Jump to content

OT: The Gardening Thread


Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, SwampD said:

Finally killed the chipmunks burrowing into my foundation.

Unfortunately, my basement now smells like death,... and probably will for a while.

Embrace the stench.  It'll send a message to any other rat bastards not to ***** with you.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Got my Plumeria cutting in the mail.  Leaves fell off as anticipated but new foliage growth within a few days after repotting.  Unlikely to bloom this year but should get some nice flowering next season.

IMG_20200724_205941061.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/24/2020 at 9:08 PM, Indabuff said:

Got my Plumeria cutting in the mail.  Leaves fell off as anticipated but new foliage growth within a few days after repotting.  Unlikely to bloom this year but should get some nice flowering next season.

IMG_20200724_205941061.jpg

Don’t those suckers lure the ants? Made that mistake once with peonies outside the kitchen window. 
 

Also. JFC. Is that your hot tub?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m tired of the disjointed bag of rag tags. I’m starting to think that this is the only thing that I really give a rats @ss about. 

In that sea of botany the melons eventually overtake things. That’s by intent. The peas are spent, the beets don’t give a ***** and peppers rise right over it all. 
 

I learned about the sea of green technique from an old master of mine.

He taught me well.

 

9E217F09-F201-478C-AB81-41F41DC2EC95.jpeg

93E0FCDC-385C-426E-BE37-EA2DCFBA55C8.jpeg

0C160A7D-ACF6-4199-B18C-CFEEDABFC9A7.jpeg

  • Awesome! (+1) 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

This patch popped up on the compost pile I had meant to use but it pulled its own through the drought and thrived. We’ve eaten two zucchini/something hybrids that were delicious. Large diameter, very short, no seeds. Grilled the hell out of them.

These look like a pumpkin/buttercup. I’ll enjoy them whatever they turn out to be. 
 

We love everybody here at Baileyshire.

 

3F8FEFD5-8AB7-484D-AF9A-CD6215DF6AE9.jpeg

9D83F1F2-C990-4F29-BDE8-4C461E90E9CC.jpeg

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Don’t those suckers lure the ants? Made that mistake once with peonies outside the kitchen window. 
 

Also. JFC. Is that your hot tub?

Not sure but if they do it's nothing compared to the popsicle sticks my kids leave on the garage floor.

I guess it's technically a "spa" since it's connected to the pool.  I'd gladly trade my suburbia property for yours in a heartbeat.  I'd kill for some space and quiet. 

 

Edited by Indabuff
And I enjoy your gardening pics/posts
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

space and quiet. 

 I was pinned between the border and the Adirondacks. I grew up on forty private acres intermingled with a million of them that belonged to the public. 
I am fortunate. The wild dogs are yipping and calling each other.
The crickets are louder than my tinnitus. 
It’s a nice night.

And thank you for the compliment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got up to our Amherst MA house this weekend.  Got three ripe tomatoes... many more coming... a Jalopeno Pepper, a full bag of string beans, 4 zuchinni, 3 cukes and some peas.  The Brussel sprouts look like they are on their way... Carrots look decent... and the celery is making great strides.  Needed to put the peppers in more sun so may be out of luck for decent stuff and PS a couple of acorn squash are on their way as well more zuchinni.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Every! Single! Tomato! Something ate every single tomato that was ripening on my plants between 9 pm yesterday and now. They are gone without a trace. 

That's it! The dogs are sleeping outside tonight. When I wake up I'll dispose of the uneaten part of the corpse!

I'm so freaking mad. I go out of my way everyday to make sure the small woodland creatures in my yard aren't stalked and murdered. Well, not anymore! You ***** are all dead! Gopher, rabbits, birds, squirrels...either bring me the body of who did it or all of you will die! 

Alright, Clanton, you called down the thunder, well now you got it! I see a red sash, I kill the man wearing it!...you tell em, I'm comin! And Hells coming with me!

I want em dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burnt to the ground! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I want to piss on it's ashes!

Edited by ubkev
Link to post
Share on other sites

So we planted a total of 15 herbs in that planter a few months ago. We noticed by T&E that citronella need their own pots. Those things grow like Jack and the Beanstalk! Unfortunately, most of the other herbs have suffered and died because of them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ubkev said:

Every! Single! Tomato! Something ate every single tomato that was ripening on my plants between 9 pm yesterday and now. They are gone without a trace. 

That's it! The dogs are sleeping outside tonight. When I wake up I'll dispose of the uneaten part of the corpse!

I'm so freaking mad. I go out of my way everyday to make sure the small woodland creatures in my yard aren't stalked and murdered. Well, not anymore! You ***** are all dead! Gopher, rabbits, birds, squirrels...either bring me the body of who did it or all of you will die! 

Alright, Clanton, you called down the thunder, well now you got it! I see a red sash, I kill the man wearing it!...you tell em, I'm comin! And Hells coming with me!

I want em dead! I want his family dead! I want his house burnt to the ground! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I want to piss on it's ashes!

Squirrels used to get mine every year.  The only defense was planting more than they could eat..  They'll eat the damned things just as they are starting to tinge with red.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Critters. 
 

I feel for you @ubkev, but if it makes you feel any better you have supported an entirely new generation of critter. I think the universe ultimately favors life and you’ve provided it buddy!

I know I complain about the vermin but my work isn’t just for me. In the old world I would feed them and they would feed me. 
 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another mystery squash that has burst from the the compost pile. The plant looks like a pumpkin but not the squash. I did have delicata out with the pumpkins. That’s my best guess. 
 

And apparently these new hybrids produce like crazy. There are at least a dozen of these on the single plant.

81A78167-D7BC-430F-B49A-D13AE5D0A660.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have so much storable produce that I could live all winter without going out. 
 

That was sort of the theme when I planned things this year.

Next year I hope to isolate things more so I can go all heirloom.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Zucchini question. I've got zucchini growing. I've already picked several. But now they are kinda stalling out. They are not getting very big. My first one was probably a foot long and as big as a man's forearm in diameter. Now they're all about 6 inches and much thinner. It's been about a week and they don't seem to be getting any bigger. Is there anything I can do?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ubkev said:

Zucchini question. I've got zucchini growing. I've already picked several. But now they are kinda stalling out. They are not getting very big. My first one was probably a foot long and as big as a man's forearm in diameter. Now they're all about 6 inches and much thinner. It's been about a week and they don't seem to be getting any bigger. Is there anything I can do?

You’ll need to figure out how to make the sun stay in the sky longer. Are there yellowing leaves? Powdery mildew? I’m guessing your plants are just reacting to the change in daylight. These pumpkins should show you how it’s all going down. Those aren’t all of the pumpkins growing but that is the batch I planted early. Lots more little guys that came up in the compost trying to get a big as they can.
 

Anyways those little zucchini’s are perfect for roasting on the grill!

CBE89339-4BA3-4FB0-AB30-08DC3D98F10B.jpeg

  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mrs iT planted some purple tomatoes this year but forgot to tell me. The first one rotted on the vine because it looked half ripe. 
 

Oh yea she says. I forgot I planted those. Anyways, these are hands down the sweetest tomatoes I have ever eaten by leaps and bounds. 
 

I plan on doing a bunch for sauce next year.

This is a fully ripe, soft tomato.

 

7512B202-A89A-4C5F-9BAC-D84555EFA574.jpeg

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ogre said:

Mrs iT planted some purple tomatoes this year but forgot to tell me. The first one rotted on the vine because it looked half ripe. 
 

Oh yea she says. I forgot I planted those. Anyways, these are hands down the sweetest tomatoes I have ever eaten by leaps and bounds. 
 

I plan on doing a bunch for sauce next year.

This is a fully ripe, soft tomato.

 

7512B202-A89A-4C5F-9BAC-D84555EFA574.jpeg

Eat day one?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...