Which top 9 forward will be moved in off season

sweetlou

51 minutes ago, North Buffalo said:

I disagree... that goal the other night showed speed... plus great hands... he looks in better shape... more muscle finally and much harder on the puck... does he have a way to go sure... but I think he is getting there and Krebs is pushing him... Oloffson imo may be the odd man out... still dont think any of these guys will be let go next year though if for no other reason the Sabres even with Quinn and possibly Peterka stepping up still dont have enough depth and not sure the return would be worth it

You bring up an interesting issue about Mittelstadt: What level of a player is he? As you pointed out he can tantalize you with some sparkling plays but do they represent his overall game. What I saw last year after Granato took gave me a lot of optimism about him and his potential. This year it has been tough to evaluate him because of his injuries and recovering time. There are 19 games left in the season. It would be great to get a better sense of what he is capable of. If he can demonstrate that he can be a factor for this team and be another young player added to our young core it would be such a bonus. 

With respect to Olofsson my view of him appears to be a minority view. I would prefer to keep him as a lower line player and also a player on the second PP unit. Upgrading the lower lines by adding more scoring punch is something this franchise hasn't had in a long time. The one problem that isn't a problem is having too many players competing with one another and providing depth.  

• Like (+1) 1

I like our group with our kids coming up from Rochester… and the addition of Power and Levi, the future looks bright… Wouldn’t mess with the new culture and the locker room Adams and Granato are building… We can compete for a playoff spot next year with UPL, if Anderson comes back…

The same number that were traded at the deadline.

Thompson, Tuch, Mitts are on great contracts

Krebs, Quinn and Cozens are on ELCs (and JJP if he makes the team)

Skinner and KO aren’t going anywhere. 

I’d agree that VO is not a long-term core piece, but he fits in with the group and can be retained for a reasonable cost.  He has 19 games to prove he’s healthy.  I understand the feeling to find an upgrade in this group.  There is no one you’d label as a dynamic player and we still don’t score enough (we are tied for 25th in GF, one goal behind Seattle.)  A healthy Mitts plus maturing kids Cozens, Quinn and Krebs coupled with a balanced attack should significantly improve the goal scoring.

Where I can see the biggest changes in the forward group coming are with the energy line.  Asplund and Girgensons are under contract.  Vinnie should be reasonable to retain if KA wants him back.  However Eakin should be upgraded and although under contract, Bjork should never play for us again.  I think with some good cap casualties KA could utilize our cap space to make a much more lethal “energy” populated with guys that can play up the lineup, but who come from winning organizations to also help our culture.  Guys like Compher and Lars Eller come to mind, but there are others.

Don’t forget that with all of our young returning players we are about 15 mill under next year’s cap floor. KA is going to have to spend somewhere.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

You bring up an interesting issue about Mittelstadt: What level of a player is he? As you pointed out he can tantalize you with some sparkling plays but do they represent his overall game. What I saw last year after Granato took gave me a lot of optimism about him and his potential. This year it has been tough to evaluate him because of his injuries and recovering time. There are 19 games left in the season. It would be great to get a better sense of what he is capable of. If he can demonstrate that he can be a factor for this team and be another young player added to our young core it would be such a bonus. 

With respect to Olofsson my view of him appears to be a minority view. I would prefer to keep him as a lower line player and also a player on the second PP unit. Upgrading the lower lines by adding more scoring punch is something this franchise hasn't had in a long time. The one problem that isn't a problem is having too many players competing with one another and providing depth.  

I agree on Ollie though if someone was going to get traded it might be him... and as I stated before I would rather have depth... not another Jag or prospect.

Edited by North Buffalo

IMO none, Hopefully they sign a legit top D-man with their cap space and bring in a couple of legit wingers with toughness, grit, and skill to create competition.  We can just sit back and watch this team develop into a winner!!! 

Go Sabres!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I think no one of the Top 9 is traded.

Agree about “tiers” of players for the Buffalo Top 9;

Locks: Thompson, Tuch, Skinner, Cozens, Krebs

Likely: Middlestadt, Quinn

I think “The Plan”: Peterka, Oloffson

Back-Up: Hinostroza, Okposo, Girgensons to fill in if Quinn (unlikely), Middlestadt (unlikely) or Peterka (50-50) can’t hold a top 9 role, otherwise play Fourth line. I think if Peterka can’t hold the spot, send him back to AHL .

This puts me thinking the lines might be;

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch

Krebs - Cozens - Quinn

Oloffson - Mittlestadt - Peterka

Then, I think it’s a fourth line that could fill In for injuries, or provide a good shutdown as needed. Didn’t speculate too much, but I think Hinostroza is re-signed… I don’t love the stack up though, I’d really like to have Hinostroza and Okposo both in the lineup;

TBD - Girgensons - Okposo

Hinostroza

Edited by Brad_MI
Added comment
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

The only trades I would like to see are trades that bring back better players from teams who need cap relief.  Don't sell low on our players who still have room to grow.

p.s. Go Adams!!!

p.p.s. Go Sabres!!!

Welcome back to the board.

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I don’t see Mitts moving unless another very solid C is coming back in trade.   We need a face off winning, two way center, that can shut down another teams top line.  More like a Don Luce or a Mike Peca - we need someone in this role that makes Cody Eakin expendable.  

Olofsson could be moved since we have promising young wingers in the AHL pipeline that are coming up.  Typically, you have to give up something to get something back. 

I think that their plan is for Cozens to be that guy.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, pastajoe said:

I see Mitts as another Cody Hodgson; potential skill that will never live up to expectations. Include him in a package for a veteran defenseman who can pair with and mentor Power.

Hodgson was living up to expectations, but suffered from an autoimmune disease that forced him to retire.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, inkman said:

Now (the off-season really) would be the worst time to trade him ever.  His value is near zero.  They have to let him get up to speed before doing anything.  I think he’ll follow along Tage’s trajectory and have a breakout season when he actually gets healthy and not constantly battling back from injury. I’m setting next season as that starting point.  He’s just had no consistency around him for any period of time. Next season Meatballs will work on getting him regular linemates with a defined role. 

I agree.  I’m actually liking how Mitts is looking.  Obviously takes some time to get up to full speed, but I think he looks stronger.

I’m fine with shipping off Olofsson, but another player should be coming back. Preferably I would trade him and Johnson for a better player that fits a need, like a RHD. We need quality over quantity now. I like Olofsson, but he seems to be the type of player we are trying to move away from. 

24 minutes ago, JohnnyK said:

The only trades I would like to see are trades that bring back better players from teams who need cap relief.  Don't sell low on our players who still have room to grow.

p.s. Go Adams!!!

p.p.s. Go Sabres!!!

Olofsson has very little room to grow at this stage. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Olofsson has very little room to grow at this stage. 

But why sell low, keep him and hope he does well then move him as younger players take his place...as in force him out of the line-up...until then play to win!

22 hours ago, Curt said:

Hodgson was living up to expectations, but suffered from an autoimmune disease that forced him to retire.

His best season was 20 goals and 44 points. That’s not living up to expectations for a top 10 pick. I’m not blaming him for his illness, but he clearly didn’t deliver on his potential.

21 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

His best season was 20 goals and 44 points. That’s not living up to expectations for a top 10 pick. I’m not blaming him for his illness, but he clearly didn’t deliver on his potential.

Age 21 - 83 games - 19G - 22A - 41PTS

Age 22 - 48 games - 15-19-34

Age 23 - 72 games - 20-24-44

Then he got sick.

Hodgson was trending towards being a 2C at least.  That actually is living up to expectations for a #10 pick.

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

I could see Olofsson and/or Johnson being dealt for an RHD during the off-season depending on what type of experienced RHD Adams wants.

Until Pittsburgh signs him I’ll keep banging the Letang drum for the fact he’s seasoned and has 3 cup rings.

Mayfield might be handy but his only issue is he’s 29-30 at this time and a UFA next year. His value is high while also being potentially a complete waste of resources.

Gudas would be a salary dump in a way so he would cost an arm and a leg but I’ve heard bad things about him in regards to behavior.

Erik Johnson would be an interesting option if he comes available in the off-season.

I wish Myers had learned defense more over the years because I’d be more interested in him then. At this time he’s akin to Letang in skill set but lacks any of the clout.

I have zero interest in Klingberg due to his future contract being absurd for his actual value.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.