Sabres Trade Taylor Hall (50% of His Salary Retained)and Curtis Lazar to Boston for a 2021 2nd and Anders Bjork

Brawndo

As the Sabres move on, they do so with a flurry of draft currency but without Jack Eichel.

What does he mean there?  Yes we have draft currency but that can't be used until after this season.  Is he saying Eichel will not be available after this season????

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

What does he mean there?  Yes we have draft currency but that can't be used until after this season.  Is he saying Eichel will not be available after this season????

I think that was just poorly worded.

If anyone is curious: Taylor Hall will wear 71 in Boston. Lazar 20.

50 minutes ago, Hoss said:

I think that was just poorly worded.

If anyone is curious: Taylor Hall will wear 71 in Boston. Lazar 20.

My thinking is Lazar will fit right in with Boston and do well...I am very curious to see how Hall makes out with better support round him. I truly thought he looked finished and not anywhere near the player he was even a few years back but I guess his time with Boston will show us either way. How ironic we play them tonight! I dread Hall scoring two goals and hot-dogging in the process with a "see I am better then you saw and it was all your fault" attitude to the Sabres  

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

I have an irrational feeling that Taylor Hall makes a huge mistake in an important playoff game that costs the Bruins big time, resulting in him being persona non grata in Boston.  He just seems like that kind of guy.

Even better if that mistake costs them a trip to the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

Cite evidence or go home.

Take reading lessons. The word appear is key.

This idea of demanding evidence for opinions people disagree with is getting old. There isn't always evidence. (Except that TP meddled in the Sabres, bigly.)

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SDS said:

Why? Why do you think he was obligated to do something he didn’t want to do and took steps to make sure he didn’t have to do it?

How long's mom gonna be mad at you? Today was the day you guys were going on that eight-hour wine tasting walk and chocolatier visit.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Take reading lessons. The word appear is key.

This idea of demanding evidence for opinions people disagree with is getting old. There isn't always evidence. (Except that TP meddled in the Sabres, bigly.)

Without evidence, opinions are BS.

35 minutes ago, SDS said:

Why? Why do you think he was obligated to do something he didn’t want to do and took steps to make sure he didn’t have to do it?

What if he goes to Boston and looks like an entirely different player?... the player we hoped we were getting?

Are we allowed to hate him then?

3 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

I don’t really understand people’s anger. Hall basically said he would only waive for one team. That team knew it, and is also sitting on the bubble, so didn’t want to go all in.

They offered a third knowing it was take the third or get nothing. They then got slammed by the caps and made it a second.

Yes, this happened because of the NMC. But you have to give those out. Buffalo isn’t seen as the best place to play. As a result the players have the power.

Someone probably takes a discount and no trade protection to play for TB, as they think winning the cup is worth it.

Whereas the Sabres are realistically 2 years minimum from making the playoffs again.

Therefore in order to attract the best talent you have to show you are a good place for players to be - that you will respect and help them in their careers.

Yeah it sucks. But that’s the cost when you haven’t made the playoffs in 10 years and have a dismal future for the next season.

This was a thoughtful and reasonable post.  It has no place on this thread.  SHAME!!!

But for real, Buffalo (and maybe the league) has been way too generous handing out NMC/NMT clauses.  If memory serves me right, which it doesn't always do, when NTCs were introduced they were a way for a team to sign a player for a lower amount; basically the player took a salary discount for a bit of control over where you are going to live and play for the duration of that contract. 

I'm curious if during the next CBA negotiations if owners will look to start placing limitations on these contracts based on years in the league, contract AAV, length of contract, etc in order to start reigning in some of these bad situations GMs have created for themselves.  TP can't feel good today about having to pay Jeff Skinner $9MM in 2026...

25 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

TP can't feel good today about having to pay Jeff Skinner $9MM in 2026...

I’m beating a dead horse here, and I don’t know if Terry or Botts is more to blame, but there is no freakin’ way that they had to give Skinner...term AND a boatload of money AND A full no move clause.  Maybe concede one of these three contract items, but all three of them?  It is going to hurt the team salary structure for the duration.  Stupid, dumb craziness. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, SDS said:

Lol. Please explain how trading an $8M rental player with a full NMC results in an embarrassing trade.

Why would you hold him to only the standard of the bolded when he picked a so much more exciting one in his OP? lol

13 minutes ago, SwampD said:

What if he goes to Boston and looks like an entirely different player?... the player we hoped we were getting?

Are we allowed to hate him then?

Either way I hate him:

1. He purposely sandbagged his game, playing below his ability, forcing a trade.
  2. He's washed up and had no right asking for $8M or expecting top 6 minutes.

49 minutes ago, SDS said:

You're right. He wasn't obligated at all. But you'd like to think he had enough consideration for the Sabres, a team that gave him $8MM for mostly nothing, to help them out and go to the team that was offering the most for his services. LeBrun said he heard a Western team was offering more than the Bruins. Was it Vegas and a 1? We'll never know. But because Hall had to be a Bruin and only a Bruin, not only did the Sabres only get a 2nd, but they had to help the Bruins make room under their cap with the Bjork/Lazar swap. That's another indignity and Adams is getting pilloried for something that out of his control (other than giving Hall the NMC in the first place, but I don't recall anyone here complaining about it last summer.)

The combo of this trade circumstance and the overall performance Hall gave the Sabres doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy toward him.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I, for one, am happy Taylor Hall is providing a convenient target upon which to channel 10 years of pent-up anger and frustration.

When we are bad, we are a car-wreck. Even when we are boring, it's so historically boring that there's a level of interest in how dysfunctional things will get. Justifiably there are threads on this site about this being maybe the lowest point in franchise history, yet even within this putrid season, right here tonight we have IMO a game that represents a must see with Hall being the opponent. 

It's aptitude is forever under scrutiny but the Buffalo Sabres are not a side Character in this story of the NHL, by any means. 

Edited by Thorny

All I can say, is it was a worthwhile gamble, that never was going to work.  If you looked at this team heading into this year, the team core defensive structure was a mess.  Yes, adding a scoring wing was a need, but the problem is so much more morose away from the puck.  We need more Lazar's and Asplunds.  In addition, for the time being Granato has players gelling and he's using a much more fundamental scheme which fits.  Good luck Taylor, you weren't a great Sabre, and with Eichel hurt, you weren't ever going to be.  Good riddance.  As for Lazar, this is the type of player we need on this roster.  Find more of them. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

This was a thoughtful and reasonable post.  It has no place on this thread.  SHAME!!!

But for real, Buffalo (and maybe the league) has been way too generous handing out NMC/NMT clauses.  If memory serves me right, which it doesn't always do, when NTCs were introduced they were a way for a team to sign a player for a lower amount; basically the player took a salary discount for a bit of control over where you are going to live and play for the duration of that contract. 

I'm curious if during the next CBA negotiations if owners will look to start placing limitations on these contracts based on years in the league, contract AAV, length of contract, etc in order to start reigning in some of these bad situations GMs have created for themselves.  TP can't feel good today about having to pay Jeff Skinner $9MM in 2026...

FYI Buffalo only had 3 players under a NMC\/NTC this year: Hall, Skinner and Okposo.  Here's list for the rest of the league: 
https://www.thefourthperiod.com/no-trade-clauses

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.