NHL Trade Deadline Discussion Thread...

LabattBlue

The TDL is about a month away. Let's see what KA and other GM's have up their sleeve.  I hope folks here are not disappointed.  Usually there aren't many(if any) "hockey trades" at the TDL.  Nor do rentals usually fetch an organizations top prospects.  If Montour, Staal, Hall, Reider and others are dealt, be prepared for a combo of picks, and "B" or "C" level prospects.  

18 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The TDL is about a month away. Let's see what KA and other GM's have up their sleeve.  I hope folks here are not disappointed.  Usually there aren't many(if any) "hockey trades" at the TDL.  Nor do rentals usually fetch an organizations top prospects.  If Montour, Staal, Hall, Reider and others are dealt, be prepared for a combo of picks, and "B" or "C" level prospects.  

Sometimes you hit gold with those prospects.  According to some friends of mine in Vancouver (science fiction fandom has a large reach), Mike Peca was a "B" prospect who was projected to be a "feisty fourth liner."

You can hit gold with mid-level players too.  Remember the chortling from the hockey world when the Sabres elevated a "mere supporting player" named Chris Drury to future leader?

That is my hope: the right targets.  The one thing about GMKA's make-up which I like is that he should recognize players like himself.

• Like (+1) 1

The Buffalo Sabres should be Buyers by the "Barter System"

You want that skilled UFA off our roster, pony up a near ready prospect

You want that Reinhart RFA off our roster, pony up position specific roster talent and that prospect

You want that Eichel under 6 more yrs of contract off our roster, stand in the middle of the pentagram, and spin the wheel

On 3/17/2021 at 3:14 PM, Scottysabres said:

The Buffalo Sabres should be Buyers by the "Barter System"

You want that skilled UFA off our roster, pony up a near ready prospect

You want that Reinhart RFA off our roster, pony up position specific roster talent and that prospect

You want that Eichel under 6 more yrs of contract off our roster, stand in the middle of the pentagram, and spin the wheel

Equally however if the Sabres want to deal any of their under performing players they might not have trade partners willing to pony up what you expect. With the injury Eichel won't be moved until the summer if at all. Somebody might gamble on Hall, but Reinhart is the only guy there that'll get you any real value.  I'd definitely trade Montour and Staal but you're not getting much in return. 

• Like (+1) 1

What value do our guys have anyway?

Hall - A 1st and a player.  NBC suggested Hall to Boston for a 1st and DeBrusk.

Staal - a 3rd 

Montour - a 2nd?  A medium prospect? 

Olofsson - maybe a surprise move, but I think he becomes expendable if we get DeBrusk in a trade.  Is he worth a 1st?  Can we get a 1st and a good prospect?  

Who else has any value?  Ullmark?  I doubt he is on the block.  Rieder, Sheahan?  More 6th rd picks?  

If we get a couple of 1sts for Olofsson and Hall, does KA use them to acquire vets to fill holes? Or does he make the picks to rebuild the system? 

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What value do our guys have anyway?

Hall - A 1st and a player.  NBC suggested Hall to Boston for a 1st and DeBrusk.

Staal - a 3rd 

Montour - a 2nd?  A medium prospect? 

Olofsson - maybe a surprise move, but I think he becomes expendable if we get DeBrusk in a trade.  Is he worth a 1st?  Can we get a 1st and a good prospect?  

Who else has any value?  Ullmark?  I doubt he is on the block.  Rieder, Sheahan?  More 6th rd picks?  

If we get a couple of 1sts for Olofsson and Hall, does KA use them to acquire vets to fill holes? Or does he make the picks to rebuild the system? 

Trade them for young players already on the cusp to save time

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t think there will be a ton of moves.  Teams are against the cap. Some teams will be looking for super cheap depth, others for dollar in dollar out type deals.  Who would of thought JJ to the Ave would be the first deal?

I hope Adams looks for some young players ready to step in that bring it every night. They definitely need a goalie.  That is why I would ask Boston for Vladar.  That kid is ready to start in the NHL.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I don’t think there will be a ton of moves.  Teams are against the cap. Some teams will be looking for super cheap depth, others for dollar in dollar out type deals.  Who would of thought JJ to the Ave would be the first deal?

I hope Adams looks for some young players ready to step in that bring it every night. They definitely need a goalie.  That is why I would ask Boston for Vladar.  That kid is ready to start in the NHL.

Interesting goalie idea.  Saw a story today that the Bruins are trying to re-sign both current NHL goalies.  That may mean that he's available.

One general thought, the Sabres could be one of the more active teams both as buyers and sellers.  Sell Montour, Hall and Staal and you are creating over 15 mill in cap space.  While I'm not going to encourage taking bad contracts, we can take a DeBrusk or other similar player to help the team beyond this season.

• Like (+1) 1

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-rumors-sabres-want-4-first-round-picks-for-jack-eichel-181516797.html

Title says it all, 4 1st rd picks for Eichel.  

Stupid to trade him for that and dumb for a team to acquire that for him.  Stupid from our point of view because odds of getting a replacement from the 4 picks are about 10%.  Dumb from their point of view is if they are a contender, losing the 4 picks, even late 1st rd picks destroys their pipeline.

Sabres want 4 assets, OK.  They need to be a top flight prospect or rookie, a decent center to play in the NHL now and two other valuable picks or prospects.  Nothing else is even worth considering.

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-rumors-sabres-want-4-first-round-picks-for-jack-eichel-181516797.html

Stupid to trade him for that and dumb for a team to acquire that for him.  Stupid from our point of view because odds of getting a replacement from the 4 picks are about 10%.  Dumb from their point of view is if they are a contender, losing the 4 picks, even late 1st rd picks destroys their pipeline.

Sabres want 4 assets, OK.  They need to be a top flight prospect or rookie, a decent center to play in the NHL now and two other valuable picks or prospects.  Nothing else is even worth considering.

This is the same rumour being discussed elsewhere and it is not about actual picks, it is about young players who were first round picks and still have that value.

So, Eichel for Cozens, Mitts, Reinhart and Risto. Eichel for Konecny, Sanheim, Provorov and Farabee... etc.

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is the same rumour being discussed elsewhere and it is not about actual picks, it is about young players who were first round picks and still have that value.

So, Eichel for Cozens, Mitts, Reinhart and Risto. Eichel for Konecny, Sanheim, Provorov and Farabee... etc.

I'm a big doubter of any team going to that length to secure Eichel.  

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm a big doubter of any team going to that length to secure Eichel.  

Which might be the point. Maybe Adams has set a value that would make him move the asset to see if anyone will bite.

He probably doesn't want to trade Eichel, and he's not in a position where he has to trade Eichel.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Which might be the point. Maybe Adams has set a value that would make him move the asset to see if anyone will bite.

He probably doesn't want to trade Eichel, and he's not in a position where he has to trade Eichel.

Honestly, sometimes the best deals are ones you don't make.  I wouldn't float Eichel's name out there and allow the media feeding frenzy.  If I were KA, I'd almost make a firm statement that Jack isn't available at any price and say we are committed to getting the right coach and right players around him asap.

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Honestly, sometimes the best deals are ones you don't make.  I wouldn't float Eichel's name out there and allow the media feeding frenzy.  If I were KA, I'd almost make a firm statement that Jack isn't available at any price and say we are committed to getting the right coach and right players around him asap.

Well he did say a weak version of that early, and re-emphasized more clearly later.

And there isn't much he can do if other GMs, agents, editors and TV producers want to keep pushing the agenda.

4 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

This entire article is an editorializing of a 2 min clip on Sportsnet.  Everyone should just listen to that instead of reading that article.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/590/writers-bloc/will-cost-team-extract-jack-eichel-sabres/

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Seems like a good buy low candidate to me. He looked super promising before this past year, has fallen out of favour with coaching staff. 

Teams don’t usually trade the good young players right? I’d be open to a guy like that coming back as part of a UFA deal 

Just now, Thorny said:

Seems like a good buy low candidate to me. He looked super promising before this past year, has fallen out of favour with coaching staff. 

Teams don’t usually trade the good young players right? I’d be open to a guy like that coming back as part of a UFA deal 

Teams don't trade young good players for a draft pick. 

Sure, I would trade a UFA and allow Debrusk to be part of the return but hearing this... worries me. 

If it sounds as if DeBrusk is on his way out of town, that could be the case, but the word is out that he has not been giving 100-percent effort, 100-percent of the time and in the eyes of many scouts and general managers, that is a big mark against the player. Organizations that may have had the intention to at least try to propose a deal for DeBrusk - who has amassed 126 career NHL points in 221 games (0.57 points per game) - might see the scouting reports coming out of Boston and decide to take a pass.

Actually let me rephrase,

Teams don't trade young good players for a draft pick without a reason. Those reasons are, out of favor, cap issues, or in this case expansion draft. So you just need to find a team that fills one of those reasons and you might be able to acquire a good young player for a pick. 

DeBrusk is an interesting question mark. His work ethic in Boston has been questioned, but that's Boston. He's not enough of a "Bruin" for them if you get my meaning. The question would be, would he fit in a more open offensively minded style team and do well or is he a little lazy etc?  Bruins likely want to unload the contract for some other plan they have targeted. Palmeri is one rumour for example. 

He might be worth the gamble as part of a larger deal but I wouldn't risk a lot on him. We need more hard workers not potential floaters. 

Since our season is bust, Adams should look at a Kane type deal maybe. Get an injured guy for next year. In the Bruins case maybe Carlo. Something like that. Adams needs to be creative and think forward and out of the box. 

2 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

DeBrusk is an interesting question mark. His work ethic in Boston has been questioned, but that's Boston. He's not enough of a "Bruin" for them if you get my meaning. The question would be, would he fit in a more open offensively minded style team and do well or is he a little lazy etc?  Bruins likely want to unload the contract for some other plan they have targeted. Palmeri is one rumour for example. 

He might be worth the gamble as part of a larger deal but I wouldn't risk a lot on him. We need more hard workers not potential floaters. 

Since our season is bust, Adams should look at a Kane type deal maybe. Get an injured guy for next year. In the Bruins case maybe Carlo. Something like that. Adams needs to be creative and think forward and out of the box. 

They didn't like Joe Thornton or Tyler Sequin either.

DeBrusk's problem is that he isn't Marchand or Bergeron to of the great give 100% every shift of every game players.  He has certainly struggled this year but he isn't the only one on the Bruins that have struggled to score.   In fact besides the big 3, the remaining forwards have been Sabres-ish this season.  I have zero problem with giving DeBrusk a bigger role here, but he needs a friggin center to play with.  Until that and the goaltending are properly addresses, any other moves are meaningless.

12 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They didn't like Joe Thornton or Tyler Sequin either.

DeBrusk's problem is that he isn't Marchand or Bergeron to of the great give 100% every shift of every game players.  He has certainly struggled this year but he isn't the only one on the Bruins that have struggled to score.   In fact besides the big 3, the remaining forwards have been Sabres-ish this season.  I have zero problem with giving DeBrusk a bigger role here, but he needs a friggin center to play with.  Until that and the goaltending are properly addresses, any other moves are meaningless.

I can't disagree and he's certainly no fix to anything. Centre was and still is a huge issue and has been since the ROR fiasco. If DeBrusk was to be added, there would have to be a number of other moves along with it to make anything look at all promising for the future. 

If Skinner and Hall were scoring the idea of DeBrusk wouldn't even be a thought or consideration. But if the Bruins wanted Hall, would we be happy with DeBrusk plus ? in exchange?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.