Defense in 2022-23 & Beyond

GASabresIUFAN

34 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Yeah.  Not sure why people want Ristolainen-lite back.

Also, there’s literally zero chance he would come back here after the way he left/what he said when he did.  

It’s a weird thing where a lot of the fan base seems to have forgotten? 
I don’t have a link, but I know the stories and I feel like most others do too.  

7 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Also, there’s literally zero chance he would come back here after the way he left/what he said when he did.  

It’s a weird thing where a lot of the fan base seems to have forgotten? 
I don’t have a link, but I know the stories and I feel like most others do too.  

Not really sure he said anything bad, only thing he said was that he wanted to win.

Anyone want to try to trade for Burns ? Supposedly wants out but I guess for a contender only.   Still 3 years at 8 mill at age 37 though.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Not really sure he said anything bad, only thing he said was that he wanted to win.

Anyone want to try to trade for Burns ? Supposedly wants out but I guess for a contender only.   Still 3 years at 8 mill at age 37 though.

That's what I remember too.

In regards to Burns.  As I ahve said before, I would bring him in here for his beard and toothless smile.  He's still pretty good too.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

That's what I remember too.

In regards to Burns.  As I ahve said before, I would bring him in here for his beard and toothless smile.  He's still pretty good too.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

If when you were traded away from an organization, you were left of the opinion that it's not that the Sabres hate Russians, they just think there shouldn't be too many Russians on the team…would you go back?

Remember when he was suspended and scratched for disciplinary reasons? He was also of the opinion he was singled out. 

If he has any other option, he’s going there first. 

9 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

If when you were traded away from an organization, you were left of the opinion that it's not that the Sabres hate Russians, they just think there shouldn't be too many Russians on the team…would you go back?

Remember when he was suspended and scratched for disciplinary reasons? He was also of the opinion he was singled out. 

Is there any reliable documentation on your first point?  Where is it documented that the Sabre management feel that way about Russians?

He was singled out for behaving like a child and not a professional hockey player.

I agree that it is unlikely that he will come back to the Sabres, but it's my opinion that the Sabres don't want him back.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS

Just now, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Is there any reliable documentation on your first point?  Where is it documented that the Sabre management feel that way about Russians?

He was singled out for behaving like a child and not a professional hockey player.

http://thecomeback.com/puckdrunklove/2016-articles/nikita-zadorov-claims-the-sabres-dont-want-too-many-russians-on-their-team.html

it’s also not the only source. 

2 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

This is nothing.  Disgruntled players lashing out.

I want / need a direct quote from Murray, who was GM eons ago.  

Anyway, why are we debating this.  Murray is long gone.  Zads is long gone.

3 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

This is nothing.  Disgruntled players lashing out.

I want / need a direct quote from Murray, who was GM eons ago.  

Anyway, why are we debating this.  Murray is long gone.  Zads is long gone.

I’m not delaying anything. I’m stating he’s not coming back to play here lol

2 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

We weren't really debating that.  We agree on that, but seems for different reasons.

We were debating the circumstances surrounding his departure.

It's all moot since Murray is not GM anymore.

1 minute ago, Porous Five Hole said:

He’s not coming back here… NOT Because “Sabres don’t like Russians“.

But because Zadorov isn’t that good. He just isn’t. Wildly inconsistent. Low IQ. Hurts his teams often with his penalties. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 11/17/2021 at 7:06 PM, PerreaultForever said:

I'd like to put in a vote for Power Bryson. I'm starting to love the way he plays and think he could be an unexpected piece of the puzzle. 

I was a proponent of this before Power got here.  So far Donny hasn't shown any propensity to put those two together.

2 hours ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Ah sorry, thought you were talking about ristolainen, guess it was about Zadorov.   Yeah he did say bad things about sabres not wanting Russians.

5 hours ago, Zamboni said:

He’s not coming back here… NOT Because “Sabres don’t like Russians“.

But because Zadorov isn’t that good. He just isn’t. Wildly inconsistent. Low IQ. Hurts his teams often with his penalties. 

This is so true.  If Ristolainen drove you nuts, then Zadorov will do so as well.  They have very similar flaws.

• Thanks (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
  • GASabresIUFAN changed the title to Defense in 2022-23 & Beyond

I’ve updated this thread title to reflect this coming season.

For the analytics experts here, would you mind posting a comparison of Samuelsson, Jokiharju and Lyubushkin defensively.  

One camp battle I’m interested to see play out is Lyubushkin vs Jokiharju with the winner getting to be Power’s partner.  

I also think this is make or break season for both Bryson and Jokiharju. With good seasons, one or both could join Samuelsson, Dahlin and Power as part of the longer term core beyond their current contract status.  

• Agree 2

I will be pretty surprised if Joker isn't Power's partner or isn't in the top 4 if the top 4 pairings are jumbled.

I think the organization likes Joker quite a bit and that they brought in Boosh to solidify what would've been a shaky Bryson-Fitzie 3rd pair -- not because they thought Boosh would compete with Joker for a 2nd pairing slot.

I also think Bryson probably has more leash than just this year, although I agree that he could play himself off the roster if he's lousy.

• Like (+1) 1

If Samuelsson and Power play at or near what I project them to be (not a guarantee for any of the 6)

Samuelsson Dahlin

Power Jokiharju

Bryson Lyubushkin

Is a pretty solid mix of size, skating and skill sets, with Boosh jumping into the top 4 in shutdown situations and each player slotted about where he should be in the lineup.

The only obvious hole is experience.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I will be pretty surprised if Joker isn't Power's partner or isn't in the top 4 if the top 4 pairings are jumbled.

I think the organization likes Joker quite a bit and that they brought in Boosh to solidify what would've been a shaky Bryson-Fitzie 3rd pair -- not because they thought Boosh would compete with Joker for a 2nd pairing slot.

I also think Bryson probably has more leash than just this year, although I agree that he could play himself off the roster if he's lousy.

That was my initial thought as well.  However the Sabres are much more attuned to analytics now and Joki’s numbers frankly aren’t very good. Lyubuskin’s seem better from my look at Hockey-reference.  Lyubushkin is also considerably more physical with nearly 200 hits last year. Toronto only used him 16 minutes a night while DG played Joki over 21.  Maybe the goal here is to give the smaller Bryson a larger more physical partner, but it could also be to give a pure stay at home partner for Power, to enable Owen to freelance more.  The comparison would be the Myers Tallinder pairing.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.