College Hockey Tournament info

GASabresIUFAN

Tourney Semi-finals.

Michigan pounded MSU in the qtr finals by scores of 4-1 and 8-0.  In game 1 Portillo made 22 saves on 23 shots.  Power had no points.  In game 2 Portillo went 23 for 23 and had 2 assists.  Power was again shutout.

#2 Mich plays #3 ND at 6:30pm Saturday on the Big10 Network 

#1 Minn plays #5 Penn St. at 9:00 Saturday on the Big10 Network.  Minn had a bye into the semis.  Huglen and Johnson should be in the lineup.

Also

Northeastern also plays on Saturday at 7:30 pm against BC.  Levi is 4-1 in his last 5 games with only 5 goals allowed on 195 shots.  That's a 974 save %. The one loss was a 0-1 to Vermont.  Game is NESN

He has to be the Hobey Baker winner at this point.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I think that if Michigan wins the natty, Portillo leaves and signs with the Sabres (along with Power, who will do so regardless).  If they don't win it all, Portillo may go back to school for another year.  For Portillo, it is likely Michigan or the AHL, whereas for Power, it's the NHL.  And I'm not exactly sure how it works (I'm sure many on this board do), but I would love to see Power on the Amerks' blueline for the AHL playoff run.  Get in the max munber of games in Buffalo without eating the first year of his contract, then send him down to work with his future teammates and make a playoff run and get some professional hockey playoff experience.

Edited by msw2112

On 3/11/2022 at 11:11 AM, kas23 said:

Predict: who will sign with Buffalo first, Portillo or Levi?

If they both sign, where do they play?   

You've already got UPL in Roch.   

Possible scenario....  UPL gets called up, Portillo/Levi split the net in Roch.

On 3/11/2022 at 3:18 PM, msw2112 said:

Get in the max munber of games in Buffalo without eating the first year of his contract, then send him down to work with his future teammates and make a playoff run and get some professional hockey playoff experience.

I don't believe there's any possibility of him signing without assurances he burns a year of his ELC, nor should he. 

22 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

If they both sign, where do they play?   

You've already got UPL in Roch.   

Possible scenario....  UPL gets called up, Portillo/Levi split the net in Roch.

Exactly what I was thinking. UPL can go back and compete for the Calder Cup after we’re done. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea and he stopped 46 of 48 shots, that's crazy. 

He stopped 59 of 60 against UConn on 2/25 in a 3-1 victory.  Northeastern’s D must be awful. He has only allowed 7 goals in his last 6 games on 243 shots.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

The Minn ice sheet is huge.  It’s 200 x 100.  Michigan’s is the same as an NHL rink at 200 x 85.

Huglen is a very active player.  He just made a nice play filling in for a D who pinched to far.  I’m enjoying watching him play with Rem Pitlick’s brother Rhett.  Cousin Tyler plays for the Canadians.

3-2 Gophers.  They’ll play Michigan next Saturday.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

9 minutes ago, OrangeSeatVertigo said:

probably have Power for last 5 or 6 games of the season, if at all.  would be fun to see him

7 games would be the minimum if Power and Michigan go all the way. Frozen 4 ends the 9th and I'd hope they would let Power rest the 10th so that leaves 7 Sabres games. 

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I believe the plan is to sign Levi at the end of His Season and have Portillo stay at Michigan one more year.

That way they remain on a staggered development tract 

That makes sense on one hand, but seems like it’s opening the door for Portillo to strongly consider staying that last season and going UFA.  Maybe the Sabres feel very confident that he wants to sign with them though.

Either way, I think Levi is a must sign, ASAP.  All decisions after that are secondary.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I believe the plan is to sign Levi at the end of His Season and have Portillo stay at Michigan one more year.

I think Portillo needs another year. He wasn't anywhere near as consistent as Levi.

29 minutes ago, Curt said:

That makes sense on one hand, but seems like it’s opening the door for Portillo to strongly consider staying that last season and going UFA.  Maybe the Sabres feel very confident that he wants to sign with them though.

Either way, I think Levi is a must sign, ASAP.  All decisions after that are secondary.

These 3 guys must realize what an opportunity they have. There is no 26 year old stud ahead of them in this organization. One of them can take the net and be the man for 10 years.

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Portillo needs another year. He wasn't anywhere near as consistent as Levi.

He really came on in the other half of the season. The piece of the puzzle here is whether Portillo (or even Levi) wants to sign. He may not. Or, he may be gunning for it. If he is, I don’t think you can spurn his wishes and tell him next year. 

There’s only 2 nets to develop 3 prospects.

Each of them and UPL needs to play.

This is the way to go, IMO, assuming there are no flight risks.

4 hours ago, Brawndo said:

14 minutes ago, dudacek said:

There’s only 2 nets to develop 3 prospects.

Each of them and UPL needs to play.

This is the way to go, IMO, assuming there are no flight risks.

I don’t recall the Peterson details, but I’m still feeling that burn.  I wouldn’t take any chances and would bring him in now. 
The ECHL is an option too.  Plus UPL gets an injury a year, so that opens a door. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.