IF the Sabres trade Jack and Sam...

LabattBlue

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

Neither Bedard or Michkov are in the 2022 draft 

Sorry... I meant that without Eichel and Sam (and goaltending), we'd surely be looking at last place in 2022 which is the Wright draft... Then the same team with rookie Wright would still suck and set us up for 2023.

17 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Sorry... I meant that without Eichel and Sam (and goaltending), we'd surely be looking at last place in 2022 which is the Wright draft... Then the same team with rookie Wright would still suck and set us up for 2023.

We will not be dead last without them if we hire the right coach and do this the right way finally. There is enough youth to build off of (adding the trade pieces of course). 

The problem left will be Skinner. That could be an anchor . 

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Would moving Jack and Sam in the off-season, be as big or even bigger than the 2011 off-season when the Flyers moved both Richards and Carter?

I think it would have to be up there.  Richards/Carter was probably bigger because Philly was a really, really good team at the time of the trade (if my memory is accurate).

Not gonna lie.  This is all very intriguing to me.  I don't need a star coming back for Jack if I can fill 2-3 holes (including 1C) with very good players.  I'm actually more concerned about how we replace Sam.  At minimum we'll have a hole at 1RW and I don't think we get a 1RW back.  What would be the point of the team picking Sam up, right? 

Weird that a Sam trade would be more concerning to me.

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I think it would have to be up there.  Richards/Carter was probably bigger because Philly was a really, really good team at the time of the trade (if my memory is accurate).

Not gonna lie.  This is all very intriguing to me.  I don't need a star coming back for Jack if I can fill 2-3 holes (including 1C) with very good players.  I'm actually more concerned about how we replace Sam.  At minimum we'll have a hole at 1RW and I don't think we get a 1RW back.  What would be the point of the team picking Sam up, right? 

Weird that a Sam trade would be more concerning to me.

Getting a 1C back from Jack is easier than getting a 1RW back for Reinhart?

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Getting a 1C back from Jack is easier than getting a 1RW back for Reinhart?

I'm envisioning a trade with a team that wants to upgrade 1C, so yes, we get their 1C plus for our 1C.

I don't see a swap of RW's as the likely trade for Sam.  I don't know why.  Unless it would be a mutual change of scenery thing.  Otherwise I feel like we move our 1RW and get something else back and we now have a 1RW hole to fill.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

I'm envisioning a trade with a team that wants to upgrade 1C, so yes, we get their 1C plus for our 1C.

I don't see a swap of RW's as the likely trade for Sam.  I don't know why.  Unless it would be a mutual change of scenery thing.  Otherwise I feel like we move our 1RW and get something else back and we now have a 1RW hole to fill.

I called the Rangers trade today before Jack's conference, actually. 

It'll be something like Buchnevich, Chytil, a couple prospects and picks. 

Buch is a 1RW and will fill in for Sam as he'll be at C. He'll be the best player in the deal, and they'll count on Chytil, and the futures to make up the gap in time

*this assumes we keep Sam

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

I feel doubtful that an established 1C with any youth or term will be part of the return.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

You have Wright and Lambert to draft first 

Who is  Considered the next Sidney Crosby

http://stevenpellis.com/the-2022-nhl-draft-is-going-to-be-wicked/

The next one? Shane Wright has the intangibles - and shot - of a generational star

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1981511/amp

Generational.....the only thing generational about Jack and Dahlin is that in my mind, they were the most overhyped "generational" talents in history. The hype was so overblown and the whole tank has finally revealed itself for what it truly was....a generational sized destruction of a once proud franchise.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

I called the Rangers trade today before Jack's conference, actually. 

It'll be something like Buchnevich, Chytil, a couple prospects and picks. 

Buch is a 1RW and will fill in for Sam as he'll be at C. He'll be the best player in the deal, and they'll count on Chytil, and the futures to make up the gap in time

My gut tells me if Jack goes, Sam goes too, so we'll still need that 1C.

In a classic, something for now and something for later trade it might look more like Zibanejad and LaFreinere plus.

Or how about a blockbuster where Jack AND Sam go to the Rags?  What would that look like?

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

I feel doubtful that an established 1C with any youth or term will be part of the return.

Mid career 1C, not youth.

Just now, Weave said:

My gut tells me if Jack goes, Sam goes too, so we'll still need that 1C.

In a classic, something for now and something for later trade it might look more like Zibanejad and LaFreinere plus.

Or how about a blockbuster where Jack AND Sam go to the Rags?  What would that look like?

Lafreniere isn't going to happen. People should lower their expectations

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

So, Zibanijad, Buchnevich, does that work?  I realize term isn't on our side with Z.  Don't know about Buchnevich.  Can we make a win-win with those two as the base?

Buch is an RFA. Ya Mika would probably be a rental.

But a rental that looks like Jake Gyllenhaal. So. 

1 hour ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Depends completely on what you get back for them.  
I do think Adam’s has to start making some calls on Eichel, Samson and Risto right away.  
If I was going to bet , I doubt they get a decent offer for any of them and they will all be back come October 

19 minutes ago, Weave said:

So, Zibanijad, Buchnevich, does that work?  I realize term isn't on our side with Z.  Don't know about Buchnevich.  Can we make a win-win with those two as the base?

No. I’m not taking any possible rentals or risks here. I need all the pieces involved (aside from contracts to make the money work) to be long-term pieces. At least three years of control.

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

Nope, not sending him to the Rangers, end of story.

What does this accomplish?  You don’t actually get a vote.

28 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Lafreniere isn't going to happen. People should lower their expectations

You think for sure?  Why?

1 minute ago, Curt said:

What does this accomplish?  You don’t actually get a vote.

You think for sure?  Why?

At the end of the day, I refuse to let NYC steal more from Buffalo. Not to mention the endless torment we'll get from Rangers fans and the implications of our former 1C poaching our newer 1C

2 minutes ago, Hoss said:

No. I’m not taking any possible rentals or risks here. I need all the pieces involved (aside from contracts to make the money work) to be long-term pieces. At least three years of control.

I think the "plus" assets that go with it determine how much stomach I have for a 1-2 season player.

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

At the end of the day, I refuse to let NYC steal more from Buffalo. Not to mention the endless torment we'll get from Rangers fans and the implications of our former 1C poaching our newer 1C

You have a weird, I'll cut my nose off to spite my face outlook regarding this.  Take the best deal and maximize the Sabres benefits, not accept a lesser deal so team X doesn't get my player.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Nope, not sending him to the Rangers, end of story.

If it was up to me, I'd look for a one-for-one. We take a hit for the sins of the organization, as the player we get back won't be as good, but it allows us to field a competitive team, still, and if the organization has learned from their mistakes and has a great offseason, rather than taking a step back to rebuild, fans may be able to live with, say, Mark Scheifele lined up at 1C instead of Jack. Call up Winnipeg and ask them for that deal, they probably say yes. 

To me, that's much preferable to a grab bag of "maybes", prospects and picks. We'd be getting a true 1C back. Make them take Risto, too, and add Morrissey, a player who looked really good, but took a step back. Maybe make up some ground, there. 

Eichel Risto for Scheifele Morrissey

Keep Sam, or make it a huge blockbuster and switch him with one of their wingers.