Face it, the plan for next year is another tank

dudacek

1 hour ago, PotentPowerPlay21 said:

I hope they get a good return for Eichel in a trade, but I don't think KA is up to it. Clearly, the combo of Jack,Sam and Risto was unsuccessful for the team so I don't regret turning the page entirely. However, the team has been severely mismanaged for many years now. Personnel decisions, both players and front office, have been terrible. We can all quote the bad free agent signings (Skinner,Okposo) and the bad trades (too numerous), but in fairness it was a team effort to fail this badly. 

The question now is whether the team has the structure in place to turn the franchise around. Is the leadership and vision from ownership capable of winning in this league? All indications are, "NO". It has been a decade since the Pegulas have run the team. Maybe some positive signs should have shown themselves by now if they were competent? Nothing but failure so far!

Do they have the personnel management team in place to succeed i.e. GM,scouts,coaches? It doesn't look like it, but they get a little more time to prove themselves. Sometimes you find something good in the bargain bin.

Do they have the players to compete for the Stanley Cup? No! Some day the core of the current players on the roster might develop into something good, but right now it looks bleak for the short term.

If this analysis is wrong, I will be very happy. I hope it is wrong, but they have to convince me with results. Time will tell.

Isn’t Karmanos a counterpoint to this? The recent draft where they purposefully undid the shackles of the past?

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

You left Eichel and Reinhart off that list.

I am now. The Sabres already ruin my winters. I’m not going to let them ruin my summers, as well, by having to listen to plans of an upcoming tank after sucking for ten years and fans actually giddy about it. JFC!

See you at training camp.

As Avril Lavigne once wrote, I'm with you.

I would like to see 5 lines and 4 pairs of competent NHLers (the bottom of which are in Rochester) on this roster.  I want 2 solid NHL goalies.  I am not asking for the moon.  If we can get Larsson and Lazar types with a few Will Borgens, we could have a decent mix which I could live with.  Let us do this the right way this time.

3 hours ago, Cheektorado said:

I don't believe they will want to purposely tank.  They will be in the lottery so there will be a chance.  Building a proper culture is job one and showing the youngsters a tanking team is not the proper course.

14 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

But if you finish last You automatically a lock to get a franchise player 

13 minutes ago, WildCard said:

We just did this and are now trading him.

They haven't really learned. 

Hoping for the best this time

20 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

But if you finish last You automatically a lock to get a franchise player 

Play hockey and let whatever happens happen.  The folly of racing down a rabbit hole for a franchise player should not be lost on anyone right about now.

7 minutes ago, Thorny said:

They haven't really learned. 

Hoping for the best this time

Neither has segments of the fanbase apparently.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

They're at that level 

then you have 2023 draft the guy that's better then connor mcdavid

Nobody is at McDavids level. The hype around him was the highest since Lindros and it's the highest still

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

@LGR4GM there's just no way this is true. It's recency bias.

These 3 players coming out are Sydney Crosby, Connor mcdavid and Nathan mckinnon prospects.

Then you have in 2023 a kid that is better then  Connor mcdavid

These 2 drafts are going to be huge

Edited by Buffalonill

Just now, Buffalonill said:

These 3 players coming out are Sydney Crosby, Connor mcdavid and Nathan mckinnon prospects.

Then you have in 2023 a kid that is better then  Connor mcdavid

These 2 drafts are going to be huge

Lmao I can't buy that for a second 

13 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Yes.  The steps they take in net will be the key factor IMHO in evaluating whether they are trying to lose.  I really hope that they are not doing so and will take real action on goaltending.  If they do not, I will be deeply unhappy and will feel betrayed.

If they fail to sign Ullmark, then maybe the tank is on.  They have UPL, Portillo and now Levi in the pipeline.  Develop the rest of the team, get good draft picks, then bring on the goalie pipeline.  I won't feel betrayed.  I expect little from the coming season anyway.  I just hope they look good like they did toward the end of last season, with their cornucopia of goalies.

10 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

I think everyone is clear if Eichel goes a stud young center has to be in the return.  Doesn’t negate everything else. 

Cozens CAN get there. It’ll just be more of a blue collar approach.  It’s much better than the listless Reinhart approach. 

I'm calling it:  1C next year will be Girgensons, and he will be better than expected, with Skinner and Olofsson on his wings.  He'll be more of a two-way center, but the line will click.

Yes, an outlandish prediction, but I'm willing to stand by it until proven wrong.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I'm calling it:  1C next year will be Girgensons, and he will be better than expected, with Skinner and Olofsson on his wings.  He'll be more of a two-way center, but the line will click.

Yes, an outlandish prediction, but I'm willing to stand by it until proven wrong.

Now you’re speaking sense 

(and it’s been done before….)

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

I think Z is very much capable of handling the pressure of that role.  He won’t wilt.  But that line will not look good on a lot of nights.

• Like (+1) 1

Drawing comparisons is not the same thing as being a better prospect. They're similar for the exemption status and stats. Two teams literally intentionally lost games to get a crack at McDavid.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong, but McDavid is on another planet as far as prospects went.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Drawing comparisons is not the same thing as being a better prospect. They're similar for the exemption status and stats. Two teams literally intentionally lost games to get a crack at McDavid.

Idk, maybe I'm wrong, but McDavid is on another planet as far as prospects went.

You need to watch Wright and the other top 2 .

Covid most likely  Silenced the madness for that draft this year but it will start up again 

10 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Edited by Buffalonill

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.