Shopping Jack Eichel: Winnipeg

dudacek

Will they be interested?

They could be, although the recent addition of Pierre-Luc Dubois to go with the very good Mark Scheifele means probably not. Plus their needs seem to be more centred around the blueline. That said, the free agent status of Paul Stastny and Matthieu Perreault does open $10 million under the cap up front.

Do they have the pieces?

If you think the return is all about lottery tickets, then probably not. Their top prospect is Cole Perfetti, a projected top six forward with very good skill, but maybe lacking in the other attributes you'd like in a first-liner. He might be a centre, he might not. He's supported by a pretty typical assortment of picks and prospects that might have interest as a throw-in. But if you wanted to make a hockey trade, Winnipeg has some interesting NHL pieces, particularly Connor, Ehlers, Scheifele and Dubois.

Would this work?

Scheifele, Ehlers and a 1st for Eichel, Olofsson, Ristolainen and a 3rd.

Adding Ristolainen — who fills a need and has apparently been a target — opens up some interesting possibilities. Scheifele has a great contract, produces and is exactly the sort of leader this young Sabres group needs. Ehlers is dynamic and also on a good deal. The Sabres get cap space and a lottery ticket. Olofsson is cheaper than Ehlers and a viable roster replacement. The win-now Jets get the best player, create a scary 1-2 young punch in Eichel and Dubois and fill a gaping hole on their blueline at the cost of downgrading on the wing, their strongest position.

Is there a deal to be made with the Jets?

PREVIOUS:

Edited by dudacek

21 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I'd bet he is traded before the next season starts.

No way. Pegula's may be dumb when it comes to hockey, but their not dumb enough to get fleeced again. They'll never get what Jack is worth. If they trade him, they better hang a for sale sign on the front doors of KBC. They've already alienated enough fans. 

Edited by Claude Balls

32 minutes ago, Claude Balls said:

Hate to say it, but I totally agree with you. I was trying to be nice, but you know what?? F**k them!!!

They're arrogant rubes with money. They're capable of massive unending stupidity.

7 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Don't see Winnipeg being remotely interested at all. Moreover I'd bet Jack would hate the deal and he'd force them to trade him for less a year or two later. Now Risto, we might be able to move him there. 

I think Risto is gone, but I think Sam and Jack will still be here next season. 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Don't see Winnipeg being remotely interested at all. Moreover I'd bet Jack would hate the deal and he'd force them to trade him for less a year or two later. Now Risto, we might be able to move him there. 

You don't think Eichel would like to play with Ehlers, KC, Wheeler and making the playoffs every year? It is hard to get players to come here but they like it once they get here.

I agree that Winnipeg (Chevy) probably won't be very interested though.

Edited by Ducky

1 hour ago, Claude Balls said:

I think Risto is gone, but I think Sam and Jack will still be here next season. 

Hope you're wrong. 

1 hour ago, Ducky said:

You don't think Eichel would like to play with Ehlers, KC, Wheeler and making th eplayoffs every year. It is hard to get players to come here but they like it once they get here.

I agree that Winnipeg probably won't be very interested though.

50 below. 

19 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Some of you just need to put up a charity bet like the good ol' days with the level of cocksureness going on regarding trading Eichel.

*****. This was a test to see how the filter works. Turns out it cocksureness is a good, solid workaround.

Edited by Hoss

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Will they be interested?

They could be, although the recent addition of Pierre-Luc Dubois to go with the very good Mark Scheifele means probably not. Plus their needs seem to be more centred around the blueline. That said, the free agent status of Paul Stastny and Matthieu Perreault does open $10 million under the cap up front.

Do they have the pieces?

If you think the return is all about lottery tickets, then probably not. Their top prospect is Cole Perfetti, a projected top six forward with very good skill, but maybe lacking in the other attributes you'd like in a first-liner. He might be a centre, he might not. He's supported by a pretty typical assortment of picks and prospects that might have interest as a throw-in. But if you wanted to make a hockey trade, Winnipeg has some interesting NHL pieces, particularly Connor, Ehlers, Scheifele and Dubois.

Would this work?

Scheifele, Ehlers and a 1st for Eichel, Olofsson, Ristolainen and a 3rd.

Adding Ristolainen — who fills a need and has apparently been a target — opens up some interesting possibilities. Scheifele has a great contract, produces and is exactly the sort of leader this young Sabres group needs. Ehlers is dynamic and also on a good deal. The Sabres get cap space and a lottery ticket. Olofsson is cheaper than Ehlers and a viable roster replacement. The win-now Jets get the best player, create a scary 1-2 young punch in Eichel and Dubois and fill a gaping hole on their blueline at the cost of downgrading on the wing, their strongest position.

Is there a deal to be made with the Jets?

PREVIOUS:

I think the Jets would be interested - any time there's a centre available who's not only better than any centre a team has, but better than any player they have, I think there's interest. Health would be the counter point to this, but for the purposes of discussion have to assume that isn't a big deterrent or no deal is going to get made (or it'll be for pennies on the dollar), and the conversation is pointless. 

I operate under the assumption that the injury concern serves to weaken the return a bit but not torpedo it. Therefore, Scheifele and a 1st seems about right for what we might be able to fetch and is probably a deal I'd do before any or most I've seen mentioned (There is no way Adams does this, ftr, he wants his grab bag of futures).

Once upon a time, we could have had Ehlers for Risto, not the case today. Olofsson, Ristolainen and a 3rd wouldn't be enough for Ehlers, who could be the Jets best player. I doubt they have a willingness to move Ehlers at all tbh, and he's on a great contract (6 mil for another 4 years). Ehlers was basically point-a-game this year. If we really held them over a barrel for Eichel, might be able to pry Ehlers and maybe something like a 2nd for Reinhart and Ristolainen. But that's a big maybe. 

Eichel, Reinhart, Ristolainen, for Scheifele, Ehlers, a 1st and a 2nd

Jets get the best player, but there's a chance we get the most production in one player if Jack's health continues down the path it has. We also get the 2nd best player, and a good draft pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Where does this come from?

We've never heard any suggestions that Jack hates the city of Buffalo. Why would he hate Winnipeg?

We've heard that Jack hates the incompetence of the Sabres organization. The Jets aren't incompetent.

Finally, Jack Eichel is under contract for five more years. Why do people pretend otherwise?

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Where does this come from?

We've never heard any suggestions that Jack hates the city of Buffalo. Why would he hate Winnipeg?

We've heard that Jack hates the incompetence of the Sabres organization. The Jets aren't incompetent.

Finally, Jack Eichel is under contract for five more years. Why do people pretend otherwise?

Even what's spoken about the weather here is largely a myth at this point. Winters are way more mild nowadays aside from a big cold stretch or two every winter, -8 celsius is your average December day time high. Hardly frigid. And our summers and falls are among the best one will find - I think we used to have the record for the biggest discrepancy between our winters and summer temperatures, but I can't see that being the case anymore with how much more mild the winters are of late. Not sure about the greater Buffalo area but if city life matters to Jack, Winnipeg is actually about 3 times the population of Buffalo. 

A couple of thoughts

1) Anyone trading for Jack will have the same problem we have if he doesn't want top be there such as WPG.  Given his NMC clause kicks in after next season and his current injury situation it's almost like he NMC is already in effect.  KA, if he wants to trade him, is going to have to find some place Jack is a good fit hockey wise, who has the assets we want/need for Jack, and is willing to take on the cap and injury risk.  Trade him to SJ to play with his buddy Kane.  Good luck KA.

2) May I suggest therefore we limit these threads to teams where at least Jack may want to go.  

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

A couple of thoughts

1) Anyone trading for Jack will have the same problem we have if he doesn't want top be there such as WPG.  Given his NMC clause kicks in after next season and his current injury situation it's almost like he NMC is already in effect.  KA, if he wants to trade him, is going to have to find some place Jack is a good fit hockey wise, who has the assets we want/need for Jack, and is willing to take on the cap and injury risk.  Trade him to SJ to play with his buddy Kane.  Good luck KA.

2) May I suggest therefore we limit these threads to teams where at least Jack may want to go.  

I don’t think we have evidence that Jack hates small cities and demands to go to a large market.  What he doesn’t like about the Sabres is that they are a bad organization that doesn’t win.  I have no reason to believe that Jack wouldn’t plenty happy in a small market with a good hockey team.

If you have some evidence to the contrary, please offer it up.

From a discussion in another thread:

Eichel for Connor, Copp, and Perfetti.  Who says no?

51 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t think we have evidence that Jack hates small cities and demands to go to a large market.  What he doesn’t like about the Sabres is that they are a bad organization that doesn’t win.  I have no reason to believe that Jack wouldn’t plenty happy in a small market with a good hockey team.

Me. I’m not that big on Connor, watching him a lot here. Much more interested in Scheifele and or Ehlers

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I never said no small cities.  I’m sure Jack would be happy in Nashville for example.  He’d be happy here if we had a decent club.

What I said was good teams that can afford Jack cap wise, are a good fit hockey wise and have assets/prospects we want.  That is a very short list and WPG isn’t on it.  It’s not a great fit hockey wise and no I don’t like the deal you are listing. 

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I never said no small cities.  I’m sure Jack would be happy in Nashville for example.  He’d be happy here if we had a decent club.

What I said was good teams that can afford Jack cap wise, are a good fit hockey wise and have assets/prospects we want.  That is a very short list and WPG isn’t on it.  It’s not a great fit hockey wise and no I don’t like the deal you are listing. 

Fair enough.  I think it depends on what type of deal the Sabres are looking to make.  Would they make a deal that returns a good established, but still young NHL player?

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who makes that determination? You?

No, I think the threads are just fine the way they are. IF or UNTIL Eichel gets traded, go thru every single team one thread at a time like @dudacek has been. If you think it’s a waste of time to discuss a certain destination, it’s cool, no problem. Avoid the thread. Problem for you solved 👍🏼 Heck, There are threads I avoid for various reasons. 

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Would you be more receptive to a trade to the Rangers for LaFreniere, Kakko and a high end prospect who potentially would be ready for the NHL in a year or two? I would. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.