does it take to turn this team into a 50 win team. You think you're getting shafted by refs this March? Shove it in their face in October. Make them irrelevant. Steamroll your opponent so no "keep the game close" call will ever phase you, and make sure you "accidentally" hit a few of these pieces of sh*t in the nuts on a dump in from time to time

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

They played a great game and really did play well enough to win in regulation.

Thought all 18 skaters came to play today (even Mr. Hard Luck tonight Olofsson) and UPL had his best game in a while.

They actually backchecked hard and did a good job of limiting the Rags chances. Never can understand why they can only play that way in their own end once every 5 or so games (if that). Play like this 14 or so times out of these last 17 and they have a shot.

Hope Levi gets a game this week.

ECHO sentiments but reality shows this week 1 point in 8. Had three home games and FLOPPED but 1. Down to 17 games and unless they win every game next week away. Have NO shot at playoffs without a complete collapse of Ottawa, Pittsburgh and/or Islanders

4 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Flubersson.    What more can Dahlin do ??  

SCORE

4 hours ago, Kristian said:

I am so sick of Olofsson….

30 goal scorer we can't STAND

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TRIP65 said:

ECHO sentiments but reality shows this week 1 point in 8. Had three home games and FLOPPED but 1. Down to 17 games and unless they win every game next week away. Have NO shot at playoffs without a complete collapse of Ottawa, Pittsburgh and/or Islanders

Oh yeah, the task has become Herculean.  But, win Monday, and then worry about the next one.  Play like they did tonight and they have a very good chance to get that 1st W in the last 5.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I assume this in reference to the stick he put on Zibanejad's hip that didn't impede Zibanejad in the slightest, but he clamped down on in order to draw attention to in the hope of creating a penalty?

That sort of "stick foul"that happened 27 other times in the 3rd period but was ignored but was called this time because it's the NHL?

You're going to blame the loss on Dahlin because of that?

Terrible take.

Dahls needs to learn to keep his stick down there. He knows the call is coming. He takes way too many of them, and too many of them are things he should know they're going to call whether or not they should. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Loss after loss after loss. Dumb penalties, keep your stick off the mid section. 

Reacting and SLOWLY. Not experienced and smarter TEAMS are schooling them. Lack of Experience. Okoposso is 6-7 years of losing now. All Girg knows too. Brought in NOONE to help with WINNING NOW. Granto doesn't know how either in NHL. Lacking Winning Experience in NHL Playoff Hockey.

48 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I know it's "swallow the whistle for playoffs" time but I want to know why we can cleanly win the race to the puck and still have icing called against us, while we commit an icing infraction despite their skater getting to the puck 3 feet before the goal line, six times per night for the last 3 weeks. I forgot exactly what game it was, but one of the last few our opponent iced the puck with impunity and it was never called to the point where it was comical 

It is flagrantly tilted for the "veteran teams" so that the young guns "earn their stripes" and "learn what it's like to play in meaningful games" or something, you can see it plain as day when they stare at our guys getting victimized by textbook high sticks, holds, hooks, even elbows, and then nail us for ticky-tack stuff a fraction of the severity, and it's not just the Sabres, you see it happen in other games with teams like ours - the teams deemed "not quite there yet" with "some lessons to learn" 

This wasn't happening for the first few months of the year (save the tampa games) and it ramped up suddenly, makes it hard to want to turn on the game 

Quinn was completely baffled at one point, the perfect visual for this phenomenon, the face of a 13 year old, fully understanding what is happening and beyond frustrated about it but completely powerless to it

But the boys need to bottle it up and commit to becoming a 50 win team. If you play like today, you can win 50. If you are a 50 win team, you won't be cheated out of the playoffs by calls, luck, or injuries, because only teams with depth and skill and perseverance can win 50 games. 50 is the magic number for this offseason, what does it take to turn this team into a 50 win team. You think you're getting shafted by refs this March? Shove it in their face in October. Make them irrelevant. Steamroll your opponent so no "keep the game close" call will ever phase you, and make sure you "accidentally" hit a few of these pieces of sh*t in the nuts on a dump in from time to time

I have commented on this several time lately.  This has to be easiest part of their job, yet they don’t call it consistently over the course of a game.   Which makes me want to go back to the old rules. Take the officials out of it. 

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, TRIP65 said:

Players who wore the SWORDS! Call them SOFT

Lindy Ruff

Mike Foligno

Mike Ramsey

Bill Hajt

Tom Barrasso

Pierre Turgeon

Craig Ramsay

Dale Hawerchuk

Jim Schoenfeld

Rene Robert

Phil Housley

Danny Gare

Dave Andreychuk

Rick Martin

Gilbert Perreault

Take any of them over what came after them. Believe they could beat a TEAM of GOAT HEADS

Umm, you hurt your argument by including Turgeon and especially Housley as examples of players that weren't soft.  Turgeon was soft as butter and Housley still hasn't figured out that Stephane Richer didn't wear blue and gold.  Pretty sure he still gets Christmas cards from Richer.  There's a reason the team finally got past the 1st round of the playoffs once both those 2 had been removed.

• Thanks (+1) 2

I seriously wonder why the post lockout "rules" just faded away seemingly overnight. The trapezoid is pointless, though. 

I strongly dislike 3 on 3 in overtime, as Thorny said earlier. 3 on 3 has way too much open ice, a team can horde the puck forever, and if a team takes a penalty it's basically over for them. Some executive was saying a way while back that penalties in OT should only be a minute long, I might agree there. 

Every thing about overtime is far too gimmicky. 3 on 3, shootout, LOSER point. Get rid of all of it. Why would a team ever get a point for losing? Makes beyond zero sense. Shootouts are exciting, but that's about it. Would not mind them going back to 5 on 5 for 5 minutes and ties. Makes the most sense, easily 

The refs are all over the place lately, but Dahlin has to be smarter there. He's a leader on this team, no excuses 

Lead by example 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Umm, you hurt your argument by including Turgeon and especially Housley as examples of players that weren't soft.  Turgeon was soft as butter and Housley still hasn't figured out that Stephane Richer didn't wear blue and gold.  Pretty sure he still gets Christmas cards from Richer.  There's a reason the team finally got past the 1st round of the playoffs once both those 2 had been removed.

Hall of Famers. PLENTY of GOAT HEADS that would be called SOFT. You pick a 1st and 6th overall by the Sabres, GOOD LUCK WITH THAT!

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I assume this in reference to the stick he put on Zibanejad's hip that didn't impede Zibanejad in the slightest, but he clamped down on in order to draw attention to in the hope of creating a penalty?

That sort of "stick foul"that happened 27 other times in the 3rd period but was ignored but was called this time because it's the NHL?

You're going to blame the loss on Dahlin because of that?

Terrible take.

He lost the argument at THEM

39 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Oh yeah, the task has become Herculean.  But, win Monday, and then worry about the next one.  Play like they did tonight and they have a very good chance to get that 1st W in the last 5.

Good chance based on Road Record. Outside of that, give them NO SHOT.

20 minutes ago, TageMVP said:

I seriously wonder why the post lockout "rules" just faded away seemingly overnight. The trapezoid is pointless, though. 

I strongly dislike 3 on 3 in overtime, as Thorny said earlier. 3 on 3 has way too much open ice, a team can horde the puck forever, and if a team takes a penalty it's basically over for them. Some executive was saying a way while back that penalties in OT should only be a minute long, I might agree there. 

Every thing about overtime is far too gimmicky. 3 on 3, shootout, LOSER point. Get rid of all of it. Why would a team ever get a point for losing? Makes beyond zero sense. Shootouts are exciting, but that's about it. Would not mind them going back to 5 on 5 for 5 minutes and ties. Makes the most sense, easily 

The refs are all over the place lately, but Dahlin has to be smarter there. He's a leader on this team, no excuses 

Lead by example 

1 pt is already earned. Goes to a shoot out next. Personally I would like 4 on 4 but 3 on 3 just fine. Benefits Sabres if they use it right.

Wondering if Tage and Dahlin are playing hurt. They aren't doing the things we're used to see them do lately. Tage especially looks like his moves aren't working anymore, as if they know what he's going to do. He can't get shots off either. All he does successfully now is pass. Dahlin doesn't seem to do those rushes up the ice as well as the setups and  little fakes inside the blueline on the pp.

Edited by Quint

6 minutes ago, Quint said:

Wondering if Tage and Dahlin are playing hurt. They aren't doing the things we're used to see them do lately. Tage especially looks like his moves aren't working anymore, as if they know what he's going to do. He can't get shots off either. All he does successfully now is pass. Dahlin doesn't seem to do those rushes up the ice as well as the setups and  little fakes inside the blueline on the pp.

I am a fan of the work Donnie has done here with the kids. Baring a full collapse doesn’t he last 17 games I welcome him back with open arms. 

But this is part of my frustration. Adjustments. We seem to only breakout through the center. When teams clog the lanes we just bash our head into the wall and won’t go near the boards. We almost refuse to dump and chase against a strong forecheck. And to your point about Tomers, a bit, it feels like we are allergic to working the puck from low to high in the offensive zone. 

I have some mild fear that Granato built some talent but the team is one trick pony’s under him. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, TRIP65 said:

Players who wore the SWORDS! Call them SOFT

Lindy Ruff

Mike Foligno

Mike Ramsey

Bill Hajt

Tom Barrasso

Pierre Turgeon

Craig Ramsay

Dale Hawerchuk

Jim Schoenfeld

Rene Robert

Phil Housley

Danny Gare

Dave Andreychuk

Rick Martin

Gilbert Perreault

Take any of them over what came after them. Believe they could beat a TEAM of GOAT HEADS

Well you do realize you took a trip WAY back in the time machine right? Also, I said soft for their era. The French Connection were superior talents and a great line, but in that era, they ultimately got bullied by Broad Street. 

Turgeon and Housley were soft. Everything's relative. 

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Not really true.

For the short era of  the black and reds Goat Heads they had some very tough teams, definitely a higher  percent of very tough teams.   But many of those players also played in Blue and Gold too.  The earlier two decades of Blue and Gold had plenty of guys that would have hammered the Goat Heads, and many more that could beat them at hockey. 

Every era has to be looked at in relation to it's own era. The argument that some guys wore both uniforms isn't really relevant either. You're attached to the blue and gold and that's okay. I'm probably in a small minority who wish we'd switch back to red black and white forever. Pegula likes the blue and gold so I think you are safe. 

49 minutes ago, Quint said:

Ask you something, who on the team is playing consistent enough to help TAGE out of what is happening. Points are still coming from the LINE, much less. TUCH is missing. Name one player who is helping out perform TAGE to help him out game after game the last 5?

41 minutes ago, Mango said:

I am a fan of the work Donnie has done here with the kids. Baring a full collapse doesn’t he last 17 games I welcome him back with open arms. 

But this is part of my frustration. Adjustments. We seem to only breakout through the center. When teams clog the lanes we just bash our head into the wall and won’t go near the boards. We almost refuse to dump and chase against a strong forecheck. And to your point about Tomers, a bit, it feels like we are allergic to working the puck from low to high in the offensive zone. 

I have some mild fear that Granato built some talent but the team is one trick pony’s under him. 

YES, Granto has to show them multi ways to win. He labels them Young and Learning. They get BEAT at home at a high rate. GM loves his Prospects he crys at Press Conferences. Giving awards for being a SABRE, MY GUY! We are heading in the WRONG direction again, just the other side of it where it is our guys drafted or NONE.

3 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

Ask you something, who on the team is playing consistent enough to help TAGE out of what is happening. Points are still coming from the LINE, much less. TUCH is missing. Name one player who is helping out perform TAGE to help him out game after game the last 5?

Tage needs Tuch back. Absolutely. I think Greenway benefits greatly working with Tage. I love the addition, but we need Tuch back.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, TRIP65 said:

YES, Granto has to show them multi ways to win. He labels them Young and Learning. They get BEAT at home at a high rate. GM loves his Prospects he crys at Press Conferences. Giving awards for being a SABRE, MY GUY! We are heading in the WRONG direction again, just the other side of it where it is our guys drafted or NONE.

This went down a rabbit whole I don’t want to go anywhere near at the moment. 

Being afraid that Granato might max himself out with this roster is wildly different than saying the org is effed and moving in the wrong direction.

You might be right. But it’s waaay too early for that.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.