A Knights Tale: From Sabre to Knight; one man’s failure to make the playoffs AND how it benefits the Sabres draft position

Crusader1969

29 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Vegas broadcast is giving updates on the Dallas game.

Seems there's no joy in Mudville tonight.

Stone being a shell of himself doesn't help their cause.  He should still be on the shelf IMHO.

Knights tried the Kucherov shuffle with Stone. Didn’t work. 

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think Jack will be much much better next year, with an off-season to train

That being said , it’s no skin off my elbow if he struggles 

His neck and his conditioning might be better next year but that cap hit is FOREVER!  😄

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Probably an unpopular opinion but I think Jack will be much much better next year, with an off-season to train

I agree, he'll have a really, really good year, but the Knights will miss the playoffs again. How pissed will Jack be while he's watching Sabres playoff hockey on tv?

• Awesome! (+1) 3

Just now, Amaru523 said:

I agree, he'll have a really, really good year, but the Knights will miss the playoffs again. How pissed will Jack be while he's watching Sabres playoff hockey on tv?

My ultimate goal is for Jack to never get a whiff of the playoffs in his career, but at the very least I want to see the Sabres win the Cup before Jack sets foot on playoff ice.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

He very well could be & Vegas could be back in the playoffs next year too, especially if they punt DeBoer.  So am very fine w/ getting this year's pick at 15 or 16 rather than having a slight chance at winning next season's lottery w/ the pick.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Amaru523 said:

If he has a career year for him then the Knights might make the playoff.  I want to see what they do to get under the cap before I weigh in on their playoff chances.  They have Head Case Lehner too.  His saga might not be over either. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

His neck and his conditioning might be better next year but that cap hit is FOREVER!  😄

If Jack returns to form next year he will be worth he cap hit. If he doesn't return to form he won't be worth the cap cost. I would rather see him get fully healthy and become the player he is capable of being. The return the Sabres got for him was a fair return even if Jack becomes an elite player. From what I have seen of Tuch he is better than I expected and Krebs has demonstrated that in another year or so when he gets stronger he is going to be a good player for us. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He very well could be & Vegas could be back in the playoffs next year too, especially if they punt DeBoer.  So am very fine w/ getting this year's pick at 15 or 16 rather than having a slight chance at winning next season's lottery w/ the pick.

So do this … 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

If Jack returns to form next year he will be worth he cap hit. If he doesn't return to form he won't be worth the cap cost.

I would say that he could score 120 points and not be worth the cap hit because of the players VGK will need to move to make room for him will make the team worse.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

If he has a career year for him then the Knights might make the playoff.  I want to see what they do to get under the cap before I weigh in on their playoff chances.  They have Head Case Lehner too.  His saga might not be over either. 

The Lehner saga will never be over. I'm not suggesting that he is a bad guy or even a negative influence on the team. It's just that with a complicated person like him things are never simple or quiet. That's part of the package when you bring him in. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, JohnC said:

The Lehner saga will never be over. I'm not suggesting that he is a bad guy or even a negative influence on the team. It's just that with a complicated person like him things are never simple or quiet. That's part of the package when you bring him in. 

Hasek was a head case too, but he won.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I would say that he could score 120 points and not be worth the cap hit because of the players VGK will need to move to make room for him will make the team worse.

According to PuckPedia they're only sitting $556k over the cap w/ 20 players under contract.  They'll be able to finesse that w/out major losses.  They'd likely lose Janmark as a UFA & then have to trade Dadanov somewhere that he WILL accept a trade to & they should be fine.  They're tight, but not over & even have a very little wiggle room to sign a couple of their RFAs.

They shouldn't be anywhere close to the $9MM they're over right now.

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Any team that has a number of talented players on its roster is eventually going to have cap pressures. Tough decisions on which players to keep and which to shed will have to be made. You can't avoid it. Tampa had a roster full of talented players. They couldn't keep them all. I would rather have a robust roster that forced me to make those tough decisions rather than have a thin roster where it wasn't necessary to make those type of decisions. In a few years, I foresee the Sabre GM being in a situation where he will be forced to decide which players to keep and which to move on. The key is drafting well and having a pipeline to replace the players you can't keep. In that respect KA is doing a good job by building up our prospect pool. Vegas is not in such a good situation because they have dealt away a lot of their picks. So, in that respect we are in a much better situation.  

• Like (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Hasek was a head case too, but he won.

Hasek was the best of the best. He carried the team. However, as you suggest that doesn't mean that these type of "unique" characters are easy to deal with. You do your best to manage them and give them a little more space to roam. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

According to PuckPedia they're only sitting $556k over the cap w/ 20 players under contract.  They'll be able to finesse that w/out major losses.  They'd likely lose Janmark as a UFA & then have to trade Dadanov somewhere that he WILL accept a trade to & they should be fine.  They're tight, but not over & even have a very little wiggle room to sign a couple of their RFAs.

They shouldn't be anywhere close to the $9MM they're over right now.

I'm not just focusing on Vegas but considering how good our cap situation is compared to a number of teams there could be some good opportunities to get a player or two in a deal because we have the space to parlay in a deal. How about maneuvering to get a goalie by taking on a contract and throwing in a pick? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.