GDT: 4/8/2022, Sabres @ Panthers, 7pm on MSG 📺 WGR 📻

LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Or how about they clear the puck out of the zone instead of giving it right to the Panthers player at the blue line?

Unfortunately there were about 50 dumb plays tonight. Granato should bag skate these mofo's for backsliding into mid-season Sabres form. I don't care if CAR and FLA are the best teams in the league.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

Here is the good news.  This team played two excellent teams tooth and nail for most of a back to back on the road.  We lost but we didn't make it easy despite tired legs and some lackadaisical play.

Earlier this season, this game would have been 6 - 1 and over after 20 minutes. 

Now think about what we saw and add more offense from Quinn and JJP, better defense with an upgrade over Pysyk and better goaltending and we get a huge step closer to Carolina and Florida. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

I 100% believe that he is a #2/fringer.  Big ain’t nothin when you can’t stop the fluff.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Linus Ullmark has a .910sv% in Boston this year. You don't invest long term in that. 

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

Then give him a bigger paycheck for a few years. This nonsense isn’t worth the savings. UPL isn’t the answer.

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Hard pass. There's no reason to give Ullmark anything and Adams correctly walked away. 

UPL has a .917sv% for Buffalo this past season. 

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

That’s why our goaltending is crap. “It’s like we burn our boots with no contingency plan”, to quote the philanthropist, Gordon Downey.

You could evaluate why you’ve failed the exam though.

I like how at the end you literally deleted the part where I have upl at a .917% in the NHL but Ullmark at .910% while playing for Boston. Ullmark isn't an answer and Adams correctly walked away when he wanted more money and years. 

4 hours ago, Ogre said:

I’ve never seen any evidence of this. My point is, why lowball him? Would Boston have matched a higher offer? Ullmark has solid numbers and I don’t believe KA went in the right direction. It makes me question following him down the road to goaltending.

He doesn't and you don't invest in a goalie like Ullmark long term. 

8 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I’m sorry but if the plan for next year is to bring back Anderson for an Anderson/UPL pair then that is a joke.

Anderson is a great guy but is in his forties and is clocking in at around a .903 sv% the last 3-4 years. That isn’t good enough.

UPL has proven nothing and is not dominating in the AHL.

Go get a legit starter. They have no idea where UPL, Levi or Portillo are going to end up. Get a proven guy.

They have to spend money to get to the cap floor.

Sounds good. Now who is that "proven" guy that's available to just go out and sign. Names please.

• Like (+1) 1

Just rewatched the end of the game. When Bennet went after Dahlin, their color guy said, "If Dahlin is going to throw those elbows, he's going to have to answer the bell." He was referencing the game on Sunday.

Does anyone remember Dahlin throwing an elbow or was that just some homer BS?

10 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I’m sorry but if the plan for next year is to bring back Anderson for an Anderson/UPL pair then that is a joke.

Anderson is a great guy but is in his forties and is clocking in at around a .903 sv% the last 3-4 years. That isn’t good enough.

UPL has proven nothing and is not dominating in the AHL.

Go get a legit starter. They have no idea where UPL, Levi or Portillo are going to end up. Get a proven guy.

They have to spend money to get to the cap floor.

Maybe, just maybe we should stop letting our goalies face 40 shots in a night

I agree we could use an upgrade @ G, but wining face offs and out shooting our opponents every night with O controlled play will also make our goaltending look a lot better.

Anderson and UPL is not end of the world combination... but we could do worse. Not sure how many top G would sign here. But like you said we have money to spend on a 2-3 year stop gap

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SwampD said:

Just rewatched the end of the game. When Bennet went after Dahlin, their color guy said, "If Dahlin is going to throw those elbows, he's going to have to answer the bell." He was referencing the game on Sunday.

Does anyone remember Dahlin throwing an elbow or was that just some homer BS?

Yes, I do.  Bennett has been going after Dahlin for two games because of this elbow.. Dahlin should just drop the gloves and fight him, North American style.  Bennett is not that tough either and every time he gets into a pushing and cross checking scrum with Dahlin he comes out worse off and even more agitated. 

I expect this will continue next season.  Hoping a stronger, more mature, and more confident Dahlin puts an end to it and sends a message.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, sabresouth said:

Mitts looked weak tonight. I think he is still struggling to get his stamina back.

There must be something in the way he hunches his shoulders, or gets a pained expression that inspires these posts.

He was among our best forwards last night and his line was good despite the fact Brunette was trying to target it.

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

So, I just realized that Florida has picks 1,2, and 4 from the 2014 draft. That's somethin'.

And when Krebs Cozens Quinn Dahlin Power etc. hit their prime together in a few years the way Ekblad, Bennett, Reinhart, Barkov, Duclair etc.have we should also be that good.

At least that’s the plan.

• Like (+1) 7

Bennett went after Dahlin at the buzzer. That brings Tage in. Then Bennett gets aided by Huberdeau. Darlin scrums with Bennett, Huberdeau, and Weegar.  Tuch comes in to help. Bennett hides behind ref while squawking away. 

Bennett just does not impress me.   He tried all game to seek revenge of some sort, but all he ends up doing is crossing checking and pushing.  Dahlin should finish this next season. Send a message. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 4/8/2022 at 11:10 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

Unfortunately there were about 50 dumb plays tonight. Granato should bag skate these mofo's for backsliding into mid-season Sabres form. I don't care if CAR and FLA are the best teams in the league.

They make some really slick plays to get out for their own end but they also turn the puck over a lot needlessly as well in their own end. Hopefully there is less and less of that as they mature.

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

They make some really slick plays to get out for their own end but they also turn the puck over a lot needlessly as well in their own end. Hopefully there is less and less of that as they mature.

It's a fine line. But the Canes and Panthers started taking the Sabres seriously, put out max effort and you saw the result.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.