Official Sabres Acquire Ben Bishop and a 2022 7th Rounder for Future Considerations

Brawndo

I don't want to be too pessimistic, but I'm not certain that the Sabres will be in the market for any mid-higher-priced UFA's like Campbell or Subban, let alone Fleury.  The Bishop trade could be Adams getting the jump on a low dollar-high cap contract of an injured player because he knows he is going to need at least two of them.

If we assume the following:

- that Quinn, Peterka, Fitzgerald and Luukkonen are all on the 23 man roster to start the year; and

- that Olofsson and Bryson are back on reasonable contracts (under $6.5 million combined); and

- that Bjork is not being waived (I know people want this, but there is no real reason to think it will happen)

then that only leaves 3 roster spots: one goalie and two skaters.  Those positions could be filled, for example, by Campbell, Subban and Trocheck for a total of $16 million.  That would put us well above the cap floor.  But those positions could also be filled by Anderson, Pysyk and Hinostroza, who, with modest raises, would still come in well under $4 million. Adams plan is likely something between those two extremes, but if it ends up being the latter, we will need another Boychuk/Bishop-like contract to get to the floor.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

They are still $14 million below the floor.

They still need to spend ~ $10 million on a goalie and a right D to get to the floor and stay there.

They still need to sign Olofsson and Bryson. That will get them close enough to the floor to cheap out on a goalie and right-handed defenseman. Again I hope I'm wrong and you can throw it in my face if I am. I'll actually enjoy it because that will mean the team might actually be good.

11 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

They still need to sign Olofsson and Bryson. That will get them close enough to the floor to cheap out on a goalie and right-handed defenseman. Again I hope I'm wrong and you can throw it in my face if I am. I'll actually enjoy it because that will mean the team might actually be good.

Yes it's worked out so good the last 6 years 

11 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Hell yes its been 10 years of rebuilding and no playoffs for 11 years .

Yes lets give them more time 

Again, they've spent to the cap I  something like 9 of those 11 years and gone no where. Spending to the cap especially for this team is short sighted. Spending to the cap doesn't mean we're making the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, Buffalonill said:

Yes it's worked out so good the last 6 years 

Haven't even done this yet and you're acting like it's September and Anderson and Dell are being brought back to start. 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Again, they've spent to the cap I  something like 9 of those 11 years and gone no where. Spending to the cap especially for this team is short sighted. Spending to the cap doesn't mean we're making the playoffs. 

I have to disagree they Spent it on the wrong players.

You can build a team and sign UFA players that fit what you're building and make a run .

Sign  Zadorov, copp,nichushkin , Husso..

Playoffs  Guaranteed

You can build a team and sign UFA players that fit what you're building and make a run .

Playoffs  Guaranteed

No interest in zadorov but I hope they make a run at Copp and Husso or Campbell. 

Not free agency yet

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Haven't even done this yet and you're acting like it's September and Anderson and Dell are being brought back to start. 

This is groundhog Day tradition.

Yet it happens every year and still suck.

( " It's not even September yet give them a chance ") 

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No interest in zadorov but I hope they make a run at Copp and Husso or Campbell. 

Not free agency yet

And if we do nothing  And continue the same recycling bs with UFA and trades will you wave the white flag? 

Adams literally is not legally allowed to sign the players you want. I mean, you like a lot of ppl on this forum, just want to bitch and moan.

• Haha (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I remember in Adams first offseason how he pissed money away on hall but spent to the cap and we were going to make the playoffs... how'd that go?

2 minutes ago, postseasonblues said:

So you're saying that a 7th rounder is worth more than nothing,  seems somewhat debatable. 

Victor. Olofsson. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

And if we do nothing  And continue the same recycling bs with UFA and trades will you wave the white flag? 

How don't you understand? They aren't going to add a bunch of ufas. They aren't building by trying to overpay ufas, they aren't doing what they did for 10 years. 

14 hours ago, Thwomp! said:

Next year is going to look hopefully marginally better than this year. But it's going to be another year of only half assed competing, imo.

Also, how does this penny pinching BS look to the guys we want to sign? Particularly Johnson and Portillo. Good thing Levi is young, or he'd be thinking about options too.

Do you read your own posts? 

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Playoffs  Guaranteed

Zadorov ain't coming back to Buffalo. NFW. 

And all of a sudden, the Sabres acquired the best goalie on their roster. He's 53 and injured....but still the best goalie in the organization. 🙆

2 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Yeah, I’m figuring 6-ish for those 2.

Which means they still have to spend about $8 million. There’s only so cheap they can go.

I think this discussion basically boils down to whether Adams’ goal to ice as cheap a roster as possible, or to provide insurance to reach the floor if he isn’t able to acquire the players he wants.

Like you say, we’re both hoping for the same thing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Sabres paying 700k of Bishop’s Salary 

Love it when anyone comments about how important it is to get to the cap floor.  It’s very very easy for a team to hit the floor.  You sign some dudes.  This trade is a whatever but in no way did the Sabres have to make this move.  To even suggest it has an importance to the Sabres in anyway to get to the cap floor is comical. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Love it when anyone comments about how important it is to get to the cap floor.  It’s very very easy for a team to hit the floor.  You sign some dudes.  This trade is a whatever but in no way did the Sabres have to make this move.  To even suggest it has an importance to the Sabres in anyway to get to the cap floor is comical. 

It's all about that 7th rounder giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952a7c12363dc2e8213f

13 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Again, the optimism is awesome and I hope you come away right about all this, but you're operating under the assumption they're willing to spend money this offseason.

I'm operating under the assumption they're going on the cheap again this year and this move was the first to get to the floor and stay there.

Meanwhile, with average or better NHL goaltending and a solid RHD pickup, I feel like they'll be playing for a playoff spot (now how's that for optimism!).

I'm not optimistic per se; I'm simply stating that this deal has ZERO effect and will not preclude Kevyn from making other deals.  No effect.  Decoupled.  Totally separate.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.