"The Hit"

PTS

I don't have to say anything more!

It's was unbelievable. The place imploded when Campbell laid the boom on Umberger.

On a side not, I hope Umberger is OK.

Hitchcock said he was ready to go... :lol: He even said it with a straight face!

Of course, I hope Umberger is OK too.

But...

That one play showed that the Sabres would not be intimidated by the physicality (ok, goon tactics) of the Flyers. We took it, dished it out, then crushed them emotionally at the end.

Even if the Flyers had won that game, the tone had been set. Buffalo wasn't going to back down.

I almost think that was about the best game Philly could play, and they still lost. Esche was farking unbeliveable -- in the first OT I kept thinking, "this is what it was like to play against the Dominator". The Sabres were dominating that game, and would have won in a blowout if it weren't for Esche... so I think things look good for the Swordsmen in this series.

Can't wait til Monday!!

The only place he's going is to bed. I'd be shocked if he played in Game Two.

He had to have a concussion. There's no way he comes back in two, and I doubt he'll be playing until possibly a game seven.

I agree with the concussion assessment...he looked like he had no idea what his name was or why he was sitting on a big sheet of ice.

After about 5 minutes of celebrating the hit, I did feel, suddenly, a little guilty, and found myself hoping that Umberger is alright. Sure didn't look like he was.

I was at the game... My initial reaction was "Oh my god, is he dead?" I was in the 200's, and couldn't see his face from where i was or his breathing. When he skated off the ice, i still couldn't make out detail, but that guy was out on his feet and lucky to be alive. I'll be shocked if we see umburger again this series.

On that note, i can't friggin wait to see the tivo'd game back home... it was the biggest hit i've ever seen, bar none.

Man, you are right, that place imploded, He was just lying there and kept trying to look down ice but kept falling back on the ice. I thought they were going to need the stretcher. They only showed the replay of the hit once at the game though.

I just wishe it would have been a hit on one of the refs to wake up. It looked like the NHL went back to the game of old the way they were letting the Flyers do anything

The hit was textbook and it was clean.

I was screaming in excitement when I saw it and then was very quiet when I saw RJ's face. It was awful. He was out cold, his eyes glazed over.

I hope he's ok, but that hit was clean all the way.

On a side note, how did the Flyers not become short handed after going after Campbell? Weak. And 4 too many mens in OT, one called, then taken back?? Please.

Total domination tonight, except on the PP. It will sort itself out if it gets enough chances. Esche was huge. Could have, should have been 6-2 at least.

The hit was clean. Umberger got crushed because he bobbled a pass and had his head down.

The hit gave us a lot of momentum, which is always postive.

Umberger should have been on his way to ECMC after being checked out.

Alas, shame on classless, disrespectful OLN anouncers knowing full well this guy was put out of the game, but during a segway to commercial show the hit (and subsequent laying on the ice) in slow motion and voice over a complement to Cambell for an "eye-popping hit."

He had to have a concussion. There's no way he comes back in two, and I doubt he'll be playing until possibly a game seven.

Ya, he was completely out. Out cold! Doesn't the NHL have a rule you can't practice for a week or something after a concussion?

And I do hope he is ok. That took the fun out of seeing the hit. Umburger seems like a good guy. I really thought he might be dead

Man, you are right, that place imploded, He was just lying there and kept trying to look down ice but kept falling back on the ice. I thought they were going to need the stretcher. They only showed the replay of the hit once at the game though.

I just wishe it would have been a hit on one of the refs to wake up. It looked like the NHL went back to the game of old the way they were letting the Flyers do anything

The Sabres had 3 or 4 PP's in OT alone...I wouldn't say the that officials let the Flyers get away with everything? I thought the tripping call in the 1st OT after they had just killed off one penatly was a pretty weak call...all in all, I thought they call the game the way it has been.

I have no remorse for the hit. It should not have been shown over and over until we knew the kid was able to stand up, but that is the game of hockey. It was a textbook open ice hit. It happens almost once in every football game where a guy gets creamed going over the middle. Next time either a) he will keep his head up or b) his defenseman won't give him a buddy-****** pass!

I was going NUTS after that hit. Yeah I was hoping he would have popped back up so the guilt of cheering it wouldn't build up, but i knew that hit was clean cut and to cheer it was perfectly fine.

Great job by our boys coming back after a late gagne goal in regulation. I cannot wait to be at game 2 (Section 107 Row 4) It is time yet?!?! Ugh!!!!! Yes i cannot wait! I will be shouting full out: "Let's Go Buffalo!" My first playoff game and I better leave w/o a voice! lol

What a great example of a player stepping up his game in the playoffs. And what a testament to the Sabres coaching staff for inspiring their young team to lift their game.

If your small, speedy guys are capable of delivering hits like these, there's no need to fill up the roster with slow-skating goons to establish a physical presence.

That's the difference between Clarke and Regier. Clarke sacrifices size for speed, Regier knows that he doesn't have to (thanks in large part to his coach).

As all the board regulars know, I am not Campbell's biggest fan, but that was a hit for all-time.

RJ Umberger just joined one of the most exclusive clubs on earth. :lol:

Does that make 3 people that Campbell has hit this year?

I think it is a little like getting your ass whooped by Ralphie from Christmas story.

Archived