Connor McDavid goal that deserves it’s own thread

SDS

1 hour ago, nucci said:

you think it was easy to hit McDavid there? 

Not easy for sure, but 4 v 1; the 4 should always win lol. Maybe 1 or 2 should collapsed in on him and either stood him up or at least make him do some other ridiculous deke. That defensive play was comically bad.

Ranger 1: ”Hey, the best player in the world is coming at us, what should we do?”

Ranger 2: “Let’s flail our sticks at him; that’s bound to work”

Ranger 3 “Great idea”

Ranger 4 “How are our flailing sticks not stopping him!?”

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Hoss said:

He couldn’t. And it’s not his fault necessarily. What McDavid does and the ways to get there didn’t exist back then. The stick technology alone is a massive advantage to McDavid.

I'd go as far to say that the skates nowadays are more of an advantage than even the sticks. I've skated in old and new. The difference is night and day.

3 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

I'd go as far to say that the skates nowadays are more of an advantage than even the sticks. I've skated in old and new. The difference is night and day.

Very true. Equipment across the board has taken a huge step forward.

Modern stars are the “best” ever because of these things. In all sports. Obviously if you transported some older players into modern times as children many would excel at a similar or greater level but just comparing one vs one the modern era will almost always be better. 20 years from now the players will be better than they are right now. Maybe not better than McDavid but definitely better on average.

5 hours ago, Hoss said:

What a weird, made up attempt to discredit an amazing play.

I'm not discrediting it, I said at the top it's a great goal. But I've been seeing it on every sports channel and platform and all these people saying "greatest ever" and "greatest player ever" and that isn't true. He's great, but when he breaks all these scoring records you have to keep in mind it's a league that allows that now. That's all. 

I remember Perreault killing a penalty puck on his stick going up and down and around the ice and he had that puck on his stick for about a minute and a half of that 2 minute penalty. You'll never see that in the history of the great plays or whatever, but you should know his skills were unmatched at the time, just like McDavid now. Just one example. 

• Like (+1) 2

Its a shame that sabres got 2nd pick. Other than his 1 season, jack never played at top of the league player. 

McDavid is like a very expensive wine, and eichel feels like your top of the line wine...that can be enjoyed out of a box

Boxed Wine GIF by Foxtrot Market

Edited by miles
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well ya, it's a great goal, but that's what you're going to get in a league where you don't play the body any more. Perreault had the skill set to do the very same thing, but in that league near impossible. 

And yet how many times did he do it anyway?

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Like (+1) 2

Hello, didn't Hertl undress the Sabres D just like this a few days ago?

They were saying the other night that Bobby Hull clocked out faster than McDavid, at least on pure straight ahead skating. Pavel Bure and Mogilny could fly too.

Perreault would make highlight plays almost every game, scoring on many.  He was an amazing and truly unique skater and puck handler. It's a bloody shame that we don't have more highlights on film and available on places like YouTube.  Perreault's 250th goal had him literally outdeke the goalie one-handed with a defender literally draped over his back.  That was some goal! There's blurry film of it available somewhere on YT.  It's a bloody shame that I only caught the end of his career. What Perreault lacked then and would really lack today is the 24/7/365 dedication to making yourself great like McDavid and Crosby have.   Also the goaltending today is so much bigger and better that Perreault would have had to work harder to score as many goals.  

I was thinking the other day that UPL would probably have made it to the NHL back in the 80's, but now looks lost in the AHL many nights.

Edited by etiennep99

The problem with this particular clip is that it doesn't show that Perreault was on the ice for over a minute (1:13) before this goal with several rushes back and forth.  Most players today wouldn't have had the energy to rush down the ice like this after a shift like this.  I think that there's a fuller clip out there; I found a copy, and the goal comes at 1:13, counting the face-off.

Edited by etiennep99
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.