Portillo thinks the Sabres offer a great opportunity

dudacek

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Or at least that’s what he told Kevyn Adams.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/sabres-adams-still-waiting-on-decision-from-ryan-johnson

Has insight on both Portillo and Johnson.situations.

Yeah, and Ullmark said he would sign, too.  I hope Portillo comes through but won't beliee it until the ink is dry on his ELC.

• Like (+1) 2

Interesting.   Portillo has been discussed a lot. He is just a wait and see at this point.  The connection to Dahlin and Power has to help.  The improving Sabres team has to help too.   If he walks away he just might regret it.  

Johnson is still pondering his next step.  He would most likely start his career in Rochester.  Is Rochester better development than NCAA Hockey?  Yes, I think so.  It sure didn’t hurt Samuelsson to start there.  That is the way to go if he is willing to join the team now.   Not sure what else would keep him in college - the degree of course but he can still get that. 

• Like (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Interesting.   Portillo has been discussed a lot. He is just a wait and see at this point.  The connection to Dahlin and Power has to help.  The improving Sabres team has to help too.   If he walks away he just might regret it.  

Johnson is still pondering his next step.  He would most likely start his career in Rochester.  Is Rochester better development than NCAA Hockey?  Yes, I think so.  It sure didn’t hurt Samuelsson to start there.  That is the way to go if he is willing to join the team now.   Not sure what else would keep him in college - the degree of course but he can still get that. 

What about having one more chance at a National Championship?

40 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Or at least that’s what he told Kevyn Adams.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/sabres-adams-still-waiting-on-decision-from-ryan-johnson

Has insight on both Portillo and Johnson.situations.

Basically echoing what he'd said at the Insights Q&A a week earlier.

Pretty certain several fans will see a naivete in Adams' views on the 3 college guys, but personally believe that Adams is doing his part to have honest conversations w/ them and that players will appreciate that.  And really believe (hope?) that Portillo's ties to Power & Dahlin will be the final chit in the plus column to get him in the fold next April.

More worried about Johnson.  But if either he or Power can play the right side, it has to be intriguing for him to possibly be a part of a Blackhawks or Nashville D core that could stick together 5-10 seasons.

And if Johnson has the character that Adams believes he has, he'll want to be part of that and embrace the challenge of finding playing time amongst the other lefties.  Also get the impression that if he said he didn't want to be here that Adams will trade him for a deal that works for both Ryan & the Sabres.

36 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Basically echoing what he'd said at the Insights Q&A a week earlier.

Pretty certain several fans will see a naivete in Adams' views on the 3 college guys, but personally believe that Adams is doing his part to have honest conversations w/ them and that players will appreciate that.  And really believe (hope?) that Portillo's ties to Power & Dahlin will be the final chit in the plus column to get him in the fold next April.

More worried about Johnson.  But if either he or Power can play the right side, it has to be intriguing for him to possibly be a part of a Blackhawks or Nashville D core that could stick together 5-10 seasons.

And if Johnson has the character that Adams believes he has, he'll want to be part of that and embrace the challenge of finding playing time amongst the other lefties.  Also get the impression that if he said he didn't want to be here that Adams will trade him for a deal that works for both Ryan & the Sabres.

The most logical place for Johnson remains the Kings

Just now, LGR4GM said:

The most logical place for Johnson remains the Sabres: the team that picked him, nurtured him, treated him first-class and offers him an opportunity to be part of an exciting young group on the rise in a community where hockey actually matters.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

The most logical place for Johnson remains the Sabres: the team that picked him, nurtured him, treated him first-class and offers him an opportunity to be part of an exciting young group on the rise in a community where hockey actually matters.

Not really no. The most logical thing is to trade Johnson to LA.

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Only if he would prefer "lifestyle" to being in a hockey market/environment.

He chose to play in Sioux Falls & the Twin Cities.  Both of which are about as non-Irvine/ Los Angeles CA as you can get and are very much hockey markets.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I think the point is that people make deductions based on assumptions about what individuals might value.

I'm making deductions based on LA having a lot of going rhd and Brock Faber being Johnson's defensive partner already

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm making deductions based on LA having a lot of going rhd and Brock Faber being Johnson's defensive partner already

Popular perception around here is that Johnson should see Power Dahlin and Samuelsson as blocking his way to an NHL job.

Maybe he sees them 3/4s of a perfect top 4 where he slides in as the missing piece?

Maybe as Taro says he's fallen in love with playing college hockey in a place where hockey is valued.

Maybe as Archie says he'd rather not make his way under Dad's shadow?

I'm not questioning your factors, just pointing out that they paint a very narrow picture. There are a lot of things we do not know.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

I listened to the KA interview yesterday.  Good stuff, and I'll note that he touched on a bunch of topics in addition to Portillo and Johnson.

As for those 2, my takeaway is:

- Neither of them has told the Sabres that he isn't interested in joining the Sabres.

- Neither of them has committed to signing with the Sabres either though.

- KA wants them in the organization and knows he will have to sell them on joining because they have UFA as an option.

- KA is being smart about selling them on the Sabres by staying in touch with them, being positive and supportive, not pressuring them and having current Sabres like Dahlin and Power (and maybe someone else -- I don't recall whom) contact them.  (KA mentioned that Dahlin's and Portillo's families know each other from youth hockey in Sweden.)

- Johnson and Portillo, for their part, are being respectful as well but are also keeping their options open and will no doubt be following the Sabres next season to see whether the team continues to improve and the organization continues to climb towards respectability.

Overall, the interview made me a bit more optimistic about the Sabres' chances of signing them, although I think I'd still be surprised if they sign both of them.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Pretty certain that the Sabres organization is consciously shifting to a practice of publicly respecting their players and prospects in the aftermath of the Eichel injury and trade situation to try to redeem their reputation.  He will put forward the party line that each of these three prospects are anticipated and highly valued prospects of the Sabres.  If a deal is eventually done, it will likely be spun as doing what was in the best interest of both the team and the prospect.

But it's virtually impossible to know what Adams has actually said to each prospect, what that prospect has told him, and what the plan is for either bringing them to the team or trading their rights to another team.

What cannot happen is Adams making decisions about the Sabres based on “will that upset Portillo or Johnson” if we bring in a starting goalie or sign a UFA dman upgrade.

Worry about improving the Sabres. If those two want to sign great, if not then ship them somewhere but don’t make decisions hinging on their feelings.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

- Johnson and Portillo, for their part, are being respectful as well but are also keeping their options open and will no doubt be following the Sabres next season to see whether the team continues to improve and the organization continues to climb towards respectability.

I think for Portillo and Levi in particular, how Adams deals with the goalie position this offseason will be a strong influence on whether one or both sign with the Sabres.  I think there is a fine line leaving a clear path for one or both to get to the NHL (i.e., not blocking them), and neglecting perhaps the biggest position of need on the team right now.  If he gets it wrong he could set the team back *and* lose both goalie prospects.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Pretty certain that the Sabres organization is consciously shifting to a practice of publicly respecting their players and prospects in the aftermath of the Eichel injury and trade situation to try to redeem their reputation.  He will put forward the party line that each of these three prospects are anticipated and highly valued prospects of the Sabres.  If a deal is eventually done, it will likely be spun as doing what was in the best interest of both the team and the prospect.

But it's virtually impossible to know what Adams has actually said to each prospect, what that prospect has told him, and what the plan is for either bringing them to the team or trading their rights to another team.

So, are you saying Adams isn't having honest conversations w/ these guys, that he doesn't value them, isn't having honest conversations w/ the public, or something other?

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, are you saying Adams isn't having honest conversations w/ these guys, that he doesn't value them, isn't having honest conversations w/ the public, or something other?

I'm saying that he is having honest conversations with his prospects and isn't revealing everything to the public.  Those conversations may include gauging the prospects' desire to sign with the Sabres versus another team and he may even now be working on trading one or more of them, but until a deal is done, they are valued prospects of the Buffalo Sabres.  What I *don't* want to see happen is these players getting away with nothing in return.

Edited by Doohickie

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think for Portillo and Levi in particular, how Adams deals with the goalie position this offseason will be a strong influence on whether one or both sign with the Sabres.  I think there is a fine line leaving a clear path for one or both to get to the NHL (i.e., not blocking them), and neglecting perhaps the biggest position of need on the team right now.  If he gets it wrong he could set the team back *and* lose both goalie prospects.

I think you're right that if KA brings in a star goalie on, say, a 5-year deal, that would affect Levi's and Portillo's willingness to sign -- but I think it's pretty unlikely that KA would do so.  A 3-year deal for a non-star goalie, which I think is much more likely, shouldn't affect their decisions.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, nfreeman said:

I think you're right that if KA brings in a star goalie on, say, a 5-year deal, that would affect Levi's and Portillo's willingness to sign -- but I think it's pretty unlikely that KA would do so.  A 3-year deal for a non-star goalie, which I think is much more likely, shouldn't affect their decisions.

Right.  We want him to solve the problem but not solve it too well or for too long.

9 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm saying that he is having honest conversations with his prospects and isn't revealing everything to the public.  Those conversations may include gauging the prospects' desire to sign with the Sabres versus another team and he may even now be working on trading one or more of them, but until a deal is done, they are valued prospects of the Buffalo Sabres.  What I *don't* want to see happen is these players getting away with nothing in return.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

Agree that the conversations with the prospects are going that way.

But disagree about the public statements.  He positively GUSHES about both college goalies (and UPL to an extent as well) and how bright the future looks for the goaltending.  For someone to so publicly state honestly is a core value of his (my use of the word core value, not his) and then flat out lie to the fans would destroy all his credibility IMHO.

So, when he says he expects Portillo wants to be a Sabre, at this point this kid will believe him.  Does that mean he absolutely will sign next year, no, but that doesn't mean Portillo nor Adams are lying now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.