GDT: Rangers at Sabres, Saturday, March 11, 2023, 5:07 p.m., MSG

PASabreFan

27 minutes ago, KC Scouts said:

Many of us have been using our eyes this year and have seen the improvement.......encouraging for sure.

Now the difficult question, and I'm not trying to be argumentative but when do you start judging the team by wins, points and playoffs? What season?

Next year. But we may be adding more rookies like Kulich and Rosen. There's going to be a learning curve there. Just keep taking forward steps. We'll get there.

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

JJ Peterka was fantastic tonight. One of the few times this year I've seen the player I watched close out the season in Rochester last year.

Quinn was very good as well. Not often this year you could say Dylan Cozens was the 3rd-best player on his line, but that was the case tonight.

Jokiharju was consistently breaking up the plays and getting the puck out. Lyubushkin was a force. Samuelsson was the good Mule. Jost and Mitts were hard on pucks.

Lots of good efforts from guys who can be hit and miss tonight.

Agreed. Quinn was full of fire I thought for sure he was gonna pot one.  I also liked Jost and Krebs.

As mentioned above Rangers fans were obnoxious.  "let's go rangers" chants before "...by the dawn's early light.." and multiple interruptions during the anthems. First time this year that's happened.   Who are these people?  There had to be 5000 of them in the building and it's a long drive from NYC.  Hopefully they aren't back for the next game at the end of the month.  

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

JJ Peterka was fantastic tonight. One of the few times this year I've seen the player I watched close out the season in Rochester last year.

Quinn was very good as well. Not often this year you could say Dylan Cozens was the 3rd-best player on his line, but that was the case tonight.

Jokiharju was consistently breaking up the plays and getting the puck out. Lyubushkin was a force. Samuelsson was the good Mule. Jost and Mitts were hard on pucks.

Lots of good efforts from guys who can be hit and miss tonight.

The biggest positive takeaway for me is the play of Peterka. (As you noted.) Not only was he the best player on his line but I would go so far as to say he was one of the better players in this game. He markedly stood out. 

I agree with you that Joki and Lyubushkin both stood out. How can that not be a positive development with implications beyond this game when you add them to blue line assemblage that includes Dahlin, Samuelsson and Power. 

I understand the disappointment of many because of the final outcome. But what this game demonstrated is that this team is capable of playing at a higher level. All the negatives and deficiencies that have repeatedly been called out this season by all of us were not exhibited in this game. I will say it again that I thought despite the final outcome, this was one of the finest games played by the Sabres this season. And for me from the beginning to the end it was one of the most entertaining games of the season. This was hockey played at a high level by both teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Question: I just finished the game. What happened on the offsides goal? ESPN+ never showed a replay, and the next thing I saw was the game 90 second later?

It was offsides. A player was heading to the bench and was still in the zone when Jost entered the zone and shot it in. It was the right call. 

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I went skiing at Holimont today, then I made a wonderful herb crusted rack of lamb and I have a pork butt in the fridge caked in mustard and spices for prep to smoke all day tomorrow. 

It would be nice to be invited to dinner.

Edited by Eleven

Good evening teammates, Punch checking in. 

I watched the last 9 minutes plus OT in the restaurant bar and I saw we lost 2-1.  Bummer. 

I went home and watched it again in a better environment, my man cave.  

I am going to keep my summary simple.   They played an excellent game and dominated most of it.  Especially, the end of the 3rd.  It should have never went to OT.  

The OT penalty was crummy.  The ref put his whistle away long ago, and then called that one. 

The Sabres never had possession of the puck in OT.  They lost the face off, never had possession, took a penalty.  Lost the face off, never had possession, goal.  All I could see is how young we are.  It really looked like men vs. boys to end the game.  With aide of the power play.  That hurts. 

We are young.  That is why we lost .  

UPL was excellent.  Peterka had another game working like someone who wants his ice.  Quinn looked good.  Skinner danced with somebody.  We had more chances to score but it just didn’t happen.  

35 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That was a playoff-intensity game. What exactly was unwatchable?

The recent officiating, lazy reader.  Already addressed earlier.  The team came out tonight and played hard and tightened up defensively. I watched a complete effort tonight with a few missed chances and a tough deflection that I saw happen to Zhitnik 800 times in the 90’s. 
As someone else pointed out, I’ll gladly watch this game, loss and all with that effort vs. the Dallas game. I’ll also take this effort over the Islander game which was decided by a debatable call.  I was there.  They were indeed outplayed in that game. But there they were, in the final minute still trailing by that goal. And don’t tell me you’ve never seen a team win a game they don’t deserve to. 
Overall, I’m optimistic on the outlook of this team but there are some holes to fill and lessons to learn. I was hoping one of the lessons learned would be the grind of playoff hockey. I suppose the first lesson is to avoid committing ticky-tak penalties and fighting through defenders blatantly laying on top of two of your forwards,.. with the ref literally looking directly at it. 
When you get this far after this long, it’s tough to watch it kind of fall apart this way. Maybe I’m the fool. 

They deserved a better fate in this one but what can you do. Excellent effort all around, channeling the power of the goat head. 

Tuch's absence on the PP is really hurting us. I don't like the move of VO back to the point and Cozens into Tuch's spot. Cozens was much better in that point spot as he sees the ice better and passes better so the PP was more diverse and unpredictable. The big VO shot just isn't getting it done. He's nowhere near as good as Tuch, but imo I'd move Cozens back to that spot and let Greenway stay on the line for net front presence. 

Anyway, excellent game. Lots of good effort. It's the goat heads. It really is. 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

True.  But Cozens has the lead in the mustache.  I think I see something at times. 

Three great looking young players. 

1 minute ago, KC Scouts said:

Following that logic: I think if we wore the Classic Whites at home we would be unstoppable based upon history

It's not the logic. It's far from it. It's the mojo. The goat heads conjure up Peca and May and McKee and all those hard working tough teams that wore them. Historically the blue and gold have often been considered soft for their eras, but that was never said about the goat head teams and we just seem to step it up wearing them. It's illogical, but it's real. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 2

1 hour ago, Getpucksdeep said:

Agreed. Quinn was full of fire I thought for sure he was gonna pot one.  I also liked Jost and Krebs.

As mentioned above Rangers fans were obnoxious.  "let's go rangers" chants before "...by the dawn's early light.." and multiple interruptions during the anthems. First time this year that's happened.   Who are these people?  There had to be 5000 of them in the building and it's a long drive from NYC.  Hopefully they aren't back for the next game at the end of the month.  

There are still a lot of residual Rags fans in the Binghamton area from when the B-Rags played there. It's 3 hours drive, an early start game, and Buffalo is likely way easier to get a ticket than at MSG these days.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's not the logic. It's far from it. It's the mojo. The goat heads conjure up Peca and May and McKee and all those hard working tough teams that wore them. Historically the blue and gold have often been considered soft for their eras, but that was never said about the goat head teams and we just seem to step it up wearing them. It's illogical, but it's real. 

White goat heads at home would be the ultimate. I’ve never liked home darks. 

3 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

That’s a shame. Best defensive effort of the year. We have zero luck. But… bad teams find a way to lose. That’s the reality. 

Not luck, Sabres were in Position to go to playoffs. Trade day ended with Stillman and Greenway. Good players but those type of players are gotten in offseason to build team and grow together. Sabres needed Top 4 defensive man when hurt and to help Power. Needed a Scoring winger for Cozens. #1 Goaltender is always on the WISH LIST.

Adams is sticking to his plans. You can see the backlash of players looking at TEAM and saying WTF!

Learning how to LOSE in many different ways. Home RECORD is Abysmal!

Adams failed his Learning curve. Under estimated TUCH out. TEAM is NOT learning a thing.

Edited by TRIP65
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Players who wore the SWORDS! Call them SOFT

Lindy Ruff

Mike Foligno

Mike Ramsey

Bill Hajt

Tom Barrasso

Pierre Turgeon

Craig Ramsay

Dale Hawerchuk

Jim Schoenfeld

Rene Robert

Phil Housley

Danny Gare

Dave Andreychuk

Rick Martin

Gilbert Perreault

Take any of them over what came after them. Believe they could beat a TEAM of GOAT HEADS

• Awesome! (+1) 1

They played a great game and really did play well enough to win in regulation.

Thought all 18 skaters came to play today (even Mr. Hard Luck tonight Olofsson) and UPL had his best game in a while.

They actually backchecked hard and did a good job of limiting the Rags chances. Never can understand why they can only play that way in their own end once every 5 or so games (if that). Play like this 14 or so times out of these last 17 and they have a shot.

Hope Levi gets a game this week.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Next year. But we may be adding more rookies like Kulich and Rosen. There's going to be a learning curve there. Just keep taking forward steps. We'll get there.

Savoie has chance, and probably before these two.  He cannot play in the AHL, so if the Sabres feel his development in the WHL is maxed out they could carry him, providing he us at least as good as Kulich at camp and in preseason.  

I was out all day and only caught the first and third periods on my phone so I probably missed a lot. This is the kind of game I shrug off, am maybe even happy with, if the context was different and they had been winning of late. Today's Sabres team would win 50+ games if it was the baseline. 

And a lesson for Kevyn - when the Sabres play like the Rangers did today, they lose 5-1. Don't wait for Levi unless he pulls a Dryden this spring. Your team can win a lot of games if you find a guy that can steal some points on off nights, rather than rolling guys who sometimes give your points to the other team when you show up. PTR loves to talk about our team defense - the Rangers are going to the playoffs and fighting for home ice, and are probably good enough to win a cup with the typical bounces. Their goalie gave up 1 today, and got his team two points, despite that team in front of him allowing THIRTY scoring chances according to NST. UPL had a very good day, so I don't mean to rag on him, I want him here as our backup next year. It is fair to have extreme expectations at this point for a position that has been handled so poorly for years running. 

Faceoffs - nobody is asking for Cody Eakin, or any other questionable hockey player who can nevertheless win a draw. But we are second-last in faceoffs at 45.6%, and that faceoff rate PLUMMETS if it's at a crucial moment. I can't prove this, but I would put my life savings on it. We were second-worst last year as well. There is no reason to be that large of an outlier in ANY facet of NHL hockey for two years running. Something needs to be happening at, before, after practices, with the players and the coaches, to fix this, and it should have been happening all along. They don't matter until they do, and when they do, we get obliterated 

It is harder to watch meaningless March hockey now that we've gotten a taste of the real thing, unfortunately we might be there now 

54 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Not really true.

For the short era of  the black and reds Goat Heads they had some very tough teams, definitely a higher  percent of very tough teams.   But many of those players also played in Blue and Gold too.  The earlier two decades of Blue and Gold had plenty of guys that would have hammered the Goat Heads, and many more that could beat them at hockey. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

I was out all day and only caught the first and third periods on my phone so I probably missed a lot. This is the kind of game I shrug off, am maybe even happy with, if the context was different and they had been winning of late. Today's Sabres team would win 50+ games if it was the baseline. 

And a lesson for Kevyn - when the Sabres play like the Rangers did today, they lose 5-1. Don't wait for Levi unless he pulls a Dryden this spring. Your team can win a lot of games if you find a guy that can steal some points on off nights, rather than rolling guys who sometimes give your points to the other team when you show up. PTR loves to talk about our team defense - the Rangers are going to the playoffs and fighting for home ice, and are probably good enough to win a cup with the typical bounces. Their goalie gave up 1 today, and got his team two points, despite that team in front of him allowing THIRTY scoring chances according to NST. UPL had a very good day, so I don't mean to rag on him, I want him here as our backup next year. It is fair to have extreme expectations at this point for a position that has been handled so poorly for years running. 

Faceoffs - nobody is asking for Cody Eakin, or any other questionable hockey player who can nevertheless win a draw. But we are second-last in faceoffs at 45.6%, and that faceoff rate PLUMMETS if it's at a crucial moment. I can't prove this, but I would put my life savings on it. We were second-worst last year as well. There is no reason to be that large of an outlier in ANY facet of NHL hockey for two years running. Something needs to be happening at, before, after practices, with the players and the coaches, to fix this, and it should have been happening all along. They don't matter until they do, and when they do, we get obliterated 

It is harder to watch meaningless March hockey now that we've gotten a taste of the real thing, unfortunately we might be there now 

Actually there is.  The C's are a really tall lanky guy that hadn't taken faceoffs on a regular basis since college, a 22 yo, a 20 yo, and a journeyman.  When those 2nd 2 get older and stronger they'll get better.  When Thompson works on them more hopefully he'll be better, though with his length, he simply might never get good at them.

It is extremely rare for a young guy to be even adequate at FO's early in their career.

4 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

There were two faceoffs in OT.  We lost them both. We never had possession of the puck in OT.  We did touch the puck long enough to get a whistle when we were called for a penalty.  Other than that, we did not posses the puck.  

We also give up a ton of shots by cleanly losing faceoffs in our defensive zone.  Cutting that down has to help the overall GAA.  

Yes, faceoffs matter to good teams. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.