Sabres Trade Taylor Hall (50% of His Salary Retained)and Curtis Lazar to Boston for a 2021 2nd and Anders Bjork

Brawndo

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Adams is to blame for the Hall return. He should have held his ground when Hall said he wanted Boston and he should have held his ground with Boston. When Hall got his no movement clause Adams should have said "look you may still get traded at the deadline, give me a list of 5 teams." Adams should have asked for that before the deadline and then negotiate. I would have called Hall's bluff. Boston isn't offering enough so it is off the table you can go here or here OR you can stay in Buffalo for the remainder of the year without Eichel as your center. Your call Taylor. Adams showed he was a rookie gm without the poker skills to play. 

Adams let Hall drive the Sabres organization instead of being the General Manager. 

I also think it's a valid point.  The thing to also consider is that perhaps the team would be happier of Taylor Hall were not around. I think we've some indication that Adams was willing to move him elsewhere and that Hall was going to block anything. I am sure teammates also look at that kind of selfishness and draw conclusions. Sure, Hall has that right, and I suppose if he had made a difference to the team they might support it more but basically I look at Hall as a guy who used his relationship with a coach that is no longer here to get an $8M deal and then do nothing.  He then further held that over the organizations head.  As a teammate I'd want that turd blossom off the team regardless.

The other potential aspect is as Tom says.. players might be put off by that hardball approach. Granted I think it's fair to say it would only be returning the favor to Hall who was clearly playing his own game.

Bottom line, I wrap this all up and put it behind me at this point.  The book on Adams will be written going into next season.  He's hiring the front office, he's hiring the coach, he's overseeing all of the inputs. Given the influencing ability many attributed to Krueger last year I'm still holding off final judgment of Adams.  That said, he better damn well knock it out of the park at this point.

Edited by LTS
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, LTS said:

I also think it's a valid point.  The thing to also consider is that perhaps the team would be happier of Taylor Hall were not around. I think we've some indication that Adams was willing to move him elsewhere and that Hall was going to block anything. I am sure teammates also look at that kind of selfishness and draw conclusions. Sure, Hall has that right, and I suppose if he had made a difference to the team they might support it more but basically I look at Hall as a guy who used his relationship with a coach that is no longer here to get an $8M deal and then do nothing.  He then further held that over the organizations head.  As a teammate I'd want that turd blossom off the team regardless.

The other potential aspect is as Tom says.. players might be put off by that hardball approach. Granted I think it's fair to say it would only be returning the favor to Hall who was clearly playing his own game.

Bottom line, I wrap this all up and put it behind me at this point.  The book on Adams will be written going into next season.  He's hiring the front office, he's hiring the coach, he's overseeing all of the inputs. Given the influencing ability many attributed to Krueger last year I'm still holding off final judgment of Adams.  That said, he better damn well knock it out of the park at this point.

We're the last place team in the league and had an 18 game losing streak. I don't give a ***** anymore about what the players want and Adams allowing them to run the ship is a reason we will continue to be cellar dwellers. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

We're the last place team in the league and had an 18 game losing streak. I don't give a ***** anymore about what the players want and Adams allowing them to run the ship is a reason we will continue to be cellar dwellers. 

Well you, as a fan, get to be emotional about it.  The GM has to manage those relationships.  If Adams goes around operating like the players opinions don't matter it will only make his job that much harder. It's a business without a doubt, but you treat your employees poorly and they leave and you get a reputation as a person or organization to avoid because they don't care about you.

What happens to the players on the team if they don't like the GM?  They stop playing.  If the team doesn't care about them then why should they care about the team?  Because they are getting paid?  They get paid either way.  Sure, they want to win, but if they believe they can't win with the Sabres then they'll mail it in, collect the paycheck and pray they get traded, anywhere.  Every pending UFA will opt to leave, if they are a valued asset elsewhere, and the Sabres will continue to be left with players who only choose to be in Buffalo because it's better than not being in the NHL.

I fail to see how ignoring the players ends up in a good place.

• Like (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, LTS said:

Well you, as a fan, get to be emotional about it.  The GM has to manage those relationships.  If Adams goes around operating like the players opinions don't matter it will only make his job that much harder. It's a business without a doubt, but you treat your employees poorly and they leave and you get a reputation as a person or organization to avoid because they don't care about you.

What happens to the players on the team if they don't like the GM?  They stop playing.  If the team doesn't care about them then why should they care about the team?  Because they are getting paid?  They get paid either way.  Sure, they want to win, but if they believe they can't win with the Sabres then they'll mail it in, collect the paycheck and pray they get traded, anywhere.  Every pending UFA will opt to leave, if they are a valued asset elsewhere, and the Sabres will continue to be left with players who only choose to be in Buffalo because it's better than not being in the NHL.

I fail to see how ignoring the players ends up in a good place.

Not we just have a reputation as a pushover org that will pay you tons of money and allow you to dictate your trade terms. Woo. 

I fail to see how allowing the players to dictate trades ends up in a good place. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Not we just have a reputation as a pushover org that will pay you tons of money and allow you to dictate your trade terms. Woo. 

I fail to see how allowing the players to dictate trades ends up in a good place. 

Every team in the league allows teams to dictate trades. The only question is whether it was appropriate in this situation.

This is more a knock against giving NMCs themselves than the trade Adams made. Because that is why an NMC exists.

Also if you want to see how allowing players to dictate trades can end up in a good place, look no further than the Tampa Bay Lightning and the cheap contracts NMCs bought them.

Just now, dudacek said:

This is more a knock against giving NMCs themselves than the trade Adams made. Because that is why an NMC exists.

Also if you want to see how allowing players to dictate trades can end up in a good place, look no further than the Tampa Bay Lightning and the cheap contracts NMCs bought them.

Oh yea, I remember how Hall got his NMC and gave the Sabres a contract discount... wait

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

So we agree.

No we don't. Hall screwed us over. We gave him the most money and got nothing for it other than being screwed. Worse team in the league allowing the players to dictate trades is ***** stupid. ***** stupid. 

Can't wait until Eichel wants out and we trade him to the Rangers for tickets to the off Broadway production of Rent and a 3rd rounder. 

Edited by LGR4GM

No we don't. Hall screwed us over. We gave him the most money and got nothing for it other than being screwed. Worse team in the league allowing the players to dictate trades is ***** stupid. ***** stupid. 

Can't wait until Eichel wants out and we trade him to the Rangers for tickets to the off Broadway production of Rent and a 3rd rounder. 

The amusing thing is all this hand wringing and angst could be over a pick 27-31 versus 44-50. You know the stats better then anyone when it comes to probability of hitting on that pick. 

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No we don't. Hall screwed us over. We gave him the most money and got nothing except a 2nd-rounder for it other than being screwed. Worse team in the league allowing the players to dictate trades is ***** stupid. ***** stupid.

So we almost agree. 😀

There were 2 teams that offered a 1st for Hall. 

I've read the Islanders, then they pulled that off the table when the Devils added Zajac to their deal.

And I've read that it was Vegas with the "better" offer, but I haven't heard it included a first.

What have you heard and where?

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

I've read the Islanders, then they pulled that off the table when the Devils added Zajac to their deal.

And I've read that it was Vegas with the "better" offer, but I haven't heard it included a first.

What have you heard and where?

The Islanders definitely did not. Rumor is Vegas and Colorado.

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So two teams clearly better than Boston. Taylor Hall is an idiot.

Hall wants to blend in. He has no desire to be a focal point. It shows in his game. Like I said, two teams that would likely yield pick 27-31. Boston could miss the playoffs and their second round pick could be 46-50.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Adams is to blame for the Hall return. He should have held his ground when Hall said he wanted Boston and he should have held his ground with Boston. When Hall got his no movement clause Adams should have said "look you may still get traded at the deadline, give me a list of 5 teams." Adams should have asked for that before the deadline and then negotiate. I would have called Hall's bluff. Boston isn't offering enough so it is off the table you can go here or here OR you can stay in Buffalo for the remainder of the year without Eichel as your center. Your call Taylor. Adams showed he was a rookie gm without the poker skills to play

Adams let Hall drive the Sabres organization instead of being the General Manager. 

Unless he slow played it. 

If Bjork ends up a top 6 winger, is an expiring Hall with two goals for a 2nd and a t6 wing the best trade a Sabres GM has made since.......?

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

That's a big if. Also that's found money

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

Steve Bernier looked great (for 1 game) too right after a trade. 😉

But it would be nice if he could actually show he was misused in Bah-stan.

Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

how bout after that shot

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Steve Bernier looked great (for 1 game) too right after a trade. 😉

But it would be nice if he could actually show he was misused in Bah-stan.

I was at that Steve Bernier game. There was a mad rush in between periods to buy one of the very few jerseys they had for the game. Thankfully they were sold out by the time I got there or else I would have bought one too 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Cal Naughton Jr said:

I was at that Steve Bernier game. There was a mad rush in between periods to buy one of the very few jerseys they had for the game. Thankfully they were sold out by the time I got there or else I would have bought one too 

I was also at that game. Saw a kid from my high school walking around between periods in one. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.