IF the Sabres trade Jack and Sam...

LabattBlue

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

I think the "plus" assets that go with it determine how much stomach I have for a 1-2 season player.

This team can’t afford to give away a portion of Eichel’s value for someone who is more likely than not to walk in a year or two. It’d be a total loss. Sure, you could do yet another trade with that player down the road but is that really the road we want to keep going down?

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

What does this accomplish?  You don’t actually get a vote.

You think for sure?  Why?

Because for them he's still a mystery box. Ie - his ceiling is what they feel they are trading 

14 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

At the end of the day, I refuse to let NYC steal more from Buffalo. Not to mention the endless torment we'll get from Rangers fans and the implications of our former 1C poaching our newer 1C

I mean, I understand reasons you might feel this way, though I personally do not care at all what Rangers fans say, but people are discussing potential trade returns from the Rangers.  You countering their posts by saying “Nope, I’m not trading him to the Rangers!” doesn’t really add a lot to their conversation.

Edited by Curt

Just now, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Put yourself in another team's shoes.  What are you giving up for a player with a neck injury that may or may not ever be fixed to a degree where it's not impactful?

You need two teams who think it's likely enough he'll be fine that they bid against eachother 

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Because for them he's still a mystery box. Ie - his ceiling is what they feel they are trading 

So do you think all of Lafrenierre, Kakko, Chytil, Kratsov, Miller would be off the table?

3 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

So which GM is going to bet his career on Jack Eichel's neck by giving away the sorts of things that we are talking about?  I said career, not job, because that's what would be on the line.

We are going to take a hit on the trade. I said to prepare for that. 

My point is that you are underrating how good Jack is. People continually forget. Jack last year is a bonafide superstar, superstar level player. We've had so much off time, and then he got hurt - Jack was *phenomenal* last year.

There will be teams. Jack says he'll be ok after surgery. When teams trade for players from the Sabres, they assume that player's talents will look better away from our tire fire - I don't see why they won't think they same about getting Jack under their own doctors. 

In light of how bad he made them look 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

No I included Chytil in my proposal 

Sorry, too many posts, you think the others would be off the table?

Personally, I think that an Eichel trade would still include another teams elite prospect, then maybe a stop gap roster player, and pick or two.

1 minute ago, Curt said:

Sorry, too many posts, you think the others would be off the table?

Personally, I think that an Eichel trade would still include another teams elite prospect, then maybe a stop gap roster player, and pick or two.

My guess is Laf & Kakk would be, ya

15 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I’d bet Kappo wouldn’t even be part of their offer 

You think Buffalo won’t even be able to get an elite/very high end prospect for Eichel.  There would be more than one team trying to acquire him.  They will actually be bidding against each other.

Image Chris Drury trying to explain to James Dolan that they can’t acquire Eichel because they just can’t part with Kakko.  I have a hard time picturing that, and picturing Drury also keeping his job.

• Thanks (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

I legitimately don't care. Trade him. Now. Tomorrow. Never. Do whatever. Whatever they do will be wrong. It makes no difference.

Generally if a player doesn't want to be on my team I don't want him to be there. 

The return frankly is irrelevant.  Boston traded Thornton for nothing in 2005, Kessel for picks in 2009, and won a Cup in 2011.  Then they traded Seguin (who they picked with one of the Kessel picks in 2010) and Hamilton (who they picked with another Kessel pick in 2011) away for almost nothing and made the Cup final again in 2018-19.   That's 4 players moved out that would make each of us clutch our pearls.  They lost 3 of the 4 deals by a wide margin and it didn't matter. The one trade they did well in netted two of the players they then later gave away.

This is funny, but it’s basically true.  If you build a quality organization, it can withstand quite a few bad moves and bounce back because the underlying principles guiding the ship are yielding positive results.

I like the comment about us being last with our core now. That’s 100% correct. And I’ll say this. I’m sure it sucks losing g but km sure it doesn’t suck cashing in $9 million a season. So while this team may have made many many mistakes, Jack was supposed to be enough to make this team a contender. And he had some good pieces with him so let’s not say he didn’t.

Simply put, he’s not even close to being as good as McDavid and Samson is nowhere near as good as Draisital.

If they don’t want to play here anymore, too bad. Especially Jack. I go back and forth on both of them. Sam can and will leave after one more year but Jack is on the books for a long time. And this team has paid him a ton, so maybe he needs to earn his money wh cuz he didn’t this year that is for certain.  And if he demands out after his clause changes to his teams only, screw him and let him stay or sit. I’m frustrated with the terrible ownership and front offfice but it really irks me when a kid whines about playing a game where he makes $9 million. Jack and Sam have a lot to do with this team not being good enough whether they like it or not. A real pro stays (Jack got the long term deal! and is the difference and is there for the turn around. 

4 minutes ago, rickshaw said:

I like the comment about us being last with our core now. That’s 100% correct. And I’ll say this. I’m sure it sucks losing g but km sure it doesn’t suck cashing in $9 million a season. So while this team may have made many many mistakes, Jack was supposed to be enough to make this team a contender. And he had some good pieces with him so let’s not say he didn’t.

Simply put, he’s not even close to being as good as McDavid and Samson is nowhere near as good as Draisital.

If they don’t want to play here anymore, too bad. Especially Jack. I go back and forth on both of them. Sam can and will leave after one more year but Jack is on the books for a long time. And this team has paid him a ton, so maybe he needs to earn his money wh cuz he didn’t this year that is for certain.  And if he demands out after his clause changes to his teams only, screw him and let him stay or sit. I’m frustrated with the terrible ownership and front offfice but it really irks me when a kid whines about playing a game where he makes $9 million. Jack and Sam have a lot to do with this team not being good enough whether they like it or not. A real pro stays (Jack got the long term deal! and is the difference and is there for the turn around. 

Wow, a lot in here.  I’m just going to list them.

- It’s $10M not 9

- one player can’t make a team a contender, NHL hockey doesn’t work like that.

-Not being as good as McDavid and Draisitl is not an insult.

-Jack has the leverage to force a trade in the form of the negative attention he can attract.

-Jack was seriously injured this season, multiple injuries actually, so it’s no wonder he didn’t earn his money.

-In your opinion, what is it that Jack and Sam have done that has held the team back?

2 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Who would do Zegras and a non lottery protected 1st for Eichel?

I would try to get at least another good pick or prospect out of it.  I would probably take on a 1-2 year salary dump type of player to make it work.

59 minutes ago, Curt said:

I mean, I understand reasons you might feel this way, though I personally do not care at all what Rangers fans say, but people are discussing potential trade returns from the Rangers.  You countering their posts by saying “Nope, I’m not trading him to the Rangers!” doesn’t really add a lot to their conversation.

It ain’t just NYC, I’m north of Albany and am surrounded by Rags fans. I for one definitely don’t want to see him play for NYR I’ll never hear the end of it. 

2 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

It ain’t just NYC, I’m north of Albany and am surrounded by Rags fans. I for one definitely don’t want to see him play for NYR I’ll never hear the end of it. 

I’m Albany area too!!!  I literally don’t care what other people say, that’s kind of just me though.  As long as Buffalo remains terrible, the Sabres will be an instrument of public shame, whether Eichel is a part of the taunt or not, that’s just how it goes.

• Like (+1) 1

I see some are crapping on Eichel and Reinhart around the threads. Some were always, shall we say, skeptical of one or both, some are just now a bit emotional.

I have 0 problems with either one wanting out, Risto to. They're competitors and to some extent they've been dealt a raw hand here in Buffalo, with this ownership group. Yes, I am pointing at ownership, "Hey, Terry and Kim, stop this nonsense and get your ***** together. You did it for the Bills, whatever guidance your getting, or, if your making these management decisions solo, knock it off."

There, I feel much better now.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

I would, he looked great in the World Juniors last year. Long Island kid too.

Whoa really? I’m in Ballston right next to Clifton Park.

Ha, I’m in Albany but actually working in Ballston Spa now.

• Like (+1) 1

Realistically they should move Jack, Sam and Risto but part of me feels like these guys should want to fix this and they shouldn’t move them. I’m all over the place. 

But we can’t be much worse by moving them. They’ve clearly not been good enough as a core to push them to the playoffs. And they can say what they want but they were paid big $ and didn’t get it done and nobody can sugarcoat that, especially them. 

4 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

You have Wright and Lambert to draft first 

Who is  Considered the next Sidney Crosby

http://stevenpellis.com/the-2022-nhl-draft-is-going-to-be-wicked/

The next one? Shane Wright has the intangibles - and shot - of a generational star

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1981511/amp

So tired of acquiring future stars.  I want stars NOW.

• Like (+1) 1