So #8

spndnchz

17 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Things I am uninterested in:

1. Trading down from #8.
  2. Selecting a defenseman in the top 8.
  3. Spending player assets that can be used to improve this year's roster to move up in this draft, unless it's an enormous steal.

I definitely agree in principle.  It just depends on the outcome of said "trade".  I'm more on the - trade for assets to improve the team now, but also if they fit a longer term vision than 2-3 years from now.   See: Monahan.

19 hours ago, dudacek said:

Waitaminnit? So LGR is actually a Jets fan doing everything he can to make sure we don't take Sanderson?

Sure am. As long as you take Seth Jarvis that is what I am here for.

The more I watch on Jarvis the more it is him or Rossi for me at 8. There's just a tenacity about the kid. Good motor, good shot, great skating, good stickhandling. I really don't know what there is not to like about him. 

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Sure am. As long as you take Seth Jarvis that is what I am here for.

The more I watch on Jarvis the more it is him or Rossi for me at 8. There's just a tenacity about the kid. Good motor, good shot, great skating, good stickhandling. I really don't know what there is not to like about him. 

Your sales pitch for Jarvis had me looking at his stats. 1.69 pts per game is a pretty big jump from his first year (.64). That is impressive. A comparable player in my opinion is Brayden Point. They are both the same height, weight class, WHL guys and right handed forwards.

Point’s first WHL season was better, .85 ppg but his second season (1.26) was not as good as Jarvis’. Point improved every year but did not beat Jarvis’ 2nd year numbers until his 4th season (1.83).

If Rossi is not there I would not be upset with Jarvis. Most mocks have him in the teens but there are a lot of guys that slide in either direction all of the time.

Point was drafted 79th, he proved a lot of people wrong.

Edited by French Collection
  • Like (+1) 1

Because I love all y'all... I have watched all of these, some multiple times. My take away is that Holtz carries the most danger. He has skills no doubt but he isn't the chaos guy and is primarily sliding into spot for oppurtunities. Holtz is playing against men as a winger so that actually makes some sense just something to keep in mind. 

Lundell, again this guy has some wonky skating and his overall set of skills is questionable. I will say his positioning is great and I think his passing is underrated. His shot is good. 

Rossi... what more is there to say. He creates turnovers, plays off his teammates, constantly goes to the slot, seems to not give a ***** about engaging physically, backchecks. His shot is good, his passing is good, his skating is good. If he was 6' instead of 5'9" there would be no doubts from ppl and he would be talked about in the top 4. 

Jarvis, my underrated little ball of points. Granted he scores a boatload in that game and so we have to temper ourselves. That said what he does well is backcheck (there's a play where he comes from below the goal-line to get back on a break, his skating is excellent, his passing is underrated (he's clever), and his overall on ice attitude is very good. I think his shot should be talked about more often. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I have no hate for Sanderson. I just think a defender like him can be had outside of the top 10 pretty regularly in NHL drafts. 

I honestly think he might go before 8.

He is the 2nd best D man in the draft and teams are looking for them. If Drysdale is gone (probably) by the time the Ducks pick, they might take him.

4 minutes ago, Ducky said:

I honestly think he might go before 8.

He is the 2nd best D man in the draft and teams are looking for them. If Drysdale is gone (probably) by the time the Ducks pick, they might take him.

If Ottawa takes Drysdale, I can see a scenario where Anaheim takes Sanderson which is fine because that leaves more options. 

8 hours ago, Ducky said:

Why all the hate for Sanderson or is it you guys just don't want to draft a D man with 8?

It's mostly this.

8 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

He's not better than the forwards who will be available. 

With a good bit of this sprinkled in.

This year's forward crop is particularly strong.  It's considered so strong that it really gives the value of this year's #8 pick a boost over other years.  This makes it somewhat enticing to keep the pick.  However, we want to accelerate the team's performance improvement, as most of us are tired of losing/rebuilding at the cost of years of Jack Eichel's career.  Defensemen take longer to develop and any that aren't Dahlin will likely take one to four years to develop into being NHL-ready.  Some of the forwards potentially available at #8 this year are strong enough to play in the NHL next year, a somewhat unusual occurence for players drafted at #8.

Edited by IKnowPhysics
  • Like (+1) 1

On 8/26/2020 at 9:49 AM, TheCerebral1 said:

If they draft a forward at #8, and can move back into the draft to get Sanderson, then it's a boon and a win.  However, taking Sanderson at 8, will be disappointing to me. 

imo Sanderson is the third best player available in this draft. Not drafting him will be akin to taking Nylander and not McAvoy.  Now the forward we take might be better than Nylander, but Dahlin, Jokiharju, Sanderson, all young we would have the envy of the league D core in a few years. Draft him and trade the other D men we have now for that 2C etc. 

14 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

imo Sanderson is the third best player available in this draft. Not drafting him will be akin to taking Nylander and not McAvoy.  Now the forward we take might be better than Nylander, but Dahlin, Jokiharju, Sanderson, all young we would have the envy of the league D core in a few years. Draft him and trade the other D men we have now for that 2C etc. 

Who are the 2 best players in the draft, or how about your top 5?

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Who are the 2 best players in the draft, or how about your top 5?

Lafreniere, Byfield (who might be the better player not sure), Sanderson, Stuetzle, Rossi. 

I'd have Drysdale in there if he was a little bigger. Raymond, Holtz and Perfetti (sounds like a law firm lol) are all about equal to me and I suspect we get one of them. Should be a decent player but probably not for a few years. If it was Drysdale left at 8 I'd probably take one of the forwards left instead. 

Sanderson imo will develop into a complete big minutes D man. Shutdown potential most of our guys don't have. Players like that make your goalies look good and let your forwards think offense. But hey, I could be wrong. With these kids you never really know. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Because I love all y'all... I have watched all of these, some multiple times. My take away is that Holtz carries the most danger. He has skills no doubt but he isn't the chaos guy and is primarily sliding into spot for oppurtunities. Holtz is playing against men as a winger so that actually makes some sense just something to keep in mind. 

Lundell, again this guy has some wonky skating and his overall set of skills is questionable. I will say his positioning is great and I think his passing is underrated. His shot is good. 

Rossi... what more is there to say. He creates turnovers, plays off his teammates, constantly goes to the slot, seems to not give a ***** about engaging physically, backchecks. His shot is good, his passing is good, his skating is good. If he was 6' instead of 5'9" there would be no doubts from ppl and he would be talked about in the top 4. 

Jarvis, my underrated little ball of points. Granted he scores a boatload in that game and so we have to temper ourselves. That said what he does well is backcheck (there's a play where he comes from below the goal-line to get back on a break, his skating is excellent, his passing is underrated (he's clever), and his overall on ice attitude is very good. I think his shot should be talked about more often. 

A huge thanks to you for posting those clips. I can't wait to watch them!

• Like (+1) 1

There's a mature calmness to Rossi that I like but I will say after re-watching that again, I understand the skating thing that comes up. He's speedy but not blazing fast, personally I am not worried because he is very quick and his top end speed is above NHL average. Most NHL races are short and I think Rossi will win a lot of those. 

Thanks for posting these.

I find Rossi, I guess,... underwhelming. I get he scores a lot, but it seems like his teammates create as much or more than he does.

Reminds me of Connor Sheary. I don’t want Connor Sheary at 8.

And you are right about Lundell’s skating. It’s really weird. His edge work around the net and boards is really nice, but when he tries to get that straight line speed, oof. It almost looks like he could skate faster backwards.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Thanks for posting these.

I find Rossi, I guess,... underwhelming. I get he scores a lot, but it seems like his teammates create as much or more than he does.

Reminds me of Connor Sheary. I don’t want Connor Sheary at 8.

And you are right about Lundell’s skating. It’s really weird. His edge work around the net and boards is really nice, but when he tries to get that straight line speed, oof. It almost looks like he could skate faster backwards.

I will say from watching those shift by shifts a few times, I came away far more impressed by Jarvis. He seemed to be always the one creating the chaos that turned into the offense. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.