Portillo thinks the Sabres offer a great opportunity

dudacek

Just now, MBD said:

I don't know Portillo's true motivations for returning to school, but since he decided not to come out this year, and Levi will likely sign next year, it will be up to the Sabres to decide who plays in Rochester and who plays in Cincy for the 2023-2024 season.  By all appearances, Levi is the golden child so he likely gets Rochester.  Why would Portillo sign with the Sabres if he can be an UFA a few months later?  I've heard the "burn a year of his ELC" argument, but if it's a matter of being stuck behind another prospect for a year anyway, someone you may not unseat, is that really much of a motivating factor, especially when you can sign with someone more of your liking?

He went back to get his business degree. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, MBD said:

I don't know Portillo's true motivations for returning to school, but since he decided not to come out this year, and Levi will likely sign next year, it will be up to the Sabres to decide who plays in Rochester and who plays in Cincy for the 2023-2024 season.  By all appearances, Levi is the golden child so he likely gets Rochester.  Why would Portillo sign with the Sabres if he can be an UFA a few months later?  I've heard the "burn a year of his ELC" argument, but if it's a matter of being stuck behind another prospect for a year anyway, someone you may not unseat, is that really much of a motivating factor, especially when you can sign with someone more of your liking?

You're forgetting 1 other option (Besides splitting time in Ra-cha-cha which is what this kid actually expects would happen) should Buffalo have both Levi & Portillo scheduled to be in the minors.  That is, 1 of them could follow in Binnington's footsteps & get loaned to a different AHL team.  (For a Ra-cha-cha example, use Kolzig.)  Pretty sure that worked out for him and St. Louis.

If Portillo won't sign because he doesn't believe in himself enough to expect to beat out Levi & UPL, then get whatever you can for him & dump him ASAP.  Pretty sure it won't be an issue.  He's an elite athlete; he has to believe he can beat them out.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MBD said:

I would expect the pair of them to share the crease in Rochester and may the best man win.

That is if one of them (Levi) doesn’t beat out UPL or whatever bridge goalie is sharing the crease in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He went back to get his business degree. 

His MBA?  In 1 year?  No chance.  Even a BBA in 1 year is far-fetched.

43 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I would expect the pair of them to share the crease in Rochester and may the best man win.

That is if one of them (Levi) doesn’t beat out UPL or whatever bridge goalie is sharing the crease in Buffalo.

I don't see that as an enticing option for EP.  Maybe being loaned-out, but again, why not sign with another team?

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/18/2022 at 6:29 PM, Taro T said:

Yes, he is.  But rather than play in CA while waiting for a chance to play Div I at Arizona State, he chose to play at Sioux Falls while waiting to become a Golden Gopher at Minnesota.  He's shown that he sees value in playing in a hockey hotbed.  So, just because he grew up in Irvine, there is no reason, based upon his past history, to believe he would necessarily rather be near dear old dad over playing for Adams crew in wintry WNY.

His father is an assistant coach with the Ontario Reign, and he followed in dad's footsteps at Minnesota.  I believe he was drafted by Sioux Falls into the USHL. There's definitely some smoke to the fire here.  And it'd be naive to think otherwise.  

Edited by Drag0nDan

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

It's like this board believes that no hockey player ever went to college to win a national championship or (gasp!) get an education.

I went to RPI in the 1980s.  I saw Adam Oates, Mike McPhee, Darren Puppa play during that time.  Anyway... not speaking to those guys in particular, but there's a reason an engineering school like RPI had a "sports management" school.

Edited by Doohickie

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I went to RPI in the 1980s.  I saw Adam Oates, Mike McPhee, Darren Puppa play during that time.  Anyway... not speaking to those guys in particular, but there's a reason an engineering school like RPI had a "sports management" school.

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

On 4/19/2022 at 8:32 PM, MBD said:

His MBA?  In 1 year?  No chance.  Even a BBA in 1 year is far-fetched.

His BBA.

1 year?  This this will be his 3rd year at Michigan.  He could legitimately be planning on finishing it up before going pro.

This combined with a possible desire to compete for a national championship are reasonable reasons for returning to Michigan for another season.  He also could recognize that he needs more development and thinks he can do that at Michigan just as well as in the AHL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

His BBA.

1 year?  This this will be his 3rd year at Michigan.  He could legitimately be planning on finishing it up before going pro.

This combined with a possible desire to compete for a national championship are reasonable reasons for returning to Michigan for another season.  He also could recognize that he needs more development and thinks he can do that at Michigan just as well as in the AHL.

Had also heard that he & some of his classmates are working on a startup.  Presuming that is correct, probably easier to help w/ that while actually living in Ann Arbor.

Lots of reasons to stay besides simply wanting to shaft Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Had also heard that he & some of his classmates are working on a startup.  Presuming that is correct, probably easier to help w/ that while actually living in Ann Arbor.

Lots of reasons to stay besides simply wanting to shaft Buffalo.

Ah yes, there was some app that Portillo and a couple classmates were launching.  I recall reading about that.

I think it’s very clear that this guy just has legitimate interests/aspirations in the business world.

• Like (+1) 2

On 4/21/2022 at 12:24 PM, Curt said:

His BBA.

Meaning finishing his BBA by the end of this, his 3rd, year at Michigan.  If he's planning on finishing it completely, that's 2 more years, after which he'll definitely be an UFA. If you are thinking he could return to school for just this year and then finish it after he joins the Sabres, he could have done the same right now.

As I said before, if in a year I'm wrong, I'll admit it.  If I'm right, I won't gloat.  But the Sabres better make sure that Levi is signed, sealed and delivered next year.

Edited by MBD

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.