Sabres today and tomorrow... Interesting quote in TBN... But who said it?

PASabreFan

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Was there something else you were picking up here?

Sort of a doubling down and almost defiance. The mention of two years was oddly specific. Calling out other franchises ... Bold take. 

For once I tempered myself and waited. I briefly suspected that the person being quoted wasn't sweating the loss to the Isles, but that didn't make sense.

7 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Paywall for TBN so this is all I saw. I won't editorialize, but this is the money quote IMHO.

'"Imagine if we can grow as much in the next two years as we've just grown in these two years. I don't think we're going to sweat anything that didn't happen yesterday. There's no reason to. And I'm actually excited. Everybody is trying to make moves and spending, spending, spending to do it, spending their future, because our future, we feel, is pretty darn bright and …"

It was Granato

7 hours ago, tom webster said:

I believe in the sentiment as it pertains to the team. The future is indeed bright. However, I think Granato and Adams are both over selling just how much their competition gave away. Pittsburgh is dumpster fire, Washington is getting old but I’m not sure Boston, Tampa or Toronto are going anywhere soon. It’s going to be interesting and Buffalo should be right in the mix.

Intentionally overselling, ya 

37 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Sort of a doubling down and almost defiance. The mention of two years was oddly specific. Calling out other franchises ... Bold take. 

For once I tempered myself and waited. I briefly suspected that the person being quoted wasn't sweating the loss to the Isles, but that didn't make sense.

I thought about the two years thing too but I think that was just linguistically functional. “How much we’ve grown in 2 years under KA’s plan” was the context so it was an “imagine if it keeps going” thing more than a “check back in 2 years” thing, specifically. Imo

i still think there’s an internal goal of playoffs next season. Just because there are macro goals (perennial contender) doesn’t mean they can’t/don’t understand that progress can be measured in important sign posts along the way. It’s not miss-miss-miss-CUPS, at some point you need to make the playoffs as the next step. It’s KA’s 4th year as GM next year, 3rd under The Plan. Failure to make the playoffs in that sort of timeframe would be indicative of a plan....well, not going to plan 

Never mind the potential opportunity cost lost considering our very top guys are committing prime seasons to record, as we speak 

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

"Spending" was the key word, wasn't it?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

17 hours ago, Thorny said:

I thought about the two years thing too but I think that was just linguistically functional. “How much we’ve grown in 2 years under KA’s plan” was the context so it was an “imagine if it keeps going” thing more than a “check back in 2 years” thing, specifically. Imo

i still think there’s an internal goal of playoffs next season. Just because there are macro goals (perennial contender) doesn’t mean they can’t/don’t understand that progress can be measured in important sign posts along the way. It’s not miss-miss-miss-CUPS, at some point you need to make the playoffs as the next step. It’s KA’s 4th year as GM next year, 3rd under The Plan. Failure to make the playoffs in that sort of timeframe would be indicative of a plan....well, not going to plan 

Never mind the potential opportunity cost lost considering our very top guys are committing prime seasons to record, as we speak 

Personally expect you are underselling that.  Honestly believe winning everything is the goal next year.  Though truly doubt they will publicly say that.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Personally expect you are underselling that.  Honestly believe winning everything is the goal next year.  Though truly doubt they will publicly say that.

Not sure I’d be convinced the expectations should be set quite that high but, all the better.

Personally, avoidance of “development year” lingo and a focus on playoffs, in sincerity, with that being the stated/intimated goal, would be enough for me. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

For what it's worth Jeff Marek is still about as high as it gets on the Sabres train.  Surprising for a guy that's got his balls stapled to the SN flagship station in The Great Satan.  Just about every show he is in love with the Sabres and what coachie ad gmie are doing here.  He is even on the 'Tage would be the Hart guy if it wasn't for that other guy' and the 'Dahlin would be the Norris if not for that last really good kick at it by that other guy' bandwagons.  I like Jeff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

For what it's worth Jeff Marek is still about as high as it gets on the Sabres train.  Surprising for a guy that's got his balls stapled to the SN flagship station in The Great Satan.  Just about every show he is in love with the Sabres and what coachie ad gmie are doing here.  He is even on the 'Tage would be the Hart guy if it wasn't for that other guy' and the 'Dahlin would be the Norris if not for that last really good kick at it by that other guy' bandwagons.  I like Jeff.

Like him too, watch his show a lot. He’s right about Dahlin but not Tage (unless things changed and we got into a playoff spot). Hart never goes to a non playoff team even if McDavid wasn’t playing 

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Like him too, watch his show a lot. He’s right about Dahlin but not Tage (unless things changed and we got into a playoff spot). Hart never goes to a non playoff team even if McDavid wasn’t playing 

Well not in the last 30+ years it hasn't.

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Well not in the last 30+ years it hasn't.

And I’m 36 so I think my statement is fair 🤪

Man typing out your age on a hockey message board makes you feel WAY older wow haha. Just seeing it in the same font where “36” represents “old ass player” is a trip 

9 hours ago, Thorny said:

Man typing out your age on a hockey message board makes you feel WAY older wow haha. Just seeing it in the same font where “36” represents “old ass player” is a trip 

I feel like Craig Anderson is a young guy.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, Thorny said:

Just wait until the players being drafted are the same age as your kids 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/9/2023 at 4:19 PM, PerreaultForever said:

Well you draft yourself a solid core of young stars but then you need to build a team around them to win. We still need a number of players that aren't in the pipeline. 

Is this Boston's last shot? Will Boston fall? maybe. Probably. But not necessarily. They are set in goal. They are set on D. Both areas much better than the Sabres. Zacha will likely shift into Krejci's spot and Hall will be the other winger to make that line reasonably good still. The bottom of the roster will be easily filled by guys they already have like Lauko and Greer. Hathaway will likely stay. Only hole would be Bergeron's spot and you don't easily fill a hole like that but who knows. ROR will be a FA. Imagine that? It's not impossible for them to find a way to stay almost as good as they are now for several more years before they actually fall due to an empty pipeline. 

Boston will rebuild after Bergeron and Krecji.  They will still have goaltending and Defense.  They will acquire free agents that take a discount to be there, make shrewd trades for additional picks, and find more Bruin-type players in the draft. 

They always do. 

• Agree 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.