Playoff GDT 5/6/22 - Rochester @ Belleville 7:00 AHLV

inkman

On 5/7/2022 at 9:02 AM, Amerks8796 said:

It’s my favorite arena to watch hockey in. Small place, where the seats are steep and right on top of the ice. You won’t find better sight lines anywhere. 

My daughter's had a gymnastics meet there years ago. Only time I've ever been there, but it was a real nice arena. Far better than the Blue Cross Arena.

14 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

My daughter's had a gymnastics meet there years ago. Only time I've ever been there, but it was a real nice arena. Far better than the Blue Cross Arena.

It has better sight lines, but I still prefer the War Memorial overall for pretty much everything else. 

14 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

7 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

It has better sight lines, but I still prefer the War Memorial overall for pretty much everything else. 

I am 100% certain I carry a bias but I have zero qualms about the BCA. It performs its function.  Food could use some improvement but if I need something there is enough there to do the trick. I usually get something before or after. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

I am 100% certain I carry a bias but I have zero qualms about the BCA. It performs its function.  Food could use some improvement but if I need something there is enough there to do the trick. I usually get something before or after. 

The War Memorial always seems to get hate, but I think it’s still a great arena. Delaware North does a terrible job, but that’s another story. 

My biggest issue is that the arena is just too big. The seats at the end just go on forever and no one ever sits there. It’s probably not structurally feasible, but if they could rip out the top have of those sections, and put some sort of bar/standing room area, that would really be great. 

6 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

The War Memorial always seems to get hate, but I think it’s still a great arena. Delaware North does a terrible job, but that’s another story. 

My biggest issue is that the arena is just too big. The seats at the end just go on forever and no one ever sits there. It’s probably not structurally feasible, but if they could rip out the top have of those sections, and put some sort of bar/standing room area, that would really be great. 

Sunday, most of those seats will be filled. Just saying…

56 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

JMPO, but when they so called "upgraded" and expanded the BCA, it was okay because they still got big crowds, for hockey and Lacross. But the expansion was in both ends of the rink. If you sit up top in the north end of the rink, you can't see the scoreboard. I do kinda like the south end seats where the stage used to be. You're right on top, but still can't see everything. That whole place needs to be razed and a new, more modern barn put in place with maybe 6,000 - 8,000 seats max. Something like the Verizon Center in Manchester, NH. My daughter's graduation was there and it was an amazing arena. Two tiers, with a party deck on the upper tier behind the one goal. 

8 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

JMPO, but when they so called "upgraded" and expanded the BCA, it was okay because they still got big crowds, for hockey and Lacross. But the expansion was in both ends of the rink. If you sit up top in the north end of the rink, you can't see the scoreboard. I do kinda like the south end seats where the stage used to be. You're right on top, but still can't see everything. That whole place needs to be razed and a new, more modern barn put in place with maybe 6,000 - 8,000 seats max. Something like the Verizon Center in Manchester, NH. My daughter's graduation was there and it was an amazing arena. Two tiers, with a party deck on the upper tier behind the one goal. 

I’ve been to that arena. It’s “nice” but sterile. I agree with you about the seats on the end. In general, I like the older arenas because I think they have more character. 

Edited by Amerks8796
  • Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I'll always love the old "Rochester War Memorial" because that's what I grew up with. But come on, ***** needs to change once in awhile. That place is a dump. Someone, maybe @inkmancan find me a seat without stains on it. Lol

The seats need replacing. But the Pegulas can’t be bothered. Sometimes I wonder if they even remember they own the Amerks. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Doesn’t the city own the building? I have to imagine it would be their obligation.  

I believe so, yes. But the city doesn’t exactly have money lying around for improvements. The Pegulas operate the arena. I believe the setup is similar with KBC, but it’s Erie county. People generally look to the Pegulas for improvements, not the county. 

9 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

The seats need replacing. But the Pegulas can’t be bothered. Sometimes I wonder if they even remember they own the Amerks. 

This isn’t entirely fair. The Pegulas, not the City of Rochester, replaced the jumbo and the sound system. During the pandemic they refurbished the bathrooms and added the extra dining area on the concourse.

As for the seats, the fans are the ones who have trashed the seats. I wouldn’t replace them either after watching them out their feet on the empty seat in front of them. The seats aren’t broken or unsafe. My two seats are just fine.

There’s a lot more to the BCA and it’s operation that most people realize, and why would they? The terms of management are constantly evolving. The city doesn’t want to put any money into anything other than the actual Memorial downstairs.

Also little known to most Rochesterians, and it take a North Country boy to educate them, the Memorial, and the BCA, are built on an old bomb shelter. 
The underworks are still there in some capacity.

It’s somewhat ironic that an outsider from the place that the Underground Railroad arrived at (literally at the church my granny went to) has had the honor to build and see the most historic parts of Rochester. I am also honored to provide the services that I do for the folks here.

We have a crew fixing the old railroad bridge over the river by High Falls. Part of Roc the River.

I wish I could take you all on a tour. Once  the Roc the River project is done you really need to get out and see it.

Edited by Ogre
Comma snuck in there
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Ogre said:

This isn’t entirely fair. The Pegulas, not the City of Rochester, replaced the jumbo and the sound system. During the pandemic they refurbished the bathrooms and added the extra dining area on the concourse.

As for the seats, the fans are the ones who have trashed the seats. I wouldn’t replace them either after watching them out their feet on the empty seat in front of them. The seats aren’t broken or unsafe. My two seats are just fine.

There’s a lot more to the BCA and it’s operation that most people realize, and why would they? The terms of management are constantly evolving. The city doesn’t want to put any money into anything other than the actual Memorial downstairs.

Also little known to most Rochesterians, and it take a North Country boy to educate them, the Memorial, and the BCA, are built on an old bomb shelter. 

It’s somewhat ironic that an outsider from the place that the Underground Railroad arrived at (literally at the church my granny went to) has had the honor to build and see the most historic parts of Rochester. I am also honored to provide the services that I do for the folks here.

We have a crew fixing the old railroad bridge over the river by High Falls. Part of Roc the River.

I wish I could take you all on a tour. Once  the Roc the River project is done you really need to get out and see it.

Slightly different subject.  Have never been under Broad St, but have seen photos.  Need to check that out sometime.  Know several people who have proposed repurposing that space.  Some cool ideas & some just plain wacked out.

10 minutes ago, Ogre said:

I didn’t complain about the seats. I really don’t have a huge issue with them. The Pegulas paid for the new scoreboard. To my knowledge, state funding paid for the concession expansion and bathroom renovations. 

But realistically, if one wants new seats, it’ll come much sooner if the Pegulas do it. Otherwise who knows when more state money will fund it. 

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Slightly different subject.  Have never been under Broad St, but have seen photos.  Need to check that out sometime.  Know several people who have proposed repurposing that space.  Some cool ideas & some just plain wacked out.

I have. It’s like being in a toilet bowl that’s never been flushed.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Otherwise who knows when more state money will fund it

I don’t think that state money should be involved. I’ve been in the camp that says sell for Tbucks and cash in on tax revenues. The BCA is too mono-cultural for the city to spend the money. 
Pegulas do manage so they do bare the burden of diversification I suppose. It’s a shame, the city should be more involved.

20 minutes ago, Taro T said:

I was also in the old subway tunnel by BC building on South/Broad before they filled it in. The same scene.

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.