Official Sabres Acquire Ben Bishop and a 2022 7th Rounder for Future Considerations

Brawndo

19 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So we're taking on $4.9MM in cap space for 1 year.  I doubt we get more than a 4th-round pick for that, and perhaps less.

Doesn't really inspire much excitement.

Unless, of course, you post it on Sabrespace on a slow day.

5 minutes ago, elijah said:

1 year remaining on the contract and still eligible for LTIR if I’m reading correctly

Sounds like we won’t be getting much more than maybe a 6th round pick with him if that 🤦‍♂️ 

I hate it here

I understand the ‘maintaining flexibility’ mantra, but why can’t we just sign short term high money FA’s that contribute and actually improve a desolate team? Short term maintains flexibility no? 

Or why not take on more serious cap dumps where the extra assets are atleast a 3rd round pick? 

Personally I’ve been very pleased with GMKA this far, but if we play a second season in a row at the cap floor without utilizing the cap, whether through cap dumps or short term FA, I’m going to be very soured on him. Hell, even if we’re a 50 win, 110 point team next year, there’s still no excuse for leaving $20M of cap on the table without adding any assets wth it. 

Because those players don't want to come here. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

So we're going for the tank .

Cool beans 😕

No... we're going for the slow build through development.  Over the long haul it may be the better way to build but I know it feels like we've waited long enough.

12 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

If one were being pessimistic, though, one might divine a plan to spend another year at or close to the cap floor and stay far away from spending any money to bring in any real reinforcements.

I think that's exactly what it indicates.  I just hope he brings in a real goalie; if so the Sabres might have a fighting chance to at least be relevant.

3 minutes ago, elijah said:

1 year remaining on the contract and still eligible for LTIR if I’m reading correctly

Sounds like we won’t be getting much more than maybe a 6th round pick with him if that 🤦‍♂️ 

I hate it here

I understand the ‘maintaining flexibility’ mantra, but why can’t we just sign short term high money FA’s that contribute and actually improve a desolate team? Short term maintains flexibility no? 

Or why not take on more serious cap dumps where the extra assets are atleast a 3rd round pick? 

Personally I’ve been very pleased with GMKA this far, but if we play a second season in a row at the cap floor without utilizing the cap, whether through cap dumps or short term FA, I’m going to be very soured on him. Hell, even if we’re a 50 win, 110 point team next year, there’s still no excuse for leaving $20M of cap on the table without adding any assets wth it. 

Don't get hung up on the cap number. It has little significance. If the GM ends up bringing in a credible goalie/s and he adds another 2nd to 3rd pairing caliber defenseman to the roster, that is what should be the basis of judging the GM. The Sabres don't need a lot of additions. They need a few judicious additions that will better balance this developing roster. That's what I will be watching for. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The Sabres are $40 million below the floor. Plenty of room still to sign whomever they choose.  Subtle reminder, NHL free agency sucks.  Over paying for players exiting their prime to long term big money deals rarely works out.  I’m not sure entirely confident Kevyn is going to do what we all deem as necessary (goalie, RHD, grit players) but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt until he fails to properly address these things for a second off season.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Because those players don't want to come here. 

You’ve got $35M-$40M in cap space, I’m sure overbidding the market by $2M would sway a player or two this way. 

Again I understand we want the cap flexibility for when the core contracts and ELC’s expire in 2-3 years, but with the sheer amount of money there is to be thrown around I don’t understand the opposition to essentially ‘buying’ a year or two from contributing players by overpaying

EDIT: This is of course all preliminary talk seeing as there’s still a long offseason for more cap dumps with good returns, along with the possibility the return on this is better than expecting. As well as possibly actually adding players at those positions of need and/or the short term moves I’m talking of, but the point is that this solo move doesn’t instill any confidence in me that any of the above is going to happen

Edited by elijah
  • Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, elijah said:

I hate it here

How many good UFAs sign for big money but only 1-2 years of term?  I know this happened with Taylor Hall one time, but I think it’s very rare overall.

How much the Sabres are willing to spend on player salary probably is not KA’s decision.

Edited by Curt

33 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

If I'm not mistaken, his salary + bonus only amounts to $3.5 million for next season, BUT his cap hit is $4.9 million (each yr for 6 years).  If we trade for that contract, are we taking on $3.5 million or $4.9 million?

As others have stated, it's $3.5MM of the owner's cash (& wonder if there's an insurance policy that the beneficiary can change from Dallas to Buffalo so that it's likely 1/4 of that out of pocket) for $4.9MM of cap.  Bringing them to ballpark $15MM below the floor rather than around $20MM below the floor.

As he is almost definitely LTIR bound when appropriate, he'd only effect their ability reach the cap by however many $'s they are shy of the cap when they  designate him to LTIR (should it even become necessary).  So, he'll likely knock only a few $k off the max cap should they miraculously get offered McDavid for Krebs or some other fantastic s entries that sees them pushing the upper bounds of the cap occur).

It's only the owners' money that's an issue here & if they really want to win (& IMHO they do want to do so) then it's chicken feed relative to their personal wealth.  (Have no compunction w/ them spending their money. 😉 )

It's only for this one season & now $4.9MM of wasted cap will become an asset which still holds value beyond next season.

Absolutely hope some of that cap space goes towards 1-2 ACTUAL goalies, not just theoretical ones & a couple of other upgrades, but there was no realistic way that they were going to be w/in $10MM of the maximum cap w/out moves like this.

It's not a homerun, but it's at least a single unless it is literally a "for future considerations" move.

Unless you thought that the Sabres were going to spend near to the cap, there isn’t any reason to be upset by this move.  They are presumably getting something in exchange for taking on some salary.  There will still be cap space remaining to acquire players if the right moves are available.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, elijah said:

You’ve got $35M-$40M in cap space, I’m sure overbidding the market by $2M would sway a player or two this way. 

Again I understand we want the cap flexibility for when the core contracts and ELC’s expire in 2-3 years, but with the sheer amount of money there is to be thrown around I don’t understand the opposition to essentially ‘buying’ a year or two from contributing players by overpaying

EDIT: This is of course all preliminary talk seeing as there’s still a long offseason for more cap dumps with good returns, along with the possibility the return on this is better than expecting. As well as possibly actually adding players at those positions of need and/or the short term moves I’m talking of, but the point is that this solo move doesn’t instill any confidence in me that any of the above is going to happen

Players of value that are ufas aren't going to come to Buffalo for 1 or 2 year deals even for an extra 2 mill. They'll go to contenders or sign long term deals with teams they think will compete. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, French Collection said:

Could he be flipped to a cap strapped team for LTIR relief once the season starts?

I am not worried yet, there is still a lot of cap space left. They could still take on Price, Bobrovsky and Pietrangelo.

Maybe this is part of a bigger deal?

Adding a player and putting him on LTIR does not help cap-strapped teams. They would be adding his 4.9 mil cap, then getting 4.9 in relief which would result in no change. The only time putting a player on LTIR helps you with cap space is if they are already on your team, then are put on, freeing up their cap space. Additionally, when you are using LTIR cap relief, excess cap space does not accrue for later in the season.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Adding a player and putting him on LTIR does not help cap-strapped teams. They would be adding his 4.9 mil cap, then getting 4.9 in relief which would result in no change. The only time putting a player on LTIR helps you with cap space is if they are already on your team, then are put on, freeing up their cap space. Additionally, when you are using LTIR cap relief, excess cap space does not accrue for later in the season.

Well stated.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

He’s not able to play, this is a move to reach the cap floor 

I sure hope it’s more than a Boychuk move.

The Sabres should be compensated for creating space (and I believe) saving actual money for the Stars, no? Sure Bishop is on LTIR, but that only works in season. This allows them to use that space on roster cutdown day.

Or is there a nuance I’m missing here?

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I sure hope it’s more than a Boychuk move.

The Sabres should be compensated for creating space (and I believe) saving actual money for the Stars, no? Sure Bishop is on LTIR, but that only works in season. This allows them to use that space on roster cutdown day.

Or is there a nuance I’m missing here?

The return will probably be between a 5-7 Round Pick with Dallas getting Future Considerations 

• Like (+1) 1

• Brawndo changed the title to Official Sabres Acquire Ben Bishop and a 2022 7th Rounder for Future Considerations
5 minutes ago, shrader said:

Why include the incredibly awkward treadmill video?  Lame attempt at bragging?

I think Weekes is trying to make his "thing" be that he does his videos from odd locations. Dunno why a typed tweet doesn't do the same job tbh.

• Like (+1) 2

So we receive a chance to pick another player for eating a contract. I just hope he actually is invited to work with Buffalo

Just now, steveoath said:

I think Weekes is trying to make his "thing" be that he does his videos from odd locations. Dunno why a typed tweet doesn't do the same job tbh.

It’s his shtick, it’s rather entertaining the odd places he ends up

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.